PDA

View Full Version : Loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire?

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 14:21
I want to take my gear out for three or four days early next week. Is there a loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that I could do?

Remember, I am really green and inexperienced as a backpacker. But I am fit.

highfisher
09-03-2010, 15:11
this may get you started; http://tripfinder.hike-nh.com/loop.php

Tinker
09-03-2010, 16:08
How about Vermont?

In order to keep you off of the potentially dangerous ridges of the White Mountains I would suggest the Glastenbury/West Ridge loop hike in the Fifty Hikes in Vermont book by the Green Mountain club.
I don't know how much of a newbie you are, but, unless you have experienced company I wouldn't recommend a solo hike in the White Mountains (otherwise, a Presidential Range Traverse would be the ideal hike for a fit, experienced hiker).
I'm assuming you want to try a solo hike??

Mags
09-03-2010, 17:04
The Mt. Greylock area has some mellow terrain that is nice for a beginner backpacker...

THe Moneybrook-Hopper trail loop takes in waterfalls, a small chunk of the AT, the highest point in Mass and (going down the Hopper) some rare New England old-growth forest (too steep to log or farm IIRC). Nearby this area (The Thunderbolt Trail) used to be used a ski area, too.

At 12 miles and 2400' gain it is about right for a mellow beginner overnight backpack.

I did it way back in 1997 and remember it being nice...

Details here in Hike #3 (Greylock in the Round)
http://www.troop-63.com/Forms/Maps/Mt%20Greylock%20Suggested%20Hikes.pdf

Just noticed you said 3 or 4 day hike....this is more of an overnighter. You can probably extend it, though. :)

Tinker
09-03-2010, 17:19
The Mt. Greylock area has some mellow terrain that is nice for a beginner backpacker...

THe Moneybrook-Hopper trail loop takes in waterfalls, a small chunk of the AT, the highest point in Mass and (going down the Hopper) some rare New England old-growth forest (too steep to log or farm IIRC). Nearby this area (The Thunderbolt Trail) used to be used a ski area, too.

At 12 miles and 2400' gain it is about right for a mellow beginner overnight backpack.

I did it way back in 1997 and remember it being nice...

Details here in Hike #3 (Greylock in the Round)
http://www.troop-63.com/Forms/Maps/Mt%20Greylock%20Suggested%20Hikes.pdf

Just noticed you said 3 or 4 day hike....this is more of an overnighter. You can probably extend it, though. :)

Some of my more memorable hikes are those "short" ones that got extended :).
Being overly optimistic in terms of how many miles you think you can hike is a sure way to ruin a trip.
Plan for two days, take three. Plan for three, take four, etc. :)

LIhikers
09-03-2010, 19:51
Like others before me, let me suggest you stay away from NH's White Mountains for your first trip. I found Vermont to be beautiful and Mass. to be very nice. The AT in Conneticut is very varied and might be a good start. You could always do an out and back hike if you can't find a loop. If you want to go south to NY, Harriman State Park is a good place for new backpackers. Get the trails map of the park and you'll have more than enough trails, and varied terrain, to choose from and some shelters to sleep in or near.

DavidNH
09-03-2010, 20:47
i agree that your first hike should not be in white mtns.

Hows about this: Start at AT/LT crossing of Route 9 in vermont (that is a bit east of Bennington). Hike north about 10 miles to Goddard Shelter. Spend night here. then hike along (I think it's called) west Ridge back to Rt 9. you then hike about a mile east on rt 9 back to your car.

You will get chance to possibly meet LT or AT thru hikers,
experience some isolation
most of trail is not too steep
you do though have long stretches without water supply.

DavidNH

Marta
09-04-2010, 07:17
Actually, for a first solo trip, with brand new equipment, I'd recommend car camping with your backpacking gear, and dayhiking the trail around the state park, carrying your pack. Work on your gear checklist, and make sure everything works before you haul it into a situation where mistakes can rapidly become very serious.

