PDA

View Full Version : Loading the pack

Prettywoman0172
09-02-2010, 16:51
Help? I have an LL Bean White Mountain Women's medium. I have NO idea what to put where. I do know about distributing weight, etc ... but all of the little pockets, straps, etc are really throwing me. (Please dont laugh :)

What should I put where? What is the best way to organize things? I have three stuff sacks (I can get more if needed). A 4L, 33L, 25L (I think those last two might be a bit too big-was thinking clothes and food). How should I organize things? Suggestions? I have my tent in a waterproof stuff sack (from my Kayak) and lashed to the bottom with the poles separately on the outside. The sleeping bag, North Face Cat's Meow (Women's) is in the compression sack it came with, not sure if it is waterproof or not -it is in the compartment at the bottom of the pack. There are water bottle pockets on either side, I have a sigg stainless in each. But thats as far as I have gotten.

Help? Please?

grayfox
09-02-2010, 17:18
There are a lot of very helpful videos on youtube and at backpacker magazine online. You could spend lots of time looking at how other people do it or you can make a plan that fits into your own hiking style--I think a bit of both would be good.

You want to pack things so its easy to get at what you need during the day, gear is protected from rain and other damage, and the pack is balanced. Any of these videos will get you started.

gumball
09-02-2010, 17:32
gray fox is right, check out the websites for photos. There's probably something here on wb in the articles section that addresses it.

For me: Sleeping back on the bottom, in a garbage bag. Tarps down there too, as are evening clothes, evening needs--toothbrush, etc. Middle is extra clothes, extra food, kitchen gear. More toward the top is first aid, day's snacks, rain gear and crocks. Side pockets carry little stuff--rain cover, matches, lighter...wallet, maybe. Water and maps on the side.

Toolumpy
09-02-2010, 17:51
I usually put my food(easy to get to snack type) in the day pack on my Gregory. Then when I hang my food at night I put all food items in a large heavy duty trash bag and hang with a rope. I also put my sleeping bag in another heavy duty trash bag in the lower backpack compartent and when I hang my pack at night, either in the shelter or on bear cables I cover with the sleeping bag trash bag, with a SMALL hole through it for the rope. Have yet to get mice in my pack but I have heard them slide off the bag and hit the floor. I also use 3-5 individual waterproof bags, clothes, trash, main meals and another one for all the rest of my small stuff. once you can remember what is in what bag it is easy to pull out only the one you need. It does not take long to figure out what you will use the most and where to keep it for quick access.
My backpack is loaded with light on the bottom, medium weight in middle with heavier on the top. Have fun

Raul Perez
09-02-2010, 18:18
Here's how I pack my gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsKBqCHKeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboiYsnAFaQ

skinewmexico
09-02-2010, 18:18
The Osprey web site used to have a page on how to pack a pack.

Many Walks
09-02-2010, 18:54
Help? I have an LL Bean White Mountain Women's medium. I have NO idea what to put where. I do know about distributing weight, etc ... but all of the little pockets, straps, etc are really throwing me. (Please dont laugh :)

What should I put where? What is the best way to organize things? I have three stuff sacks (I can get more if needed). A 4L, 33L, 25L (I think those last two might be a bit too big-was thinking clothes and food). How should I organize things? Suggestions? I have my tent in a waterproof stuff sack (from my Kayak) and lashed to the bottom with the poles separately on the outside. The sleeping bag, North Face Cat's Meow (Women's) is in the compression sack it came with, not sure if it is waterproof or not -it is in the compartment at the bottom of the pack. There are water bottle pockets on either side, I have a sigg stainless in each. But thats as far as I have gotten.

Help? Please?
Check the videos and threads, then practice packing in a way that makes sense for you with the thought of easy access to things you might need through the day and bury the things you won't need till you camp. I put light things in first, working my way up to the heaviest. Inside I put a very small stuff sack with extra socks, nylon shirt and a spare canister of fuel (if I'm cooking on that trip). Then I load my sleeping bag with night clothes in a compression sack, then Neoair, next is the tent with fly and footprint in a compression sack, cooking kit with the sack of food goes on top (if required in some areas of CA or areas of known bear activity a bear canister replaces the sack). If it's cold I put a down jacket or long sleeve shirt on top of the food and under the lid. I clip a small nylon pouch inside to hold money, ID, credit cards, and campfire permit (required in CA). On the inside of the lid is first aid kit, compass, pad repair kit and spare batteries. Top of lid access gets my hygiene kit w/meds, Steripen, light gloves, and hat. Outside pockets have water bottles, tent poles/stakes, teripen nalgene w/prefilter, nylon water bag and map. Bear spray is strapped on the side in areas of known bear activity. Back pocket gets 4'x4' tyvek, raingear, pack cover and knee braces. Light camp shoes clip on the back and contained from flopping under elastic cord. I clip on 40' parachute cord with a carabiner on one side and stuff the ends in the side straps along the ent poles. I clip a light 18" sq towel on the other side. Front clip gets a small digital watch and the front pockets get a sunglass case, knife, Petzl E+Lite, and small bottle of hand sanitizer. On the top back I have two baby diaper pins to hold wet socks, etc to dry during the day while hiking. It's what works for me.

