PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Hallulite and Pinnacle?

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 13:25
In regards to the GSI cookware .sets. I purchased the pinnacle soloist and just exchanged it for the hallulite microdualist....

Is there a difference in the materials used? Better?more preferred?

Help?

Thanks.
Ann

Deadeye
09-03-2010, 13:35
Don't get too hung up on gear. Any pot or kit that holds what you need and suits your cooking style will work fine. Lighter and cheaper (ala K-mart grease pot) are fine for most folks. Some worry about aluminum, others spring the extra bucks for titanium, but it's really not that big a deal.

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 13:39
Thank you for your response. I tried to get an idea by looking them up online and it appears tat the pinnacle has a coating on it that makes it nonstick. Is this a desireable feature? Do I care about that?

Thanks again.

Ann

Deadeye
09-03-2010, 13:44
I checked it out, too. The Halulit is a proprietary alloy, the other is teflon coated aluminum. Whether you care about Teflon depends on how you cook: if you're a boil it and eat it person, it doesn't matter. If you cook a little fancier, non-stick coatings are easier to clean up. Then again, some folks are paranoid about Teflon! Like toothpaste, lots of choices, not that big a difference. Choose the combination of features that matters most to you... if that changes over time, you can sell or trade your old stuff for new.

Graywolf
09-03-2010, 13:46
Thank you for your response. I tried to get an idea by looking them up online and it appears tat the pinnacle has a coating on it that makes it nonstick. Is this a desireable feature? Do I care about that?

Thanks again.

Ann

Dont know about the Pinnacle, but I do know that some makers put a teflon coating in their pots making it non-stick. It maynot matter to the hiker but over time this coating is toxic. I usually scrub my pots and take off the coating. However, my pot that came with the Trangia works great so I am keeping the coating..

Just a thought..

grayfox
09-03-2010, 14:08
Ann, start keeping a notebook on your gear. Keep track of how much it weighs and your experience with it. Also, you might want to save the box and keep track of the cost so if you want to trade or sell in the future it will be easier.

I have both of these materials and find both acceptable in durability and ease of cleanup. Teflon and other coatings should be used with non metal utensils and not scrubed with sand or other abrasives--when you start having to scrub, it is time to get a new pot IMO.

My first priority in cookware is that it is stable on my stove.

Second is easy cleaning and third would be packability.

I find that it is usually the small things that end up bothering me--like a loose lid or hard to clean interior especially around rivits that hold the handle on.

If your pot didn't come with a lid get one. It saves fuel and cooks quicker. Lids also make a good plate or prep surface.

As others have said, don't sweat the small stuff, just do it. But make notes in your journal to help when you are looking to replace something.

grayfox

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 14:11
Awesome advice everyone. Thank you.

I should know about trial and error. I am constantly changing things or upgrading. The only thing I have never made a switch with are my running shoes. Brooks Trance all the way.

SMSP
09-03-2010, 23:54
I have the GSI Soloist and it's a great system. Packs well and compact. I use a Pocket Rocket with it.

SMSP

Marta
09-04-2010, 07:03
I'm in the "just boil water" school, so non stick doesn't matter to me. Take a few weekend trip and experiment with what you want to eat and cook. That will lead you towards one sort of stove/pot or another, or possibly none at all.

PS--If you like to tinker with things, the notebook idea is a good one.