PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 20:45
How do you carry this? What do you put it in?

Thanks

Ann

Luddite
09-03-2010, 20:54
Something like this... http://www.rei.com/product/402024

Turtle Feet
09-03-2010, 21:11
Something like this... http://www.rei.com/product/402024

....and then inside a ziplock bag to protect everything else you're carrying

TF

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2010, 21:12
A small 2 oz bottle is okay for a day or two, but if you're thru-hiking and buying food without doing drops, then you'll be buying small bottles of oil, and likely they'll be glass. Most small olive oil bottles found in stores are 500 ml (17 oz). If you aren't going to use this much (roughly a pint) you can split it with another hiker if you can find one, or keep a 500 ml coke / pepsi bottle to transfer it into for carrying. A pint sounds like a huge amount of oil, but you can add it to most of the noodle and potato and other dishes you'll eat, spead it on bread, etc, and for its weight its one of the best sources of calories per amount of weight carried.

And even though you once had a weight problem, gaining weight will not be a problem on a thru-hike - getting enough calories will.

bigcranky
09-03-2010, 21:12
For section or weekend hikes, a small Nalgene bottle, maybe 200ml or so. The white plastic kind.

For a thru-hike, just buy the smallest bottle of olive oil in the grocery store and carry that. You'll use it up pretty quickly -- I would, anyway, given that I like a big squirt in my dinner. Oh, and and I'd not get the "extra virgin", it has too much flavor, I'd get the much more refined stuff.

bigcranky
09-03-2010, 21:13
To follow up on 4-e-b, we've been seeing a lot of plastic bottles of oil in the store lately.

kayak karl
09-03-2010, 21:20
if in the winter a large mouth container. i becomes a solid quick at 32 degrees. i carry my olive oil and fuel on outside of pack.

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2010, 21:23
To follow up on 4-e-b, we've been seeing a lot of plastic bottles of oil in the store lately.

Didn't know that - I'll keep an eye out. Most of the olive oil I see is usually still packaged in glass, but up here in northern NH we tend to be a few years behind civilized standards. Darn olive oil is so expensive I usually look for what size / brand is on sale for home use.

budforester
09-03-2010, 21:26
....and then inside a ziplock bag to protect everything else you're carrying

TF
I had that same thought; carry mine in same bag with the bottle of honey.

sbhikes
09-03-2010, 21:32
I bought a package of Colghan's plastic bottles and put it in one of them. I did not use much olive oil.

sarbar
09-03-2010, 22:56
I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz or www.packitgourmet.com - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack.

Graywolf
09-03-2010, 23:27
I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz (http://www.Minimus.biz) or www.packitgourmet.com (http://www.packitgourmet.com) - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack.

Ditto here too.

Deadeye
09-03-2010, 23:29
I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz (http://www.Minimus.biz) or www.packitgourmet.com (http://www.packitgourmet.com) - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack.

Ditto dat ditto

Jonnycat
09-04-2010, 00:39
I use a flip top like the one in the picture, and put it on one of the 4oz oval bottles from REI. Then it gets triple bagged (sandwich bag, little ziplock, freezer ziplock) and dropped into my food bag/resupply box.

Works splendidly, and doesn't make any mess at all.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4803/fliptopbottle.jpg

karo
09-04-2010, 00:57
But your hands turned BLUE!!!!!!

Miner
09-04-2010, 01:09
I just use a 8 to 16oz plastic water bottle (soda bottle also works). I never had one leak. I did have to resort to sqeezing the sides of the bottle to get some out when it solidified in cold weather so using a soft plastic bottle is an advantage.

Jonnycat
09-04-2010, 01:19

lol, I think it was the olive oil I stole from the Smurfs!

(in practice, though, I use my teeth to open and close the flip-top)

Spokes
09-04-2010, 05:48
Double check the seal on those cheap small plastic bottle you get from the outfitter by squeezing and listening for air escaping. You'll be amazed at how many of the caps leak.

