PDA

View Full Version : Logistical question

10-K
09-03-2010, 12:39
Other than hiking the AT through GSMNP I know very little about the park so I'm wondering if someone could give me any advice or suggestions on this....

I'm taking a topo map/compass class at the Sugarland Visitor's Center on September 18th. The class runs from 9:00-4:00....

If I understand the location of the visitor's center correctly it's about 4 miles or so from Gatlinburg.

While I'm there I was thinking about hiking the MST to where it exits the park.

My question is - if I got dropped off at the visitor's center on Saturday morning is it feasible to walk into Gatlinburg after the class ends at 4:00 PM, get a room at a hotel and then get a shuttle to Clingman's Dome on Sunday morning to start my hike?

Or is it practical/easier to consider getting a ride to Clingman's Dome Saturday after the class and hiking the 3-4 hours until dark and by getting a late start Saturday avoiding going into Gatlinburg. (How far is Clingman's Dome from Sugarland Visitor's center?)

If I did go into Gatlinburg is there anyone who shuttles early Sunday morning?

If I started hiking Saturday after the class is it difficult t get from Sugarland Visitor's center to Clingman's Dome and from there is there a campsite within 5-8 miles?

Highstepper
09-03-2010, 15:42
My question is - if I got dropped off at the visitor's center on Saturday morning is it feasible to walk into Gatlinburg after the class ends at 4:00 PM, get a room at a hotel and then get a shuttle to Clingman's Dome on Sunday morning to start my hike?

Yes...I think it's more like a mile from Sugarlands to Gatlinburg. Contact the Happy Hiker outfitter for shuttle. http://www.happyhiker.com/index.html

Dogwood
09-03-2010, 16:20
Check out Cherokee Transit which runs shuttles between Sugarlands Visitors Center and Gatlinburg 7 days per wk. The cost is reasonable. They will also drop you off at Newfound Gap.

If I remember correctly, taking the AT, it's about 8 miles from Newfound Gap to Clingmans Dome SOBO and about 3 miles between Newfound Gap and Icewater Shelter going NOBO. The closest shelters on the AT I can remember to Clingmans Dome were Double Spring and Mt Collins, but you should double check me on this and their mileages from CD to those shelters.

You can also cut the distance to Clingmans Dome by hitching up the road to it and then staying at the

Graywolf
09-03-2010, 21:35
Check out Cherokee Transit which runs shuttles between Sugarlands Visitors Center and Gatlinburg 7 days per wk. The cost is reasonable. They will also drop you off at Newfound Gap.

If I remember correctly, taking the AT, it's about 8 miles from Newfound Gap to Clingmans Dome SOBO and about 3 miles between Newfound Gap and Icewater Shelter going NOBO. The closest shelters on the AT I can remember to Clingmans Dome were Double Spring and Mt Collins, but you should double check me on this and their mileages from CD to those shelters.

You can also cut the distance to Clingmans Dome by hitching up the road to it and then staying at the

At the what??

gollwoods
09-04-2010, 11:31

here s the cherokee transit link

http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_tenn.htm

10-K
09-04-2010, 12:23
What I really need to figure out is how to get from Gatlinburg to Clingman's Dome on Sunday.

Elder
09-04-2010, 13:10
:( The Happy Hiker is closed.
Your other choicess in Gatlinburg are The NOC's (Nantahala Outfitters) Great Outpost, 1st building on the right as you exit the park southbound on 441. Doug, the manager, is a thru hiker.865-277-8209.
There is also Smoky Mountain Outfitters in a new spot...under the Tram is the direction I have. 206 Longbranch Road. 865-430-2267.
The hiker motel is the Grand Prix, up Ski Mtn road (across from NOC and past Happy Hiker) on the left 1/4 mile..and he shuttles too.
Sorry, no number.
Have fun.
Remember the Smoky Mountain Brew Pub! :D

10-K
09-04-2010, 14:11
I guess that explains why I haven't heard back from The Happy Hiker.

I sent an email to the Gran Prix hotel and Smokey Mt. Outfitters - thanks for the tips.

Dogwood
09-04-2010, 18:03
10-K, on Sunday Cherokee Transit runs a shuttle starting from Pigeon Forge at 10 a.m. that goes through Gatlinburg, where, if you call them, they will stop to pick you up, goes onto Sugarlands Visitor Center, where they make a scheduled stop. They then continue over Newfound Gap onto to Cherokee, NC. If you ask the driver. he will drop you off at Newfound Gap. Hike or hitch from the Gap to Clingmans Dome.

You can take the shuttle from Sugarlands Visitor Center into G-Burg too. Visit the website for schedules. They operate 7 days a wk until Sept 30. It's about $7 for a partial trip along the Pigeon Forge TN to Cherokee NC or $12 for the whole way.

HooKooDooKu
09-07-2010, 17:58
If you try to start your hike the same day as your class, it's about a 4 mile hike from Clingman's Dome parking lot up to the dome (1/2 mile) and then to Mt Collins Shelter (3.5+ miles).

There is a trail (1.8 miles according to Google Earth) from the visitor center to Gatlinburg. The trail is easy to find on the Gatlinburg side, but I lost my way riding a bicycle along the trail as it goes through the park maintenance area, so I'm not sure where it starts at the visitor center. Again, on Google Earth, it looks like it starts on the left side of the building (I seem to recall there is a set of stone stairs located there).

