PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating canned meats??

Different Socks
09-02-2010, 19:56
I know it's probably been covered aleady. I am in the process of stocking up on meals for my hike in 2 years(it's a really lllooooonnnnggg hike). At the present time I have over 90 cans of meat. Can I dehydrate them?

medicjimr
09-02-2010, 20:54
as long as you get any grease like material off and cut in thin small peaces actually if it's like canned chicken pull it apart like pulled pork I have done the chicken in pouch and turned out great

Farr Away
09-03-2010, 11:05
Short answer - yes, as long as the meat doesn't have too much fat.

Longer answer - you should probably wait until closer to the start of your hike; vacuum sealing after you dehydrate would be a good idea, and keeping it frozen until it gets shipped to you isn't a bad idea either. The vacuum sealing and freezing are just to extend the shelf life, though. Neither is required.

-FA

Dicentra
09-03-2010, 12:07
I know it's probably been covered aleady. I am in the process of stocking up on meals for my hike in 2 years(it's a really lllooooonnnnggg hike). At the present time I have over 90 cans of meat. Can I dehydrate them?

Yes. You can.

I use canned chicken and/or turkey. After drying, I cut it 50/50 with TVP. This adds a little potassium and makes your dried product go further. TVP is way cheaper than the canned meat.

Here is my how-to directions for canned chicken (http://www.onepanwonders.com/chicken.htm).

skinewmexico
09-03-2010, 12:44
I haven' found TVP or dehydrated meat to be very good. But I have several big jugs of TVP from Honeyville that sure are convenient.

sarbar
09-03-2010, 19:50
The flavored TVP ranges in edibility. The hamburger flavor that Harmony House Foods sells is quite good...the chicken one is weird ;)

russb
09-04-2010, 07:43
I find it interesting that so many "health food" advocates make a big deal about the anti-nutrition of highly processed foods, yet also use TVP. This stuff is probably the most highly processed "food" one can get. Some nasty stuff, that TVP. A product of extensive (expensive) and successful marketing.

Different Socks
09-04-2010, 11:23
Yes. You can.

I use canned chicken and/or turkey. After drying, I cut it 50/50 with TVP. This adds a little potassium and makes your dried product go further. TVP is way cheaper than the canned meat.

Here is my how-to directions for canned chicken (http://www.onepanwonders.com/chicken.htm).

Thanks for the tip on TVP!! Know where I can get some? Is this the same Dicentra on BPer forums?

sarbar
09-04-2010, 13:41
Is this the same Dicentra on BPer forums?

Since Di isn't online on weekends, I'll answer! Yes, same Di :)

Different Socks
09-04-2010, 16:39
Since Di isn't online on weekends, I'll answer! Yes, same Di :)

And same Sarbar I guess? What about canned clams, shrimp and crab meat? Can they be dried as well?
My drier looks just like Dicentra's, just she's getting old and is banged up. Hope she hangs on for a few more years.
Used to carry canned on all my hikes(AT, PCT, CDT, LT, etc), but I'm older now and want a lighter pack. And I can confidently say, I am not an Ultra-lite carrying pack person, nor do I wish to be. I'd rather carry what i need on the trail and a bit more.

BTW Sarbar, I forgot my password for BPer, so haven't been on in months.

Different Socks
09-04-2010, 16:44
Dicentra, I have "Trailsides Trail Food", "Dry It, You'll Like It", "The Well Fed BPer", and "High Trail Cookery".

Would there be any new info in your book? Would i buy it just for the recipes b/c they are catered for a Bper?

sarbar
09-05-2010, 12:35
I'll answer again..lol! She is up feeding hiker trash on the PCT this weekend :D

Di's book uses everything you can buy in a grocery store - no dehydrator needed. So definitely worth getting! Her recipes are worth seeing :)

And yes, same Sarbar! I hadn't been on here in awhile - I have a now 5 month old new baby that has been keeping me busy :)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Pregnancy/Walker%20Photos/pics-5719.jpg

On books - check out the library we have:
http://blog.trailcooking.com/trail-library/ I am adding constantly - I love my collection!

You can dry nearly all canned meats with good results. Crab, tuna, chicken, ham, turkey, baby shrimp. Clams can be tough though.

Dicentra
09-07-2010, 15:43
Dicentra, I have "Trailsides Trail Food", "Dry It, You'll Like It", "The Well Fed BPer", and "High Trail Cookery".

Would there be any new info in your book? Would i buy it just for the recipes b/c they are catered for a Bper?

LOL. Sarbar was my media consultant over the weekend it seems. Thanks Sar!!

Yes, everything in the book is no dehydrator required, grocery store finds. It was written with the "common hiker" in mind (vs a long distance hiker) but ended up being a great resource for thrus because of how they do their resupplies - in grocery stores! :cool:

I am currently working on a second book that will incorporate more than just grocery store items (not gonna say much more about that yet).

Also, on the website there is a dehydrator page that has how-tos listed by ingredient.

Dicentra
09-07-2010, 15:44
Thanks for the tip on TVP!! Know where I can get some? Is this the same Dicentra on BPer forums?

That's me!! You can be 99% sure if you see "Dicentra" and they are talking about food or hiking, it's me! :) Ditto with Sarbar.

Farr Away
09-07-2010, 16:26
Thanks for the tip on TVP!! Know where I can get some? ...

I've found it at natural food stores, coops, and health food stores. I've never bought it online, but I know a lot of sites carry it.

-FA

Farr Away
09-07-2010, 16:29

And yes, same Sarbar! I hadn't been on here in awhile - I have a now 5 month old new baby that has been keeping me busy :)

I was wondering where you'd gone! Congratulations on the little one!!

-FA

Dicentra
09-07-2010, 16:47
And same Sarbar I guess? What about canned clams, shrimp and crab meat? Can they be dried as well?
My drier looks just like Dicentra's, just she's getting old and is banged up. Hope she hangs on for a few more years.
Used to carry canned on all my hikes(AT, PCT, CDT, LT, etc), but I'm older now and want a lighter pack. And I can confidently say, I am not an Ultra-lite carrying pack person, nor do I wish to be. I'd rather carry what i need on the trail and a bit more.

BTW Sarbar, I forgot my password for BPer, so haven't been on in months.

I hope you don't mean that it is me that is getting old and banged up. :eek:

sarbar
09-07-2010, 16:48
Lol..yeah we'd like Di to hang on for a few more years as well :D :D Oh where is the out of context thread when one needs one?