PDA

View Full Version : Smokies loop hike-AT and BMT combined???

4x4Dragon
09-02-2010, 00:32
So i'm looking at this area for a hike next month. Have 4 days set aside and want to do something that would start/end on the Big Creek Trail and the Baxter Creek Trail and would perhaps stretch out as far as encompassing TriCorner Knob but at the very least Cosby Knob and Laurel Gap shelters.
I'm just curious of thoughts on what direction i should do it...... clockwise or counterclockwise??
trail map snip-it attached with proposed area in orange and proposed start/end in red circle.

gollwoods
09-02-2010, 05:45
clockwise is good I did that hike starting at big creek, through my sterling, to laurel gap for the first night. then cosby the second night. baxter creek trail is long climb. doing the reverse you probably would go to tricorner for the first night then have to tent at mt sterling the second night. you could add the raven fork hughes ridge trail if you had another day which would go laurel gap- BC site 47-tricorner shelter for a nice four day hike.

generoll
09-02-2010, 07:58
I did a loop similar to yours several years ago. I started and finished at Smokemont going out on the BMT to Big Creek, staying at Standing Bear and then returning via the AT as far as Pecks Corner and then down connecting trails back to Smokemont.

4x4Dragon
09-02-2010, 10:38
Thnx guys. I'm still not totally decided but I think I may do a smokemont start/loop for October and then a big creek start/loop for thanksgiving or visa versa.

gollwoods
09-04-2010, 11:40
i'm headed up there oct 22 but starting at cosby/