Some state parks, around here anyway, have backpacker campgrounds, where you do have to hike in, but not very far. Back in the day, when I was accumulating equipment that I didn't know how to use, I'd go there every time I got a new stove or tent. Campsites that are between 1 and 5 miles from the parking are ideal for gear testing. To get in some serious conditioning, you can then dayhike the longer trails, carrying your pack.

LIhikers
09-05-2010, 20:57
That's some excellent advice from Marta!

DaveSail
09-05-2010, 22:36
The IMP trail comes to mind . Should be able to find on GOOGLE . DVW

Tinker
09-05-2010, 22:52
The IMP trail comes to mind . Should be able to find on GOOGLE . DVW

I hiked it last fall. Can't find anything to recommend it really. The view in front of the shelter I enjoyed during my AT section hike in the mid 1980s is pretty much grown over. I couldn't see the Berlin lights at night.

ChinMusic
09-08-2010, 15:21
Actually, for a first solo trip, with brand new equipment, I'd recommend car camping with your backpacking gear, and dayhiking the trail around the state park, carrying your pack. Work on your gear checklist, and make sure everything works before you haul it into a situation where mistakes can rapidly become very serious.

Great advice. Sounds like she bit (well more than a bit) than that and is suffering the consequences.

Oh well, blisters heal, nails grow back.............memory fades........;)

Mags
09-08-2010, 18:59
What did I say about 12 miles being good for a first overnight backpack? (5-6 MPD?) :D

Experience is a great teacher..but with high tuition.

My own first overnight backpack can be read below....

PrettyWoman did much better!!! :)

My buddy Tim and I have done a lot together, including my first backpacking trip.

An account of my first backpacking trip in 1996. I did not know what I was doing to say the least! But, everyone has to start somewhere. With me on that first trip was my buddy Tim. We both went to the same Catholic elementary school, worked in the same hospital, and (along with our other buddy Leo) probably spent enough to money on beers and wings in “Dave’s Bar and Grill” to pay for the addition they put up shortly after I moved to Colorado. I do doubt Tim’s sanity since he left a lovely, intelligent, attractive girlfriend to join me for the last stretch of my Appalachian Trail thru-hike. His sanity was further questioned four years later when he left his a lovely, intelligent, attractive WIFE to join me for the last stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail. This letter was published in the September 2001 issue of Backpacker Magazine.

A Thru-Hiker is Born.

Years ago, my friend Tim and I started our summer with a trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I had done dayhikes and camping while in the Boyscouts, but no backpacking. I was 25 pounds overweight, and my gear included a Rambo-sized knife, a flashlight with a big 6-volt battery, and enough canned goods to stock a 7-Eleven. But we planned to only hike 12 miles, so how difficult could that be?

The first day, I was out of breath as we hiked, but enjoyed the sunshine and the fantastic views-until we realized we'd forgotten the map. Tim said he remembered the way, so not to worry. Around 6 PM, we saw the same campsite we had used the previous night. We'd hiked in a 12-mile circle! We set up the tent, didn't bother to eat dinner, and collapsed in our sleeping bags.

Skip ahead two years to a sunny August day. I'm on the summit of Kathadin, Maine, a big smile on my face because I had just complete a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. On that first, mistake-prone, trip, I got lost, carried too much, and in the end enjoyed myself thoroughly. Out of th adventure came a love for backpacking.

http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/aab.jpg

A view of the Carter-Moriahs in New Hampshire on my first backpacking trip. With views like this, how could I not fall in love with backpacking?

rickb
09-08-2010, 19:40
Seems like only yesterday you were talking a possible thru hike on Trailplace.

As you will recall, I was the only one who predicted not only that you would make it, but that you would move West and make it a lifestyle.

And then there was all the advise me and Weary and others gave you which made it all possible.

I hope you don't forget when it comes time to sending out Wedding Invitations-- if and when that day ever comes.

(Hardly more than a small grain of truth in all of the above, but it really is amazing how time flies. Glad to see yours has been put to some good use!)

Mags
09-08-2010, 21:35
[QUOTE=rickb;1047739]
And then there was all the advise me and Weary and others gave you which made it all possible.

