PDA

View Full Version : Delorme gps expert needed

lou19604
09-02-2010, 00:17
got topo 8 paid for year subscript using the PN-20
Trying to go from port clinton to swatara atate park found the maps trail is pretty well marked on the map What i want ot do is take that section put it on my gps that way if for some reason we steer off course we can get back on . i can transfer everything the main problem is i end up with a straight line from starting point to finishing point i cant get it to follow the actual trail

The Old Fhart
09-02-2010, 07:18
Lou19604-“the main problem is i end up with a straight line from starting point to finishing point i cant get it to follow the actual trail”
I know with my Garmin 60CSx I have loaded both the City Navigator map set that allows me to follow routes (roads and streets) and also loaded the US Topos for the same area. The City Navigator can only follow roads if I choose routing or it can do a straight line if I choose off road. It will not follow trails. The US Topos will show me pretty good topo detail including some trails but it can’t do routing, road or trail.

Check with Delorme to see if you’re asking your GPS to do something it wasn’t designed to do, even though it would be a great feature for us hikers.

Shutterbug
09-02-2010, 10:33
got topo 8 paid for year subscript using the PN-20
Trying to go from port clinton to swatara atate park found the maps trail is pretty well marked on the map What i want ot do is take that section put it on my gps that way if for some reason we steer off course we can get back on . i can transfer everything the main problem is i end up with a straight line from starting point to finishing point i cant get it to follow the actual trail

I have a PN-20, but it has been a couple of years since I have used it. I am rusty on the procedures. I remember that it can use a trail as a route if you set it right, if the trail is shown on the Topo Maps.

I just orded the PN-60W, so I will be brushing up on my Deloreme procedures before my next hike. If you don't get an answer from someone else, I will respond again after I am back up to speed. It will probably be faster to get out your Manual.

58starter
09-02-2010, 15:21
Hello, out there. First make sure you are using the trail opt. at the lower right of the route page.
if you still get a staight line, go somewhere on the trail and mark it as a via.
This should help, if not post again and I will plug it into mine and see what I get.

The Old Fhart
09-02-2010, 15:30
I checked and found this on the Delorme site (http://mapstore.delorme.com/byUse/outdoorrecreation/samples/CreatingTrailRoutes/popup.htm) for TopoUSA 8.0. I tried it just on my desktop PC using my TopoUSA 7.0 and it does work nicely on the PC but I don't know if I can upload it to my Garmin. Try it on your PN-20 and see what happens.

Scenario:
You want to create a trail route, for a map you wish to print and take with you, and-or to upload the route file to your handheld GPS receiver.
Solution:
Within the Route tab, click on Start and drop the green icon at your starting location. Click on Finish and drop the red icon at your destination. Topo USA 7.0 will automatically create your route for you. There is no tedious tracing required. If you wish to take a trail other than the one the program selects, click on Via and drop a white icon on your preferred trail. Your route will automatically re-calculate. Within the Route and Profile tabs, you’ll find invaluable information including distance, estimated time to destination, elevation gain, climbing distance, and more. You can also use your cursor to trace the profile, and get specific information for any point along the way (as you trace the profile, an icon moves along the trail). All this information will help you to determine the route that best suits your preferences.

When calculating trail routes, you can select either a hiker or mountain biker icon, in order to most accurately estimate the time for your trip. Check beforehand to determine if mountain bikes are allowed on the trail you have selected.
http://mapstore.delorme.com/byUse/outdoorrecreation/samples/CreatingTrailRoutes/Creating-Trail-Routes-2.jpg

lou19604
09-04-2010, 02:38
yes that worked thank you a million

cevans
09-08-2010, 21:14
You can also take your map software which as the trails marked on it,,and copy them , then download as you would a state or part of a map to your gps..by section on your mapping software of your computer. It will download everything you see...same as if you download Sateiltte imagary,

cevans
09-08-2010, 21:16
the new Topo 9,,,has all of the campsites, for example on each trail of the GSMNP, marked even,,including all of the shelter houses on the AT.