I prefer the more sturdy

Nalgene polyethylene 4 oz. bottle (http://www.rei.com/product/402055) for olive oil (of course stored inside a ziplock!).

Pedaling Fool
09-04-2010, 09:13
I once left on a trip and forgot my oil. I bought some at a dollar store, it was in a plastic bottle, but I didn't feel comfortable witht he flimsy top so I bought a thing of chocolate milk -- the one with the rabbit on it. It worked perfectly and I still have it in my pack.

4eyedbuzzard
09-04-2010, 09:17
Double check the seal on those cheap small plastic bottle you get from the outfitter by squeezing and listening for air escaping. You'll be amazed at how many of the caps leak.

I prefer the more sturdy

Nalgene polyethylene 4 oz. bottle (http://www.rei.com/product/402055)for olive oil (of course stored inside a ziplock!).

2nd on those screw top mini-nalgenes. They come in many sizes and they're much better than anything else I've tried for small quantities. Use them for camp suds, oil, anything else liquid.

Tipi Walter
09-04-2010, 09:51
I use a flip top like the one in the picture, and put it on one of the 4oz oval bottles from REI. Then it gets triple bagged (sandwich bag, little ziplock, freezer ziplock) and dropped into my food bag/resupply box.

Works splendidly, and doesn't make any mess at all.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4803/fliptopbottle.jpg

This is a common problem and is called BiPhenol Blowback and results in blue digits and "other" appendages(----------------------------------------).

(in practice, though, I use my teeth to open and close the flip-top)

Blue Tooth Disease is another common off-set of these little containers, along with the Squirting Blue Tongue Darts, causing human heads to expand and contract, etc.

Luddite
09-04-2010, 11:30

Lmao. Its the BPA!

10-K
09-04-2010, 12:26
Unless you just particularly like olive oil I wouldn't even bother to carry it on a section hike - you won't really need the additional calories or fat.

When olive oil really becomes beneficial is day-after-day-after-day-after-day of long distance hiking and even then you don't really have to have it. I've never carried a drop of the stuff myself.

sarbar
09-04-2010, 13:38
Unless you just particularly like olive oil I wouldn't even bother to carry it on a section hike - you won't really need the additional calories or fat.

When olive oil really becomes beneficial is day-after-day-after-day-after-day of long distance hiking and even then you don't really have to have it. I've never carried a drop of the stuff myself.

Fats fill you up, extending the feeling of fullness. Fat also helps you digest food easier - less constipation. But more so...a little fat makes food just taste a lot better.

10-K
09-04-2010, 14:06
Fats fill you up, extending the feeling of fullness. Fat also helps you digest food easier - less constipation. But more so...a little fat makes food just taste a lot better.

True enough.

I don't have any problems getting full without olive oil and I like the taste of my food ok without it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing....

But if I did use it I'd get it from minimus.biz - that's where I get all my trail condiments. :)

Jonnycat
09-04-2010, 14:20

Amen to that. My only significant sources of fat on my hikes are the nuts I eat at lunch, and the ounce of EVOO I drizzle in my freezer bag of goodness at dinnertime.

I consider it an essential part of my nutrition.

sbhikes
09-04-2010, 14:54
I don't have any problems getting full without olive oil and I like the taste of my food ok without it. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing....
That's the thing for me, too. I don't really taste the difference without it. I don't do freezer bag cooking, preferring the one-pot meal, so often I don't want to bother with the cleanup for something I don't taste.

Mayonnaise, on the otherhand...Mmmm mmm good! (collected extra packets at fast-food places.)

Miner
09-04-2010, 15:45
Olive oil isn't just about fat calories or taste. It's also actually good for your body unlike many other fats. It can help reduce bad cholesterol levels, helps with digestion, and increases antioxidants in the blood to name a few benefits.

Dogwood
09-04-2010, 16:12
I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz (http://www.minimus.biz/) or www.packitgourmet.com (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack. Sarbar

Another great option. The packets are available in many outfitters. On the eastcoast EMS carries them.