I /QUOTE]

I do believe in giving back... Which is why I offer my half-ass advice, put in some sweat equity on trail work and believe in mentoring people. :)

Time does fly... Seems like 1996 was yesterday. So much has changed...

As for wedding invites...heh. Don't let my girlfriend here that. ;)

Marta
09-09-2010, 05:27
Great advice. Sounds like she bit (well more than a bit) than that and is suffering the consequences.

Oh well, blisters heal, nails grow back.............memory fades........;)

:rolleyes:

Driver8
09-10-2010, 18:30
I want to take my gear out for three or four days early next week. Is there a loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that I could do?

Remember, I am really green and inexperienced as a backpacker. But I am fit.

One suggestion: Hike the Southern Taconics. Park at Rt 41 in Salisbury just south of Mass-Conn Line. Take AT north, over Lion's Head, to Bear Mountain (careful on the northern descent), through Sages Ravine, over Race and Everett. Hike onward to Jug End for the views, then double back Then work your way across to Bash Bish Falls (check the trails guide at Mass DCR site on Mt. Everett State Reservation), Mt. Alander, southward on Taconic Trail to Mt. Brace and South Brace, across CT/NY/MA junction and up Frissell, across Round Mtn, back over to Bear, then back South on Lion's Head to point of beginning. Lots of good waterfalls (if it ever rains again), excellent views, varied terraine, well-populated trails, which gives a safety element.

You could also do something similar tromoping around a lot of Greylock's trails. Or you could do a couple days at Greylock and a couple in the SW Taconics (do the Taconics first - Greylock's views will spoil you!).

Driver8
09-10-2010, 18:33
then back South on Lion's Head to point of beginning.

Meant to say "back south on AT over Bear to Lion's Head and place of beginning." Wish this site would let us edit after posting!

weary
09-11-2010, 21:35
Meant to say "back south on AT over Bear to Lion's Head and place of beginning." Wish this site would let us edit after posting!
It does. You just have to kick in $10 to help defray expenses. A real bargain -- even if you don't bother with editing.

Driver8
09-11-2010, 23:48
It does. You just have to kick in $10 to help defray expenses. A real bargain -- even if you don't bother with editing.

OK. Will do soon. Thanks!

aharwin
09-24-2014, 17:37
I know this post is 4 years old, but I'm interested to know more about your southern taconic loop. Can you tell me a little more about it? How long is it? How many days did you do it in? Where is camping available? etc.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Snowleopard
09-24-2014, 19:04
Here's two trail maps for the south Taconic area:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/parks/trails/mwashington.pdf
http://www.bnrc.net/zoom_map/berkshirecounty.htm This is a zoomable map, but the paper map from bnrc is a work of art; buy it, available bnrc or local bookstores.

There are a couple of loops:
take the AT north to either jug end or Mt. Everett;
1. walk or hitch down the Mt. Everett road then walk or hitch to either Bash Bish Falls then south on the S. Taconic. S. Taconic trail and Mt. Washington State Forest trails to Mt Frissel trail to East St., Mt. Wash.
OR: down Mt. Everett road to Mt. Wash State Forest HQ, up the trails to Mt. Alander to Mt. Trissel trail to East St.
2. AT to jug end and out to road. Hitch to Catamount Ski Area on rte 23. Take S. Taconic trail from Catamount Ski Area to Mt. Wash State Forest and Mt Frissel trail to east st.
3. There is a bushwhack from Jug End to the South Taconic trail of questionable legality. If you go off route a little you're definitely trespassing in areas where that may not be wise.

There is camping at shelters on the AT, at a backcountry camp area shown of the Mt. W. State Forest map and at a NY state campground just west of Bashbish Falls in NY; South Taconic Trail goes through this campground. Check with the rangers at the Mt. Wash State Forest HQ for other possibilities. The rangers patrol the State Forest, so illegal camping may get you ticketed; just ask them where to camp.

Some of the trails are steeper and harder than the 2000' max elevations would make you think. I've only done pieces of these loops. I don't think I'd want to do the trails around BashBish falls if it was icy.

