PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Almondine - FBC style

Dicentra
09-03-2010, 12:05
Chicken Almondine
Serves 1

Sent to the Queets with OlyHiker and GoBlue Hiker

3 tablespoons dried chicken (or pouch/can)
1/3 cup instant rice
2 tablespoons dried mushrooms
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 tablespoon freeze dried green beans
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried celery
½ teaspoon dried chives
2-3 tablespoons chopped or slivered almonds

At home: combine everything but the almonds in a zip locking plastic bag. Place the almonds in a second bag.

In camp: add just enough hot water to cover. Stir well and place in a cozy. When the rice and vegetables are rehydrated, stir again and serve topped with the almonds

skinewmexico
09-03-2010, 12:45
I have got to try that this weekend. Thanks!

Graywolf
09-03-2010, 13:22
Sounds great!! Thanks..

Jonnycat
09-03-2010, 13:27
Darnit, now I'm hungry. I hope you brought enough to share with the class!

pgustaf249
09-10-2010, 23:39
I'm new to the backpacking, trail cooking scene.

So where do you get dried chicken? Is it a regular grocery store item? And it will keep in there with all the dried ingredients until you cook it up? Is there a limit as to how long you can carry it around?

LaurieAnn
09-11-2010, 14:22
pgustaf... Dicentra isn't specific as to whether the chicken is freeze-dried or home-dried which will make a difference in rehydration times. Perhaps she'll pop in and clarify which the recipe calls for.

You can buy freeze-dried and dehydrated chicken from speciality shops such as outdoors stores and places like PackIt Gourmet. I'd be apt to use freeze-dried in this recipe but that's just me.

You can also dry your own canned chicken. Merely drain it and spread it out on lined dehydrator trays (or a cookie sheet in the oven - set to the lowest temp possible and leave the door slightly ajar). Dry at 155°F for 6 to 10 hours (depends on the method and things such as amount, air humidity and such). Stir the chicken from time to time to promote even drying.

Hope that helps.

pgustaf249
09-11-2010, 15:37
pgustaf... Dicentra isn't specific as to whether the chicken is freeze-dried or home-dried which will make a difference in rehydration times. Perhaps she'll pop in and clarify which the recipe calls for.

You can buy freeze-dried and dehydrated chicken from speciality shops such as outdoors stores and places like PackIt Gourmet. I'd be apt to use freeze-dried in this recipe but that's just me.

You can also dry your own canned chicken. Merely drain it and spread it out on lined dehydrator trays (or a cookie sheet in the oven - set to the lowest temp possible and leave the door slightly ajar). Dry at 155°F for 6 to 10 hours (depends on the method and things such as amount, air humidity and such). Stir the chicken from time to time to promote even drying.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can get this trail cooking down yet.

sarbar
09-11-2010, 21:19
On canned chicken both Di and I have dehydrating sections on our websites - and both cover the canned chicken question nicely.

Tip: When drying it shred the meat first. It will dry faster but as well rehydrate quicker. No thick chunks!

While freeze-dried meats can be good for quick rehydration in many instances they don't taste as good.

Personally I carry chicken pouches or pop-top cans - I like the texture better.

OTOH, FD hamburger is quite nice though.

Dicentra
09-13-2010, 17:30
On canned chicken both Di and I have dehydrating sections on our websites - and both cover the canned chicken question nicely.

Tip: When drying it shred the meat first. It will dry faster but as well rehydrate quicker. No thick chunks!

While freeze-dried meats can be good for quick rehydration in many instances they don't taste as good.

Personally I carry chicken pouches or pop-top cans - I like the texture better.

OTOH, FD hamburger is quite nice though.

Yup. What she said. :cool:

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 18:18
Thanks for the recipe and chicken drying tips.

While freeze-dried meats can be good for quick rehydration in many instances they don't taste as good. Personally I carry chicken pouches or pop-top cans - I like the texture better. Sarbar

Ditto both comments.

The texture of freeze dried chicken can be off. However, I'm going to try Laurie's
dehydrated chicken drying tips.

One more comment. The addition of dried mushrooms(many different kinds with different flavors and textures) is a welcome addition in my trailfoods because you can get them at 110 cals/oz. which translates to less wt and/or more cals. Although usually on the pricey side, a small amount can go a long way to adding texture and flavor too. The almonds also have a good cals/oz ratio and are nutritious too! Both beat junk food that can be high in cals but often are accompanied with, well, other junk!

Between, Dicentra's, Laurie Ann's, Sarbar's, Backpacker magazine's monthly trailfood recipes, and what I've found in Backpackin LiPSmackin Trail Recipes, and what I've come up with/tweaked myself, I find it easy to have great variety, flavor, convenience, low to moderate cost, and high cals./oz trail foods. No need for Pop Tarts, Fritos, Snickers, and the same old oatmeal all the time while on the trail!

Different Socks
09-13-2010, 18:56
Chicken Almondine
Serves 1

Sent to the Queets with OlyHiker and GoBlue Hiker

3 tablespoons dried chicken (or pouch/can)
1/3 cup instant rice
2 tablespoons dried mushrooms
2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 tablespoon freeze dried green beans
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried celery
½ teaspoon dried chives
2-3 tablespoons chopped or slivered almonds

At home: combine everything but the almonds in a zip locking plastic bag. Place the almonds in a second bag.

In camp: add just enough hot water to cover. Stir well and place in a cozy. When the rice and vegetables are rehydrated, stir again and serve topped with the almonds

Pardon for asking, but what is FBC Style?

sarbar
09-13-2010, 19:01
Pardon for asking, but what is FBC Style?
Freezer Bag Cooking :cool:

Dicentra
09-14-2010, 12:45
Freezer Bag Cooking :cool:

Oh yeah. Whoops. I forget that not everyone knows that. :p

sarbar
09-14-2010, 23:04
Oh yeah. Whoops. I forget that not everyone knows that. :p

They should :D:cool:

Dicentra
09-15-2010, 12:44
They should :D:cool: