PDA

View Full Version : Left/Riight Zip, Long/Reg

Odd Man Out
09-03-2010, 20:08
I have always gotten by with hand-me-down, borrowed, garage sale, miscellaneous sleeping bags, but am now going to get me a real bag of my very own. Based on a lot of factors, I have settled on a WM Sycamore. My question, how do I know if I need a left or right zip. Also, I am exactly 6' 0", so do I get the regular bag (rated for up to 6 feet) or should I consider the long? I can't find them in the stores locally to try out.

TIA

Mountain Wildman
09-03-2010, 20:21
The side of zip is based on lying on your back in the bag, If you prefer to reach over your chest and unzip the bag with your left hand then you want right zip, reach over with your right hand then, left zip. The importance of space is of course related directly to the warmth created by your body within the sleeping bag, If you get the long bag which is usually 6 foot 6 inches then you have 6 inches of dead space to try to heat with your body heat but with no part of your body actually occupying that extra 6 inches, At 6 feet tall exactly, the regular size 6 foot bag would be the perfect size unless you like a little extra room in which case I would go with the long bag.

Luddite
09-03-2010, 20:35
Also, I am exactly 6' 0", so do I get the regular bag (rated for up to 6 feet) or should I consider the long? I can't find them in the stores locally to try out.

I'm about 6' 1" so i have the same problem. I either have a cold spot down by my feet if I get a long or I have to squeeze in if I get the regular. They should make them in three lengths!

tlap
09-03-2010, 20:39
There's nothing worse than a bag that is too short. IMO most manufacturers cut them a bit on the short side. If you get the longer one, just be sure to pull the excess length up so that your feet are at the bottom. You can tuck up the excess length under your knees.

mykl
09-04-2010, 12:49
I would go long. Let extra room is very nice and you can always wrap the extra around your feet in some way.
As far as zipper, With a side entry tent, I would go for the door side for easy in and out.

4eyedbuzzard
09-04-2010, 13:40
I'm right handed, and a side sleeper, and predominantly sleep on my left side - so I always want a left zip so it's in front of me and not open in the back.

bigcranky
09-04-2010, 15:59
+1 on 4eyed, I sleep on my left side, so I want a left zipper. Even with a draft tube, some cold air can come through the zipper, and I don't want that on my back in the middle of the night.

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2010, 16:23
I'm about 6' 1" so i have the same problem. I either have a cold spot down by my feet if I get a long or I have to squeeze in if I get the regular. They should make them in three lengths!

I'm the same height, and a regular bag cramps me. A long is just about right. I snuggle down to the bottom, preferring to have the "extra" up by my head so I can pull it over me when it's really cool, and scrunch it up under my head when it's not. I'm pretty much ambidextrous, so right vs. left hand zip doesn't really make much difference to me. Listen to the advice from those NOT equally clumsy with either hand!

Dogwood
09-04-2010, 16:35
Odd Man Out, I would buy from an outfitter that lets you return unused gear if it doesn't fit right or preview it for fit at an outfitter BEFORE you buy to check on length for fit. I would start out previewing the 6" long model. The semi-rectangular Sycamore is a 25* bag with an already roomy 46" girth footbox which plays into the stretchabilty(give) of the bag, your ability to sleep SLIGHTLY diagonally, your ability to warm the inside of the airspace with your body heat(lots of airspace to heat up compared to a mummy shaped bag), roominess, etc.

halftime
09-04-2010, 18:18
I am 6'0"...selected long because of extra girth (weighs 3 oz more than regular in this model)....regular would have been long enough otherwise. To me, zipper side would depend on your sleeping preferences and compatibility with your shelter.

Deadeye
09-04-2010, 20:42
I'm right handed, and a side sleeper, and predominantly sleep on my left side - so I always want a left zip so it's in front of me and not open in the back.

Ditto, but I sleep on my right side, so I go for a right zip. OTOH, 90% of the time I use the bag as a quilt, then it doesn't matter a bit.

SMSP
09-04-2010, 21:53
Longer usually gives 2-3 extra inchies in girth. I'm 5'11'', but needed a wide girth. I chose the Big Agnes Encampement 15 Long for the extra girth. One day, I'll fork out the $$$ for a down.

SMSP

Jonnycat
09-05-2010, 01:16
I got the right zip because my dog sleeps on my righthand side, and when it's really cold I open up the bag and share it with him.

Lyle
09-05-2010, 08:47
You can fairly effectively "downsize" a long bag to the exact size needed by tying a length of cord around the bag and cinching it snug at the appropriate location below your feet. Not 100% efficient because it does compress the fill a bit if you over snug, and you are carrying the extra weight, but it does work to make a long bag warmer for a short person.

Marmot includes a drawstring in the foot of some of their bags for just this purpose.

BOWSINGER
09-05-2010, 11:56
Several years ago I bought a center zip over the chest down bag. As a side sleeper (both sides), I ain’t never going back to side zip bags. Also works best when you use your bag open as a quilt.
My only complaint is that there isn’t enough selection on the market.

wicca32
09-05-2010, 18:46
I'm so short, I need a large child's bag, lol

mykl
09-06-2010, 12:59
Several years ago I bought a center zip over the chest down bag. As a side sleeper (both sides), I ain’t never going back to side zip bags. Also works best when you use your bag open as a quilt.
My only complaint is that there isn’t enough selection on the market.

I'm the same as you, sleeping on both sides, moving a lot. That's why I mostly use my rectangular bag (spring/summer) for more room.
What center zipper bag do you have? Do you like it? What are good center zip bags on the market now?
I do like the Exped Wallcreeper.