Wil
09-24-2014, 20:41
... 3. There is a bushwhack from Jug End to the South Taconic trail of questionable legality. If you go off route a little you're definitely trespassing in areas where that may not be wise...In my original description I was very cautious about legalities. This was party because of the starchiness of the forum where it was posted. Many people have done this route. I would not describe it as a bushwhack, the route mostly follows existing paths and woods roads.

There is some discussion of it towards the end of this thread here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64276-South-Taconic-AT-loop-in-MA/page3&highlight=Taconic

including a link to the original discussion at VFFT.

A couple of recent addenda: the southern departure from the AT is overgrown stepping down off the knoll for a bit and requires much care the first 50-75 yards. The final stretch of meadows approaching Mt. Whitbeck are completely overgrown and the described paths departing the dirt road through the meadows are almost completely gone. You're wading through waist deep grass for 1/4 mile or so, and there are a few imbedded groups of pricker bushes that have to be gone around.

Also there is a nice descent along the high left bank of a major stream bed starting just after the "mother of all blowdowns" that I now prefer over my original descriptions.

I will. as soon as I can get to it, provide some detailed updated data to the original thread at VFFT.

Snowleopard
09-25-2014, 10:00
Wil, thanks for the correction. How easy/difficult is this route for less experienced folk? Alas, it looks like I won't be doing it this fall, again. Maybe in winter. It's a great hike.

I'm fairly sure that at one time the Taconic trail systems (s. taconic, taconic skyline, taconic crest trails) went continuously to the VT border, so with a little road walking in Williamstown you could do a loop from the CT border to Mt. Greylock on the AT then back on the Taconic trails. I think we lost some trails around Brodie Mt.

Wil
09-25-2014, 14:58
How easy/difficult is this route for less experienced folk?SOME less experienced folk will find the route very easy, some may become confused and disoriented. While virtually every step is on a trail, path, woods road or dry (mostly) stream bed, occasionally the way becomes faint and you may stray from any evident path. Plus there are game paths that might present decisions to be made. As long as a person is comfortable with a general awareness of direction (plus I give lot of GPS reference points), being "off-trail" for a short while in open woods will be taken in stride. But some people, experienced or not, will find that not easy, even dangerously disconcerting.

Personally, I'm fine off trail in open woods but if I get into dense shrub I can get frustrated and thrash about to the point I lose my sense of direction and can feel panic seeping in around the edges. I have to make a conscious effort to slow down, take stock, and slowly move towards both open woods and re-establish connection with my intended route. That can be a lot to ask of some inexperienced people or even experienced people who have only done groomed trails.

There are three potential problem areas (S-N): the somewhat overgrown first 50-75 yards off the knoll, the now-completely-overgrown 1/4 mile or so meadow section where you just have to pick a spot across it as a heading and plow through the high grass, and the section between the end of the dirt road going up Whitbeck and the stream paralleling East Street. The path in this last section is so faint it's almost unavoidable that sometimes you're just keeping a directional heading using the easiest footing you see.

Again, I'll post some more detail soon in the original discussion, including a GPS track and a detailed step by step description of that first 50-75 yards. And maybe an alternative to the meadow crossing.

Snowleopard
09-26-2014, 12:30
Thanks, Wil. I look forward to the additional detail. Health permitting maybe I'll do this in late fall/early winter.

1azarus
09-26-2014, 20:50
I suggest the Mohawk trail in CT... It is the old location of the Appalachian trail, and makes a great loop with the newer section of the Appalachian trail. Thirty some odd miles, if I remember correctly. Goes over Mohawk mountain,oddly enough.

Mags
09-26-2014, 22:27
As for wedding invites...heh. Don't let my girlfriend here that. ;)

Damn... This was written by me four years ago. The girlfriend is now my wife. And we celebrated our two year wedding anniversary last week.

1azarus
11-12-2014, 17:36
now i'm interested in sneaking away for a quick overnight next week. looks like the glastenbury/west ridge loop is calling to me. I just can't resist a loop trail. anybody actually do that hike and want to share a story or two about it? and congrats, Mags.