PDA

View Full Version : What kind of panties?

Prettywoman0172
09-02-2010, 13:33
I know I read somewhere that there a antibacterial panties made of synthetic material. Help?

Thanks.

Ann

gumball
09-02-2010, 17:34
No underwear. I wear running shorts with the sewn in underwear if I wear anything at all--otherwise, completely comando.

Smile
09-03-2010, 06:16
Exofficio. Makes travel underwear for women and men ( they call them 10 day underwear in their ads).

Roots
09-03-2010, 10:05
exofficio are great and so are patagonia. i lean more toward the patagonia due to comfort.

Smile
09-03-2010, 13:31
Roots has got it right, the patagonia are more comfortable. Waistband is the difference I think. Both aren't cheap, but way worth it :)

sbhikes
09-03-2010, 13:50
I have the exofficio. I wore one pair for the whole PCT. I've been using them for many years. They last a long long time.

Erin
09-03-2010, 22:28
Just got the exofficio briefs today thru Magellan. Way cheaper than in stores. Liked the Patagonia, but I wanted a full brief and these are supposed to be comfortable. Leaving Thursday for SHT in Minnesota!

warraghiyagey
09-03-2010, 22:29
exofficio are great and so are patagonia. i lean more toward the patagonia due to comfort.
Me too . . . . . . .

sarzy
09-05-2010, 00:47
with you Gumball - commando! who wants to wear 10 day panties? ;-)

Trailbender
09-05-2010, 08:29
I like the exofficio string bikinis. They are comfortable and long lasting. For a much cheaper alternative, the Vassarette microfiber hikini panties at wal mart are very comfortable and durable. I had a pair last 600 miles on my thru hike. I still wear them when I hike and they are in great shape. They do the same job as the expensive panties, but are much cheaper and just as comfortable.

Being a man, I have found that the elastic bands on panties don't last as long for me. I have found women's underwear to be MUCH lighter than men's(0.5 oz or less, vs 2-3 oz). They are also much more comfortable and attractive.

TinaLouise
09-06-2010, 17:20
They are also much more comfortable and attractive.

:D Ok, that just hit me as funny!!

I've tried the terramar brand and it's ok. It's comfortable, washes out and drys overnight.

Daydream Believer
09-07-2010, 09:30
I also recommend the ExOfficio travel undies. I wear them daily now and can't stand cotton undies any more. I found the boy shorts style to be quite uncomfortable but the briefs are just right for me.

SoulSista
09-09-2010, 16:45
I wear the patagonia ones. They are super light, wash up and dry fast. Havent tried any others, since I'm happy with these.

Trailbender
09-22-2010, 19:24
I also recommend the ExOfficio travel undies. I wear them daily now and can't stand cotton undies any more. I found the boy shorts style to be quite uncomfortable but the briefs are just right for me.

Cotton panties are obsolete.

Stitch/Belch
10-18-2010, 20:09
one more vote for going commando. Didn't wear anything on my thru, and I was perfectly fine. :)

Erin
10-18-2010, 21:48
Used the exofficio panties---two of us did on a recent hike. Love them. They do not ride up and are what they advertise. Dry quickly when washed. Order them on line-you will save 10-15 bucks by not buying them at an outfitter store. I got mine thru Magellan. Worth every dime.

mad4scrapping
10-19-2010, 00:44
I wear these. They are available at Target, etc. and have good wicking properties. Reasonably priced too. I don't think they have anti bacterial properties, however. Super comfy.

greenmtnboy
10-19-2010, 15:08
Hemp is a great fabric. 50/50 mixes are good too. Merino for socks and shirts, hemp for underpants.

StormBird
10-19-2010, 17:04
Go cheap. Just stay away from cotton. Anything you buy is going to reek after a few days out so why spend the extra money?

Wise Old Owl
10-19-2010, 19:38
Me too . . . . . . .

Come on stay out of the female forum......http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/2.jpg

Trailbender
10-22-2010, 03:54
Come on stay out of the female forum......

I post if the question pertains to my experiences and gear use. Also, it is surprising that on WB people wouldn't think outside the box on gear selection. After using and comparing them, men's underwear are heavy, baggy, and a poor choice. Women's underwear are better in every respect. As for being embarrassed? I left them sitting in the sun to dry out with the rest of my clothing. What everyone else thinks is meaningless, when it comes to my choices for myself.