For shuttle services, I've used www.awalkinthewoods.com (http://www.awalkinthewoods.com), Happy Hiker (didn't know they closed... is that permenent?), and http://www.aaahikerservice.com/SHUTTLE.html.

Since you are so close to Gatlinburg, you could ask what ever hotel you are staying at if they have any sort of pick-up service. While I don't know of a specific hotel that offers such a service, I would think that there would be some as a way to litterally bring in business.

10-K
09-07-2010, 19:15
It's looking like I'm going to be walking from Sugarland to the Gran Prix hotel. I don't know how far that is but it couldn't be more than a few miles and I"ll have all evening to kill.

The folks at the Gran Prix said they'd shuttle me to Clingman's Dome for $25.

I did email AAA Hiker Services as a backup. I've never heard of them - they look like a good outfit.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Dogwood
09-07-2010, 21:19
You might want to check out that Gatlinburg/TN Things To Do In TN and Coupon Book. I scored a half price hotel coupon in that mag/book that I found in the Golden Corral(at least I think that was the name of the restaurant, just look at where all the fat people are headed to gorge) foyer/lobby. Saved me $35 and got an upgrade to a double room on the 4th floor. The hotel(forget the name of it) is right next door to the Golden Corral Buffet/Restaurant.

HooKooDooKu
09-08-2010, 14:37
Gatlinburg has a trolley system you can use. The tan line can get you from the visitor center to some where in Gatlinburg (I haven't found where the tan line stops in Gatlinburg yet). The tan line runs within 500ft+/- of your hotel (235 Ski Mountain Road), but even if you can't get off there, you can transfer to the Red line where it does have a stop within 500ft of your hotel.

http://www.ci.gatlinburg.tn.us/transit/trolley.htm
http://gatlinburg.otvia.com/

Ox97GaMe
09-08-2010, 23:51
It is just under 2 miles if you walk the trail over to Gatlinburg. From the Visitor center, take the sidewalk out behind to the park headquarters building and then walk the service road past the dispatch office and the maintenance shop. The trail follows the river all teh way into town. To get to the Grand Prix, at first traffic light in town, turn left and go 2 blocks. The hotel is on the left side of the street.

When you say 'take the MTS to where it exits the park', do you mean down to where it meets up with the Blue Ridge Parkway, or do you mean all the way out to Saco Gap? You can stop at the Oconoluftee Visitor center. It would be fairly easy to find a ride from there back over to the Gatlinburg side if that is where your ride will be waiting.

10-K
09-09-2010, 04:30
When you say 'take the MTS to where it exits the park', do you mean down to where it meets up with the Blue Ridge Parkway, or do you mean all the way out to Saco Gap? You can stop at the Oconoluftee Visitor center. It would be fairly easy to find a ride from there back over to the Gatlinburg side if that is where your ride will be waiting.

This hike is the beginning of my MST section hike so I'm going to follow the MST from Clingman's Dome to either Oconoluftee Visitor Center, Saco Gap or Balsam Gap.

How far I go depends on a few things.... At a minimum, I plan to hike to Oconoluftee where the BRP starts - that's a "rain or shine" hike.

Then it just depends on the weather and how I feel. From the visitor's center at Oconoluftee to Balsam Gap the MST is a roadwalk up the BRP. If the weather's nice I'll hike to Saco Gap and maybe Balsam.

Can you tell me anything about campsite 57?

Thanks for the info on how to get from the SLVC to Gatlinburg.

gollwoods
09-15-2010, 19:11
This hike is the beginning of my MST section hike so I'm going to follow the MST from Clingman's Dome to either Oconoluftee Visitor Center, Saco Gap or Balsam Gap.

How far I go depends on a few things.... At a minimum, I plan to hike to Oconoluftee where the BRP starts - that's a "rain or shine" hike.

Then it just depends on the weather and how I feel. From the visitor's center at Oconoluftee to Balsam Gap the MST is a roadwalk up the BRP. If the weather's nice I'll hike to Saco Gap and maybe Balsam.

Can you tell me anything about campsite 57?

Thanks for the info on how to get from the SLVC to Gatlinburg.

57 is alarge horse camp, 56 has a little better setting. at 57 there is a historical marker about horace kepharts last permanant camp there at what was known as bryson place.

10-K
09-15-2010, 19:42
So theoretically I could stay in 56 even though I have a reservation for 57? (56 does not require a reservation).

HooKooDooKu
09-16-2010, 09:25
So theoretically I could stay in 56 even though I have a reservation for 57? (56 does not require a reservation).

For starters, if you know you are not going to use your reservation for 57, you should contact the back country reservation office and cancel your reservation so that it can possibly be used by someone else.

But when you arrive at the park and fill out your hiking permit, you need to list the camp sites that you will use, and stick to it barring unusual cercumstances.

What you're not allowed to do is fill out a permit with one set of camp sites, then on a whim during your trip just decide to change which sites you are going to stay at.

But if you haven't filled out the permit, you can still make all the changes you want.

10-K
09-16-2010, 09:30
For starters, if you know you are not going to use your reservation for 57, you should contact the back country reservation office and cancel your reservation so that it can possibly be used by someone else.

But when you arrive at the park and fill out your hiking permit, you need to list the camp sites that you will use, and stick to it barring unusual cercumstances.

What you're not allowed to do is fill out a permit with one set of camp sites, then on a whim during your trip just decide to change which sites you are going to stay at.

But if you haven't filled out the permit, you can still make all the changes you want.

For sure... we'll probably stick with our reservation.