PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Boots for thru-hike

Undershaft
09-02-2010, 13:33
Six years ago I bought a pair of Merrell Monarch II hiking boots. They were the most comfortable boots I've ever owned and gave good service for many years. They worked well on some of the most difficult terrain the Whites and Mahoosucs could dish out. I wore them until they fell apart. Unfortunately the Monarch series for REI doesn't seem to be in production anymore. I'm looking for a similar boot for my thru-hike next year. Any suggestions?

I'd like reasonably lightweight and breathable, but sturdy with good ankle support and not prohibitively expensive. That's not too much to ask, is it?:rolleyes:

I like to hear from experienced hikers what you wore on your AT Thru-Hike and how it worked for you. There are a staggering number of hiking boots to choose from and I could use some help in narrowing down the field. I'm not tied to Merrell brand, but use them as a reference because of the success I had with them before.

Raul Perez
09-02-2010, 13:44
From my experience and reading a lot of other reviews a lot of merrels tend to not stand up to the abuse anymore. Still their line is really comfortable.

Jonnycat
09-02-2010, 14:59
I used to love the Monarch line of boots. I would get the leather versions, and the best ones (I think they were the I's or II's) were some of the finest boots I ever owned.

Then, like REI seems to do on every piece of really good gear that carries the REI label, they reformulated them and turned them into utter garbage, to the point where the last ones I bought (Monarch III's, maybe Monarch IV's) got returned within a few weeks.

But I digress.

If you liked the fit of the Monarchs, you might try Vasque Summit boots (they are what I use now). They are heavy suckers, but they have a nice stiff sole, and they use some of the grippiest soles I have ever encountered in a boot. You can walk over sticks and rocks and your feet will never notice it.

canoehead
09-02-2010, 15:05
The ASOLO 520 backpacker are a great boot and decent warranty

Odd Man Out
09-02-2010, 15:21
I am not familiar with the Monarch line, but I have use the Merrill Moab Ventilators and really liked them. The are very breathable (hence "ventilator") but they do come in a Gore Tex and non Gore Tex version. They also come in a low top and mid top version. They are one of the least expensive of the Merrill line. I find them very comfy (like wearing pillows on my feet). As for wear, I have not hiked long distances in them, but some short hikes. And even though they seem to be made for hot dry climates (and I have the low-top non goretex version), they have been fine as my my every-day shoe for the last few winters when we have been getting 120 inches of snow each season.

Penn-J
09-02-2010, 16:56
I used 3 pairs of Merrell's Moab Ventilator's on my A.T. thru hike last year. 2 new pairs, and 1 old pair with about 500 miles on them.
I love Merrell! Very comfy!
Good luck on your hike and have fun!

Undershaft
09-02-2010, 18:12
That's good to hear about the moab ventilators. Most of the reviews I read raved about the comfort, but I wonder about the durability. How many miles did you get out of them? A lot of the reviews also mentioned that the soles were kind of thin and not too stiff. This is great for light weight and initial comfort but my feet will not want to feel every root and pebble I step on. That leads to some sore dogs at the end of the day. Any comments on that Penn-J?

Danielsen
09-02-2010, 21:41
I used to feel the same way about my merrell pulse boots, which I got for my first backpacking trip about 5 years ago. Ah, the nostalgia. Sadly, the Pulse line also seems to be discontinued and after numerous winters of walking on roads encrusted in ice-melting chemicals the old boots have deteriorated to the point where I retired them this year. After traveling a few thousand miles up the andes with the soles separating from the toes first. :D A good send-off, I'd say.

Penn-J
09-03-2010, 02:20
That's good to hear about the moab ventilators. Most of the reviews I read raved about the comfort, but I wonder about the durability. How many miles did you get out of them? A lot of the reviews also mentioned that the soles were kind of thin and not too stiff. This is great for light weight and initial comfort but my feet will not want to feel every root and pebble I step on. That leads to some sore dogs at the end of the day. Any comments on that Penn-J?
To be honest Undershaft, Merrells are the only boots I have ever hiked in.
I remember buying my first pair years ago knowing I wanted something mid weight. I diddnt want big heavy leather boots, or just sneakers (which some of the ultra lightweight backpackers wear) and Merrells were just really comfy. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?
So I can't really compare them to other boots as far as the soles being kinda thin.
Maybe you could take the insoles out and replace them with superfeet or some other kinda tough insole if your worried about sore feet.
I take out the Merrell insoles and replace them Dr. Scholl's gel insoles. They don't last to long but man, thier comfortable!
I used 3 pair altogher. I think I got about 800 miles out of each new pair. (they were a little "holy" by that point though)
And I used an old pair for the rest of the trail.
Oh, and I remember buying a pair once that really dug into the back of my ankles when going uphill. So I returned them at REI. Just a heads up.
Anyhoo, hope this helps some.

Harrison Bergeron
09-03-2010, 12:14
I bought a pair of Merril Phasers this spring, after I tried to use a pair of trail runners on the AT approach trail and regetted it. So far I like them a lot, but I've only got about 100 miles on them so far, from a few weekend hikes. They're light, waterproof, and seem very sturdy so far. They've never given me a blister. I'm might upgrade the insoles, though, before my big section hike next spring.