PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike Completion Title Question

iReact
09-01-2010, 21:43
Is there a title for someone who has the Triple Crown distinction (PCT, CDT, AT) and they also have the ADT under their belt?

I mean, other than nuts, awesome and super human...of course.

Just a silly newb question. Thanks.

Taba
09-01-2010, 21:54
Professional hiker

RedneckRye
09-01-2010, 22:44
Addict.

Hooch
09-01-2010, 23:09
"Hiking's for suckers." - Jester

Blue Jay
09-02-2010, 18:53
Professional hiker

He did not mention getting paid to hike.

Taba
09-03-2010, 11:50
He did not mention getting paid to hike.

We have gone over this already in the Mountains-to-Sea Trail forum. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47929&page=13

I would prefer to not rehash the same subject. However, if you spend half of your life hiking these long distance trails then you create a job out of hiking. Each of the trails mentioned take 6 months or longer to finish. So that equals half of the year dedicated to one thing. No, most hikers don't earn money while hiking but if you do something this long and are more acquainted to the trail life then the cyber-hikers like Blue Jay, then hiking is your job for those months that you are on the trail. A hiker's job is to complete a goal, which is what most jobs consist of. The reason there is not an official title like "professional hiker" is because we don't compete against others to win gold medals or try to be number one. We compete against ourselves. Recognition of our acheivements can only be received from the ones who know what we go through to accomplish these tremendous feats.

Blue Jay, why don't you try to complete at least one of these hikes before making anymore ridiculous remarks. Professional means creating a job out of what you do best. Most entreprenuers don't make any money in the first few years of their business venture but yet they are still considered professionals in their field.

I like this thread and would like more people with common sense to reply with other names for the hikers who have done these hikes and more. This is fun and should remain that way. Thank you and stay positive.

Mags
09-03-2010, 11:53
A person who hikes the ADT, CDT, PCT and AT?

They are called a "hiker"...

Just like the person who has hiked the local open space, or did a chunk of the AT or loves to climb the 4000 footers in NH.

:sun

Paul Mags; hiker...

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2010, 12:05
Professional vacationer?

ChinMusic
09-03-2010, 13:04
Independently poor

JAK
09-03-2010, 13:34
Is there a title for someone who has the Triple Crown distinction (PCT, CDT, AT) and they also have the ADT under their belt?

I mean, other than nuts, awesome and super human...of course.

Just a silly newb question. Thanks.I did it myself the other day. Only in the virtual sense of course. Took a few hours. Had to stop for tea at one point.

I prefer the term, "All being. Master of Time, Space, and Dimension."

Dogwood
09-03-2010, 16:37
Why are titles so important? PLEASE, MOVE ON from that ridiculous @#$!.

Even the title of Triple Crowner is beginning to get overdone. Move beyond the ego!!! You'll have a more satisfying hike and life!!!

Dogwood
09-03-2010, 16:50
One of the reasons why titles and labels are SO important to folks, and is also the reason why we read posters describing such a a hiker that has accomplished the feat of hiking the AT, PCT, CDT, and ADT as "nuts, awesome, superhuman, professional hiker or vacationer, etc" is because we are so caught up in the ego and have been deceived as humans into settling for so far far far less than we are capable of!

I find, during my thru-hiking treks, WAY TOO MANY hikers who are caught up in chasing a title because their egos demand it! With all the postive experiences that can arise from a long distance hike or even several long distance thru-hikes like mentioned above I find one of the least meaningful to be hiking out of ego(pride) chasing some boastful title!

Graywolf
09-03-2010, 17:37
"Wanderlust" Thats what I call it, or as Mags put it, just plain ole' hiker..

ChinMusic
09-03-2010, 19:14
I think WAY TOO MANY get caught up in worrying about what others label hikes..........;)

Taba
09-03-2010, 19:22
It's not labeling rather a description of experience.

Mags
09-03-2010, 20:39
My girlfriend often calls me a dumb ass.

Now there's a title! :banana

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2010, 21:16
My girlfriend often calls me a dumb ass.

Now there's a title! :banana

Hmm, my wife's been calling me that for years.
I'm thinking maybe I'm a professional dumbass.

Mags
09-06-2010, 14:09
Hmm, my wife's been calling me that for years.
I'm thinking maybe I'm a professional dumbass.

If we take the plunge and move the status from living together to being married, my suspicion is that I too will get the title of professional dumbass.

Trailbender
09-06-2010, 16:04
We have gone over this already in the Mountains-to-Sea Trail forum. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47929&page=13

I would prefer to not rehash the same subject. However, if you spend half of your life hiking these long distance trails then you create a job out of hiking. Each of the trails mentioned take 6 months or longer to finish. So that equals half of the year dedicated to one thing. No, most hikers don't earn money while hiking but if you do something this long and are more acquainted to the trail life then the cyber-hikers like Blue Jay, then hiking is your job for those months that you are on the trail. A hiker's job is to complete a goal, which is what most jobs consist of. The reason there is not an official title like "professional hiker" is because we don't compete against others to win gold medals or try to be number one. We compete against ourselves. Recognition of our acheivements can only be received from the ones who know what we go through to accomplish these tremendous feats.

Blue Jay, why don't you try to complete at least one of these hikes before making anymore ridiculous remarks. Professional means creating a job out of what you do best. Most entreprenuers don't make any money in the first few years of their business venture but yet they are still considered professionals in their field.

I like this thread and would like more people with common sense to reply with other names for the hikers who have done these hikes and more. This is fun and should remain that way. Thank you and stay positive.

I met Blue Jay thru hiking the AT. He is not a cyber hiker, he actually gets out there and hikes.

I do agree about the professional thing, though. I am a professional videogamer, though I do not make money at it. It is one of the few sports I actually enjoy. Well, other than hiking and target shooting.

Blue Jay
09-07-2010, 10:34
I met Blue Jay thru hiking the AT. He is not a cyber hiker, he actually gets out there and hikes.

I do agree about the professional thing, though. I am a professional videogamer, though I do not make money at it. It is one of the few sports I actually enjoy. Well, other than hiking and target shooting.

Hollywood, great to hear from you. You are one of my favorites from this year. So glad I stopped at that shelter as I also got to meet Nuthatch and SeaOtter there.:sun

stranger
09-09-2010, 15:28
Titles are so important to hikers because titles are important to people. And many (not all of course) accomplished hikers I know seem to lack any other form of accomplishment, therefore the hiking title becomes even more important as it's their identity in many ways.

Musicians are quite the same in this regard.

When you put so much into something, it's only natural to be recognized in some way. That's only human.

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 15:41
Titles are so important to hikers because titles are important to people. And many (not all of course) accomplished hikers I know seem to lack any other form of accomplishment, therefore the hiking title becomes even more important as it's their identity in many ways.

Musicians are quite the same in this regard.

When you put so much into something, it's only natural to be recognized in some way. That's only human.

I guess professional hiker and professional musician do sound better than music bum and hiker bum. But if you're not making a reasonable profit / income at it, well, society isn't going to accept someone's self-annointed title. In defense of professional musicians, I know some professional musicians who make their living at it and the title certainly fits. I can't say I honestly know anyone who makes a living simply by hiking itself. Some hikers do make money by writing books and guides, so I guess guys like Colin Fletcher, Ed Garvey, Ray Jardine, and others probably qualify - but had they not written books / articles they likely would not have made any money at hiking itself.

Dogwood
09-09-2010, 16:15
And many (not all of course) accomplished hikers I know seem to lack any other form of accomplishment...- Stranger

Am I just imagining it or did some hikers just get stepped on?

When you put so much into something, it's only natural to be recognized in some way. That's only human. - Stranger

Not really! It is for some, perhaps most, but not for all hikers! I know I'm not getting through to everyone but one of the chief reasons for wanting to be recognized is going back to ego. Hiking is one of those activities which confuses so many about why it's done and typically prompts the question, "why do you hike." It's just for that reason. Some can't comprehend that someone would engage in an activity without there being some kind of egotistical reward. It's one of the aspects I enjoy about hiking and the reason why you don't see all the trail acronyms and yrs of my thru-hikes below my trailname on this website. There are no spectators and little recognition. There are no medals or trophies. There are no umpires, officials, or referees. I was never asked "why do I play basketball or football." Why? There was an obvious ego reward that folks could understand.

ChinMusic
09-09-2010, 16:29
It's one of the aspects I enjoy about hiking and the reason why you don't see all the trail acronyms and yrs of my thru-hikes below my trailname on this website.
I like the acronyms listed and do NOT look at it as bragging. It takes awhile on this board to know who knows their stuff. Knowing that someone has walked the walk helps with this process but is certainly not the be-all end-all.

Dogwood
09-09-2010, 17:26
Acronyms are not necessarily good or bad. I sometimes like to know who I'm talking with and acronyms help me determine that. I'm stating why I choose to not list acronyms and I darn well do think some list acronyms as a point of bragging.

stranger
09-09-2010, 23:54
Dogwood...I think you may be attracted to me or something...anyhow thanks again for your comments.

I didn't mean to step on anyone, it's simply my experience. I have alot of friends who have done multiple AT hikes, a few triple crown friends, etc...Some of them have personally told me they struggle to identify with anything other than hiking and feel that their accomplishments are not recognized in any way in the real world.

I didn't mean to say they have not accomplished anything else, but perhaps they don't see some accomplishments as meaningful. I respect these people greatly and am impressed by them, but that's not my point.

My point is about recognition, and seeking recognition, or appreciation is a fairly common human trait...so is lying.