WILDERNURSE
10-22-2010, 05:06
Wow! I have a whole new outlook on panties now....

Trailbender
10-22-2010, 06:54
Wow! I have a whole new outlook on panties now....

Yeah, I looked at the weight, 0.5 oz or less, vs 2-3 oz for men's. That alone was more than enough, combined with all the other reasons and it was a no-brainer.

bramblingbird
10-24-2010, 14:39
how many pairs of undies do you guys carry? 2? 1? 3?

Trailbender
10-24-2010, 17:30
how many pairs of undies do you guys carry? 2? 1? 3?

I carried 3 on my thru, one for hiking in, one for wearing in camp, and one for wearing when I washed clothes. Any less was kind of a pain, and I figured at less than a half ounce, I could spare another pair for the comfort it brings.

I can't go commando, I tried that first, thought it was a great idea. Don't have to buy underwear anymore, and nothing weighs less than nothing. It was a miserable failure, and I got bad chafing from it before I decided it didn't work for me. I am quite a bit bigger than average, so that might be the issue with chafing, others said they had no issues.

Erin
10-24-2010, 18:38
The exofficios come in black so who would know the difference between male and female unless someone was really checking. The poster above said why bother? Just my opinion, but these things did not have the usual stink.And very comfortable.

Trailbender
10-24-2010, 19:56
The exofficios come in black so who would know the difference between male and female unless someone was really checking. The poster above said why bother? Just my opinion, but these things did not have the usual stink.And very comfortable.

I have found that no one really cares, I wore pink ones that I got at wal mart that are obviously women's. I change in my college rec center locker room wearing them, and no one has said anything.

Unfortunately, the company that makes the good ones wal mart carries are discontinuing them.

alverhootzt
10-24-2010, 20:21
Go cheap. Just stay away from cotton. Anything you buy is going to reek after a few days out so why spend the extra money?

That's been my experience,too. I just went to JC Penney's during a sale and saw Barely There, some decent Jockey synthetics and what I eventually went with b/c of better fit, Ambrielle. All were lightweight and super comfortable. I can't wait til the rest of my cotton undies wear out.

Trailbender
10-24-2010, 22:36
I can't wait til the rest of my cotton undies wear out.

I'd just stop wearing them, personally. Comfortable panties are not something that can be overlooked. They are the foundation of anything I wear.

StormBird
10-26-2010, 01:42
I carried 3 pairs.

bramblingbird
10-26-2010, 19:40
thanks!!:D

realdusi
11-17-2010, 01:16
I have one pair of ex officio and I take panty liners. On nice days I go commando to let my panties and myself air out and dry.
Don't do cotton... made that mistake, and couldn't throw them away quick enough after I got off the trail.

Chillfactor
11-17-2010, 21:39
3 pair Exofficios in the boycut style. Comfortable, dry overnight, and easy to clean. Cotton absorbs perspiration and smell and take forever to dry.
I hang mine inside my tent and they're dry by morning.

drifters quest
11-18-2010, 22:18
I started with exofficio underwear,but when it rained I chafed. I ended up not wearing any. I worse a skort that had bike type shorts sewn in

Trailbender
11-19-2010, 11:38
I started with exofficio underwear,but when it rained I chafed. I ended up not wearing any. I worse a skort that had bike type shorts sewn in

I did notice a bit of chafing with the exofficios. I have found that panties made of microfiber have no chafing issues, at least for me.

Blissful
11-19-2010, 13:24
Barely There is excellent. I wore those more than my ex officio ones on my last hike.

TinaLouise
12-12-2010, 09:21
This cross dressing with underware can go both ways.... I just bought some silk men's boxer shorts that I'm gonna give a try out. The nice thing I'm thinking is that I can wear these at night around the camp as shorts and no one would be the wiser.

TinaLouise

daylaandjasper
12-12-2010, 21:50
I wore under armor spandex shorts under a skirt- I'm also overweight and it helped a lot with chafing. Even when I was skinny at the end of my 2001 thru I still wore spandx shorts under shorts- they are just a must have for me and serve as underwear as well.