One thing I noticed that you might want to look at is getting your tent inside your pack toward the top or strapped on top as the weight will help the pack hug your body. If it's strapped low on the bottom of the pack you might feel like it's dragging you back unless it's very light. Also, the waterproof kayak bag could be heavier than a sil nylon compression sack which works fine and might be a place where you can cut some weight.

One piece of advice I'd give is to get your gear arranged so it works for you, which will take some trial and error, and try to be sure to pack consistently so everything is in it's place when you head out on the trail. Nothing more frustrating than getting to the next camp or even first break only to realize you forgot your tentpoles or something. Saw a guy do that in GSMNP. You only carry what you need and you don't want to misplace anything. Hope this helps.

Prettywoman0172
09-02-2010, 19:00
Here's how I pack my gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNsKBqCHKeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lboiYsnAFaQ

Those videos are very helpful.

You're fun to look at too (I hope saying that didnt just violate some policy)

Ann

highfisher
09-02-2010, 20:33

Help? Please?

Don't worry about people laughing these guys/ gals love to answer ?s, and most were newbies too once, lol.
I use the 3pac of dry sacks from wallyworld, the large green one, food, the orange one, clothes, the blue one, meds/ personals. I use qt an gal ziplocks for misc, trash bag pack liner (Not the flex ones they tear to easy) I would put your SB in a trash bag. I would put my tent inside or on top of my pack and the poles inside the pack or in a pocket. your heavy items should be towards the center of your back and as close as possible. Packing is something that is different for everyone you just have to play until it works. Think of your pack as a hiking day, Top is the am. Bottom is the pm.I know the Siggs are flashy and classy, but 2 lg aqua fina bottles are lighter and hold more. just my .02

Raul Perez
09-02-2010, 21:01
Glad it was helpful. everyone packs differently but it gives you an idea on some of the basics.

Thanks for the compliment ;)

Ironbelly
09-02-2010, 21:01
REI has a good article on how to pack different kinds of packs i.e. internal and external under the expert advice tab.

leaftye
09-02-2010, 21:49
I pack for convenience. The kind of convenience that gets me out of camp as quickly as possible in the morning and minimizes time spent on breaks. So...

If I will be sleeping near my food, the bulk of my food will go in the bottom of my pack, followed by my shelter stuff, and then followed by the rest of my gear, and then my water on top. Food for the day goes in the rear mesh pocket.

If I will be hanging my food away from camp, the shelter stuff goes in the bottom, followed by the food, then gear, and finally the water. Sometimes... Sometimes I'll just go grab my food and bring it back to camp so I can pack my bag like I described above.

My pad goes on the top or strapped vertically to the rear. Eventually I'll get a compact inflatable pad and pack that with my shelter stuff.

IronGutsTommy
09-02-2010, 22:08
hanging food with heavy mono filament lines take care of the mice, they cannot climb the lines. i still bring a cord or rope as a backup, but mice can climb ropes and cords

wannahike
09-02-2010, 22:50
The first week I hiked, which was only the second time I had been bping, every morning I packed up differently, I would walk and think about where things should be or where they would fit better.
So if you can get it all in the back and pick it up and walk you will figure it out.

Bear Cables
09-02-2010, 23:52
For what it's worth..
I have a golite quest. In the top of the hood I pack my cooking items, first aid, personal bag, steri pen and bear line. In the back outside pocket I pack my book or journal,rain gear , sil tarp and pack cover. In the inside I pack in this order from bottom to top, zip lock with clothes, sleeping bag thermarest and pillow in a pack liner, tarptent, food bag. Gatorade bottles in each side pocket along with a ziplock with map and guide pages. In the hip belt pockets i pack my headlamp, small knife, reading glasses and snack for the day.

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 14:08
The Sigg bottles are indeed heavier, but in a thread I started about getting warm, someone mentioned boiling water in a stainless steel bottle and putting it in a sock and then putting it in your sleeping back. I thought this was genious :)

sbhikes
09-03-2010, 14:38
I pack so that things that are needed through the day are easily accessible. Things that are only needed at night are not. I pack everything in the same place every time so I never have to empty everything out to search. And just because a pack has a bunch of pockets doesn't mean you have to use them.