PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Spray?

illininagel
11-25-2004, 16:15
I just completed a long bike ride via farm roads in Central Illinois. From past experience, I knew that I might run into some aggressive farm dogs during the ride.

During my last ride, I was able to out-run two dogs. However, at one point two dogs were facing me from up ahead on the road! :eek: Not wishing to turn around and add four miles to my trek, I took a chance and proceeded directly by them. They ended up being friendly enough and trotted along side me for a few blocks before tiring and turning back home. :dance

This time I was armed with pepper spray. I figured that if any of the dogs came at me, the pepper spray might work to turn them away.

I had never bought or used pepper spray before. I bought a small cannister at Galyans for about $15. I was told that the range was 10 feet for this cannister. That didn't seem like much of a range while pedaling at 15 mph in very windy conditions on an open road!

Fortunately, I did not need to use the spray. Two dogs did chase me for a while, but gave up after I accelerated past them. Another dog came after me, but stopped right at the border of his property.

I was wondering if anyone reading this has ever actually used mace or pepper spray. If so, what was your experience? Is it a good idea to have spray during an AT thru-hike? I think I am more concerned about the dogs than the bears. Besides, pepper spray might aggravate a bear more than deter it.

:-?

It seems like the bear spray cannisters are heavy, large and expensive. Although, the range of bear cannisters approaches 30 feet. The cannister runs dry in just under six seconds!

Bear Spray (http://www.homesafetyonline.com/Products/80346.asp)

The Will
11-25-2004, 21:14
I have heard (regarding pepper spray and bears) that nobody has ever died from a bear attack “with pepper spray in hand.” The individual I heard this from did not site a source for his information, so we’ll consider this to be anecdotal, but in fairness to him, he is the director of the Outward Pursuits Program at the university I graduated from in Canada.

Take it for what its worth.

Tractor
11-25-2004, 22:26
mace. I was a passenger in a car, once, when someone asked what the little can in the glove box was was and gave it a spray. It was a little spray but all of us were about blind in a couple of seconds and driver (also about blind) was able to make it to the nearby hospital where we begged for treatment (lots & lots of water).

pepper spray. I've never tried the stuff but did grow the habanero peppers one year. Never again. All they're good for is bear spray as far as i'm concerned (could there be a conspiracy???).

I can only imagine what I, or anyone, would do with a can of either at 2:30 in the morning, with some large drooling creature attempting to crawl into the tent. I'd give myself about a 50-50 chance of actually getting to the can AND aiming it in the right direction in time to thwart such advances. On the other hand, if I sprayed myself in the face, i would surely scare away just about any creature with my loud noises and extreme & very swift physical gyrations. Either way the tent would be toast.

Ridge
11-25-2004, 22:52
Is it a good idea to have spray during an AT thru-hike?
There was a couple times I wish I had something to spray dog owners with, pepper spray, birdshot, or something to get there attention with.

weary
11-26-2004, 19:27
There was a couple times I wish I had something to spray dog owners with, pepper spray, birdshot, or something to get there attention with.
I was harassed by dogs a couple of times while road walking to a Post Office or store. I just waved my walking stick at them, and they backed away and eventually gave up. That was another advantage of my homemade wooden stick. It looks more violent than a Leki, though at just nine ounces it isn't really.

I don't think either mace or pepper spray is worth carrying.

Weary

hacksaw
11-27-2004, 23:58
Me too, Weary, It tastes lousey on grits and just pisses off bears.

Use the poles on the owners, not the dogs. Dogs do what dogs do.

Hacksaw

BlackCloud
12-06-2004, 16:35
Me too, Weary, It tastes lousey on grits and just pisses off bears.

Use the poles on the owners, not the dogs. Dogs do what dogs do.

HacksawYou are correct, & that is why MANY postal carriers carry some anti-pet device.

I am an avid cyclist & have had many encounters w/ domesticated dogs. While I don't carry anything, my cycling partner carries a squeezable bottle of amonnia, which works wonders. Be advised that the mear possession of mace and/or pepper spray is a misdemeanor in some states.

And unless you're talking about one of those stupid, tiny dogs, don't think you can out-cycle them if they really want a piece of you, b/c you can't.:cool:

Pencil Pusher
12-06-2004, 19:21
On a bicycle, unclip one of your feet so you can kick the hell out of the dog or weave from side to side as you ride so the effer can't nip. I've been in tear gas and that's bad but tolerable to some extent, whereas I've been pepper sprayed and that was truly bad. If bears' senses are more sensitive than ours, they'll be in a world of hurt with a good blast of OC pepper spray. The pepper spray is a gift that keeps on giving, long after you think you've rinsed it from your eyes and face:datz The downside to the bear spray is they need to be within 15 feet or so for them to get hit.

SalParadise
12-06-2004, 19:30
never used spray but don't think you'd really need it. Bears aren't a problem on the AT, they'll either run from you or they'll want your food--not you. Use your hiking poles on the dogs.

illininagel
12-07-2004, 01:53
And unless you're talking about one of those stupid, tiny dogs, don't think you can out-cycle them if they really want a piece of you, b/c you can't.

That's why I brought the pepper spray. :)

I also did not have confidence in my ability to swerve and kick at a large, charging dog while speeding along on my bike.

The ammonia idea sounds pretty good. Some ammonia spray would certainly be a lot cheaper than the pepper spray at Galyans!