Double check the seal on those cheap(Colgans brand!) small plastic bottle you get from the outfitter by squeezing and listening for air escaping. You'll be amazed at how many of the caps leak. Spokes

DITTO that! Good call!

If you elect to carry a small plastic screw cap bottle of EVOO, as I sometimes do on hikes to add extra GOOD FAT cals, DO double snack baggie the bottle!

..... I bought some at a dollar store, it was in a plastic bottle,... John Gault

Dollar General and similar dollar stores often carry Pompei brand olive oil in a 4 0z bottle, usually a glass bottle though, for $1!!!

Dominos, Pizza Hut, other pizzerias, Italian Restaurants, and sub shops often have packets or loose red pepper, granulated garlic, oregano, basil, and other spices that are readily available to give some variety to your EVOO as you hike. Free!

BiPhenol Blowback. That was good! LOL

Olive oil isn't just about fat calories or taste. It's also actually good for your body unlike many other fats. It can help reduce bad cholesterol levels, helps with digestion, and increases antioxidants in the blood to name a few benefits. Miner

Listen to what Miner posted. He got all that right. Just keep in mind that olive oil is still a fat

Hikes in Rain
09-04-2010, 16:18
I also keep hearing you can get single serving packets of olive oil at Subway, but our local ones don't seem to have read that.

rasudduth
09-05-2010, 11:05
We used the small gatorade bottles bagged in a zippie (ziplock bag), that way when the bottle falls apart or gets too gross we just throw it away and buy another one, drink the gatorade, then transfer the old oil or buy new oil and transfer it from the glass bottle.

sarbar
09-05-2010, 12:38
Olive oil + Italian herb seasoning + red pepper flakes = dip bread, tortillas, etc in it. Y-U-M!

You can mix it up in a snack size bag in camp.

John B
09-05-2010, 19:03

Doughnut
09-05-2010, 19:12
I also keep hearing you can get single serving packets of olive oil at Subway, but our local ones don't seem to have read that.

have you asked? I read that SUBWAY had them too, and I asked, they keep them stored under the counter.

DoughNut

Hikes in Rain
09-05-2010, 19:14
You know, now that you bring it up, I haven't. But I'm going to! Thanks for the hint!

Tinker
09-05-2010, 23:35
[QUOTE=10-K;1046439]True enough.

I do - a few extra pounds!;)
Seriously, though, fat has the most caloric content per ounce of any source, so adding fat to meals is a good practice for hiking, though you do make a good argument for not needing it for short hikes. Someone with my body fat could, for instance, probably hike a three day section carrying vitamins and energy drink powder alone (but it wouldn't be much fun).

Tinker
09-05-2010, 23:37
Btw, I use the Nalgene bottle without the flip top cap, and I also store the bottle in a plastic bag with a twist lock (sometimes a ziplock just won't do).

Tinker
09-05-2010, 23:38
Oh - that's a twist tie (I'm tired).

IronGutsTommy
09-16-2010, 22:55
as im constantly using the forums to gain information, I thought my work as a chef might allow me to give a little info on this subject. Extra virgin olive oil has a heavier/ more enhanced olive taste than standard olive oil. as lots of trail recipes use olive oil as a nutrient food source, i thought that might help. i find if im not making something typically italian, i prefer standard olive oil. it blends alot better in not traditional uses, like in oatmeal, etc. where u dont want a heavy olive taste.. just my two cents

sarbar
09-17-2010, 10:51
IGT - you have that exactly right! I will admit I call for EVOO due to me loving the taste (and the smell as well) of the oil.

One can though often swap in any plain vegetable oil (like corn, canola, etc) that is mild and no real flavor if it is for calories alone.

ken209
09-17-2010, 11:16
How do you carry this? What do you put it in?

Thanks

Ann
I use an old pill bottle or cough syrup bottle.