4eyedbuzzard
09-10-2010, 00:48
I think that to a great degree hiking is a very selfish / self-serving activity (please don't take this as necessarily negative). Virtually anyone who is labelled a "professional" in an endeavor creates something that other people want, be it a service or product. Be they a doctor, or nurse, or entertainer, or athlete, or plumber, or shelf stocker they provide a service of some sort to others, and consumers or society in some way compensates them for their efforts. Hiking simply doesn't accomplish this. Part of the reason may be that pretty much anyone in reasonable physical condition could, given the time and money and determination, go off and achieve the same outcome. There's no formal education, no licenses, and even no experience required (complete neophytes have successfully thru-hiked). Another part is that there is no demand for hiking as a spectator sport, nor is there any hiking competition (at least any marketable ones).

People hike for many reasons, but for the most part those reasons have to do with fulfilling internal desires to recreate, experience the wilderness, escape from daily grind, or even prove something to themselves, etc. They are all very good and healthy reasons - but very selfish ones. Ultimately, as hiking is self-serving, there is no market, and therefore no hiking profession.

Hiking a long distance trail is an impressive personal accomplishment. It's very difficult. But if that's the only thing a person has ever been successful at, I'd be thinking hiking bum - the word professional simply wouldn't enter my mind. There's a lot more to life than walking around in the woods and mountains. I'm more impressed by someone who works, raises a family, gets an education, serves their country / community, etc. regardless of how much walking in the woods they've ever done.

Jester2000
09-10-2010, 01:09
Some can't comprehend that someone would engage in an activity without there being some kind of egotistical reward. It's one of the aspects I enjoy about hiking and the reason why you don't see all the trail acronyms and yrs of my thru-hikes below my trailname on this website.

I like the acronyms listed and do NOT look at it as bragging. It takes awhile on this board to know who knows their stuff. Knowing that someone has walked the walk helps with this process but is certainly not the be-all end-all.

Acronyms are not necessarily good or bad. I sometimes like to know who I'm talking with and acronyms help me determine that. I'm stating why I choose to not list acronyms and I darn well do think some list acronyms as a point of bragging.

I list on whiteblaze what trails I've hiked so that, for example, if I answer a question about the PCT, the OP can at least know that I'm not completely full of ****. Mostly, but not completely.

I didn't mean to step on anyone, it's simply my experience. I have alot of friends who have done multiple AT hikes, a few triple crown friends, etc...Some of them have personally told me they struggle to identify with anything other than hiking and feel that their accomplishments are not recognized in any way in the real world.

Most of the Triple Crowners I know don't really care one way or another whether their accomplishments are recognized in any way in the "real world," wherever that may be.

Jester2000
09-10-2010, 01:11
. . . Another part is that there is no demand for hiking as a spectator sport . . .

Depends on the hikers. I'd pay to watch the Sequin Sisters hike.

Dogwood
09-10-2010, 01:36
Depends on the hikers. I'd pay to watch the Sequin Sisters hike.

I have pics of them hiking in their sequined dresses while wearing hiking shoes! After I got over seeing them in the woods far from civilization dressed like that, realizing it's not a flashback from a past bad peyote trip, I did find them amusing and beautiful, to say the least! They are fun to be around too! Good trail angels too!

Taba
09-10-2010, 04:05
What if a hiker catches the eye of a corporation that makes a product suitable for hiking and they sponsor product to be shown off, talked about, tested and recommended to others while hiking? Does that hiker have to be professional, while hiking, to be a good representative of the products and companies that have sponsored them? I am sure that corporations do not want someone to act unprofessional while representing their company.

Blue Jay
09-10-2010, 08:25
A person who hikes the ADT, CDT, PCT and AT?

They are called a "hiker"...

This post says it all.

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 15:24
Ditto Mags and Blue Jays post

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 15:28
Dogwood...I think you may be attracted to me or something...Stranger

I am if you are a hot 30 or so yr old female with a good balance of confidence, intelligence, and humbleness, enjoy the outdoors, are more impressed with nature than the latest flat screened TV or SUV, and most importantly have a place I can crash at in New Zealand when I begin my journey there in two years!

Trailbender
09-22-2010, 19:29
Hiking a long distance trail is an impressive personal accomplishment. It's very difficult. But if that's the only thing a person has ever been successful at, I'd be thinking hiking bum - the word professional simply wouldn't enter my mind. There's a lot more to life than walking around in the woods and mountains. I'm more impressed by someone who works, raises a family, gets an education, serves their country / community, etc. regardless of how much walking in the woods they've ever done.
Not really, many people define success different ways. I haven't found anything better so far than walking around the woods and mountains. The word professional definitely would enter my mind. Most people that hike that much take adversity a lot easier than your average person.

4eyedbuzzard
09-22-2010, 22:41
Not really, many people define success different ways. I haven't found anything better so far than walking around the woods and mountains. The word professional definitely would enter my mind. Most people that hike that much take adversity a lot easier than your average person.
You aren't a professional anything until someone starts paying you to do something. As for getting paid for walking around the woods and mountains - don't hold your breath. Hiking isn't a job - it's a friggin' vacation for crying out loud.