PDA

View Full Version : I need a recommendation for a 5 day hike.

flagator
09-01-2010, 16:48
Hey there. Been a while since I've posted on the forums, but its great to be back. I have an opportunity to go hiking with a buddy of mine, and Im sure as heck gonna shoot on up there from FL. I like to avg about 12-15 miles a day. So Im looking to probably do atleast 60 miles, but not too much more. I've already done from Neels gap back south to Amicalola. I have one of those jobs and lives to where I'm never likely to have an opportunity to do a thruhike. So im gonna be a section hiker for life and Im totally okay with that. But one day I'd like the piece together the AT. I'm coming from N. Florida, so it takes me a good 7-8 hours to get up to the trail. I know the AT is all unique and each section has its own perks.... Last time I had a BLAST especially on blood mountain with all the rocks and all. However, I didnt run across any major waterfalls or river crossings.... it left just a little something to be desired. Im was wondering if theres any sections of the AT that have big river crossings where u might have to jump/walk across stones; i think it would be way cool. If there isnt anything like that.... than plain and simple if you had 5 days and could do ~60-70 miles what section is a must do..... and im talking anywhere from Neels Gap all the way up to Virginia. I appreciate all replies! Thanks.

10-K
09-01-2010, 17:00
Starting in Damascus and hiking north for 5 days would be a nice hike.

ChinMusic
09-01-2010, 17:06
Fontana to Davenport Gap = 72ish miles

That is all of the AT in the Smokies.

bigcranky
09-01-2010, 17:38
Park at Fontana Dam, get a ride back to Winding Stair Gap (US 64 west of Franklin) and walk north to your car. ~60 miles, great section.

ChinMusic
09-01-2010, 17:44
Park at Fontana Dam, get a ride back to Winding Stair Gap (US 64 west of Franklin) and walk north to your car. ~60 miles, great section.
I'm doing that one in early November myself.

Memphis Tim
09-01-2010, 19:12
If I remember correctly, that section kicked my ass. Beautiful, but with huge ups and downs. It does have the NOC in the middle and that's a great pit stop. The Smokies are actually much easier. Once you've climbed Shuckstack you are mostly hiking at elevation. Of course that means not a lot of streams. As for fording rivers, Maine is really the only state where that is still required but you can always skip the bridges and plunge right in if you want. With enough rain there isn't any part of the trail where you avoid sloshing through water but I almost never passed up an opportunity to soak my shoes.
If you want swimming and the largest waterfall on the trail you could start at Kincora Hostel in northern TN. You would then hike north and come almost immediately to Laurel Falls then Watuga Lake. From there you hike on to Damascus and Grayson Highlands.

Reid
09-01-2010, 19:35
The higher you are up in the mountains the less likely you'll be to cross a major river. Most streams start high in the hills and flow down to the valleys and so on. That doesn't mean there arn't any I'm just saying that as a general rule. One waterfall that's always amazed me is in Columbus NC. It has an incredible amount of water flowing from a stream at the very top of the mountain and just falls off the side of the mountain for probably 700 ft altogether.

bigcranky
09-01-2010, 21:27
If I remember correctly, that section kicked my ass. Beautiful, but with huge ups and downs.

Yup, it's kicked my butt a few times now. Really nice section, though, with some good balds, some towers, great views if the weather is good, and NOC for a hot meal and a bunk if you want it. (Though the store and restaurant close in the winter, the bunkhouse is usually open.)

ChinMusic
09-02-2010, 12:49
Fontana to Davenport Gap = 72ish miles

That is all of the AT in the Smokies.
I scratch this suggestion.

It is being reported in another thread: " looks like the AT is dry from Fontana to Derrick's knob--roughly 22.318 miles"

Gray Blazer
09-02-2010, 14:24
Sam's Gap is the fastest place on the AT to get to from Jax. Davenport Gap takes about the same amount of time to get to it. If you jog over to I-75, Franklin and Standing Indian and the Nantahalas are the closest.

If you started at Sam's Gap you could get to the Nolichucky River in 2 or three days. Big Bald is beautiful with views (if you are lucky) of much of Western NC. You could end up at Beauty Spot (nice views) or Iron Mountain Gap. Or you could do what I do, that is hike in one direction for a few days and then turn around and hike back.

If you start at Davenport Gap you could splash in the Pigeon River and then head north to Hot Springs with views on Max Patch and Snow Bird.

Hiking in the Nantahalas could give you a chance to wade in the Nantahala River.

If you start in Damascus, VA there is a beautiful river that you follow for a little ways north of town with some nice swimming holes.

Have fun.

flagator
09-02-2010, 16:57
Thank for all the replies. I eventually decided to do the smoky mountain segment, and made arrangements for the shelters last night, I made the shuttle reservations this morning. Only to recieve the info now about the dry spot Chinmusic is referring too. If I completely tank up everytime I spot water in my bladder and my nalgene think I should be able to make it?? I have a big playpus bladder and a nalgene, maybe i can bring my extra nalgene.... although it would be unfortunate to carry all that extra weight, more than cancels out all my ultralight stuff. I will have to wait it out and see if conditions improve, i really hope so. otherwise I'm going to have to change plans.

ChinMusic
09-02-2010, 17:15
Thank for all the replies. I eventually decided to do the smoky mountain segment, and made arrangements for the shelters last night, I made the shuttle reservations this morning.
When is your trip? A couple days of good rain could change things quickly.

If the first 22 is dry it would be late in your second day before you get to water. That is a LOT to carry. I would guess 4-6L min, if the weather isn't too bad, could swing it but I would defer to others with more experience carrying over this period of time.

flagator
09-02-2010, 17:21
sept. 10 (Davenport) --> Sept. 14th (Fontana), so yeah things have time to change.

Memphis Tim
09-02-2010, 18:43
If Hurricane Earl moves inland things are going to change in a hurry.

ChinMusic
09-02-2010, 19:06
If Hurricane Earl moves inland things are going to change in a hurry.
I don't think Earl will have any effect that far west. Radar effects right now is way off and it will be moving away.