PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker Found after 21 Years

Sierra Echo
09-01-2010, 09:27
http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/hikers-find-frozen-remains-of-william-holland-21-years-after-he-disappeared/19614940?icid=main%7Cmain%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk1%7C1676 55

I'm glad the family now has closure.

Jonnycat
09-01-2010, 12:59
Wow, 21 years is a long time, and he was still in good condition. It's good that his family knows now.

I always wonder about the ones that just up and disappear from a trail, especially when it is a non-technical pursuit like backpacking. Between animals and the elements, remains don't last for very long at lower elevations, and the not knowing is tough.

Sierra Echo
09-01-2010, 13:03
some of them might disappear on purpose! like the husband who goes out to get a paper and never shows back up!

Jonnycat
09-01-2010, 13:12
Aye, there is always that as a possibility. A number of years ago, there was a fellow who disappeared from up in an area that I was backpacking in at the time (which really made me wonder what happened). He was also experienced, had all the right gear and such, but failed to make one of his check-ins.

They searched and searched for a couple of weeks, but never found a trace of him. One of the things they mentioned (this being in the local newspaper) was the possibility of it being a "planned" disappearance, but it still always really made me wonder at what happened to the guy (especially since I had spent time up in the area he vanished from).

ChinMusic
09-01-2010, 13:33
Why is he referred to as a "hiker" and not a "climber"?

JAK
09-01-2010, 13:36
The daughter was 5 or 6 at the time her dad died. Sad.
Let's all be careful out there. Also while driving and such.