PDA

View Full Version : Rice recipes

Prettywoman0172
09-03-2010, 23:43
I have recently been given a quite a bit of free rice...any interesting recipes or ideas?

Ann

IronGutsTommy
09-03-2010, 23:56
damnn ann you got more posts than the white house fence!

DapperD
09-03-2010, 23:58
I have recently been given a quite a bit of free rice...any interesting recipes or ideas?

Annof course. A giant batch of homemade rice pudding!:sun

IronGutsTommy
09-04-2010, 00:06
i searched rice and found 436 threads.. you really need to start using the search option. all your questions havetons of answers just waiting for you. carpet bombing the forum with new posts is just rediculous

Farr Away
09-04-2010, 00:12
If you have a dehydrator, cook then dry it. Wa-la, instant rice - backpacking ready.

Chicken, rice & cranberries. Season to taste with bullion, garlic & onion.

As a base for stir frys. Doesn't have to be anything complicated - throw some veggies, meat & sauce together. Ladle over hot rice.

Deadeye
09-04-2010, 10:23
Back on track... here's a basic formula for hiking dinners: take one big helping of starchy carbs (rice, noodles, mashed potatoes,etc.), add a protein (can or pouch of chicken, shrimp, tuna, tofu, etc.), add some veggies, dried or fresh, and some flavor (hot sauce, spices & herbs, soup mix) and you have endless dinner possibilities.

Here's a great sit for dried veggies and meat substitutes:
http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/

and here's one for sauces,etc.
http://www.minimus.biz/

IronGutsTommy
09-04-2010, 10:40
funny JC. i didnt know it was common protocol to put words into peoples mouths you must work for star magazine. i get it tho, i was probably a little hard on her. but when the last 4 out of 5 posts under food, the most information filled category on WB, are by a person who has been told multiple times to limit her new threads and USE the SEARCH tool, i guess i reached a boiling point.

Hikes in Rain
09-05-2010, 07:54
If the forum owners and moderators aren't worried about thread numbers, why should we? Is this not, after all, a community of AT appreciators? I enjoy Ann's enthusiasm and her quest for knowledge, and will be delighted to answer any of her questions that I can.

avalonmorn
09-05-2010, 12:04
prettywoman0172 joined 8/23/10 37 posts

irongutstommy joined 8/21/10 117 posts

:-?

avalonmorn
09-05-2010, 12:11
Aren't we all excited and "gung ho" when we first join?
Ann, there's a wealth of knowledge for you to search.
IrongutsTommy, I see your point.
Sometimes while sitting here reading, I think of a smart alec answer as if the people were in the room with me.

Old Hiker
09-05-2010, 12:19
If the forum owners and moderators aren't worried about thread numbers, why should we? Is this not, after all, a community of AT appreciators? I enjoy Ann's enthusiasm and her quest for knowledge, and will be delighted to answer any of her questions that I can.

+1 for me. Plus, she is asking questions that I can relate to as I get ready for my 2012 hike. For instance: with this one, I didn't know about cooking rice and dehydrating it. I use Minute Rice a lot, but it's expensive. I'm trying this out today or tomorrow.

Forgot: good luck on your hike, PrettyWoman!

sarbar
09-05-2010, 12:26
+1 for me. Plus, she is asking questions that I can relate to as I get ready for my 2012 hike. For instance: with this one, I didn't know about cooking rice and dehydrating it. I use Minute Rice a lot, but it's expensive. I'm trying this out today or tomorrow.

Forgot: good luck on your hike, PrettyWoman!

Yep - and you can do many types as well! Bamboo rice, Jasmine rice, plain white rice....you get the idea.

The secret is to make sure you break up clumps often - I dry mine on parchment paper for ease.

http://www.trailcooking.com/dehydrating101/pasta-grains - This is how I do it :)

Wrangler88
09-05-2010, 12:31
prettywoman0172 joined 8/23/10 37 posts

irongutstommy joined 8/21/10 117 posts

:-?

I had this same thought.

Hikes in Rain
09-05-2010, 13:22
... I didn't know about cooking rice and dehydrating it. I use Minute Rice a lot, but it's expensive. I'm trying this out today or tomorrow.

You can do this with brown rice, as well, takes a good 45 minutes to cook. Your own "instant" brown rice!

IronGutsTommy
09-05-2010, 13:26
i may have posted more, but i do not create close to half as many new threads. its all the new threads that get a lil crazy. most of my posts were to existing threads. but to each their own, i suppose

Danielsen
09-05-2010, 15:44
It may be a bit impractical on the trail, but look up Horchata. An absolutely delicious drink.

Farr Away
09-07-2010, 17:05

The secret is to make sure you break up clumps often - I dry mine on parchment paper for ease.

I wasn't home while my rice was drying, but I found that the mortar and pestle I use for spices (the pestle basically fills the mortar) broke apart the clumps pretty well. Use a fairly light touch to break up the clumps without powdering the rice.

-FA

Fiddleback
09-11-2010, 13:30
Aren't we all excited and "gung ho" when we first join?

The passion of adolescence!;)

Rice recipe for the trail (I call it, Rice Gorp): Rice (Minute or homemade instant), dehydrated hamburger seasoned to taste (e.g., ground black pepper, liquid smoke, worchestershire sauce), dehydrated peas and corn (I start with frozen store-bought), dehydrated onion (first cooked almost to the caramelization point), all dumped into a freezer baggie for later rehydration.

This is one of the one pot meals I fix fresh about once a month and it does great on the trail too. I like it with ketchup and mustard.:D YMMV.

FB

LaurieAnn
09-11-2010, 14:25
The nice thing about pre-cooking and drying rice is that you can also use the same method for rice varieties that require a much longer cook time than white or basmati rice. Wild rice and brown rice varieties are excellent candidates for this. I also like to dry red cargo rice and black rice. It makes for a nice variety and saves fuel.

Pedaling Fool
09-11-2010, 14:50
I don't really like to pre-cook rice since I get the impression that you lose a lot of the nutrients, but I'm not sure if this is true.

However, I also don't like it because I don't like to spend the time since I already use the dehydrator for so many other things, so the extra cooking time on the trail is not a big deal for me.

My rice recipie:

I usually use 20-30 minute cooking rice that can be gotten at any dollar/grocery store. I cook it with various dehydrated foods, such as
beef/chicken jerky
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Celery
Carrots
Broccoli
Spinach
Onion
Peppers
Garlic (I don't dehydrate garlic since it keeps well on the trail and easy to carry and can get at any grocery store)

I'm sure I've used other things, but that's all I can remember now.

It's important not to overdehydrate foods or you will rob yourself of nutrients and taste. Also I usually don't add the dehydrated stuff until the rice is about 1/2 way cooked, except the jerky I throw that in with the rice. If you overcook the dehydrated veggies you will lose much of the taste and rehydration is never a problem.

Also, I add more water than required because it makes it easier to clean the pot. So basically I eat a rice stew and it's very good, I even like it without the hiker appetite. As for spices I'm always changing that up.

sarbar
09-11-2010, 21:16
As long as you don't drain your rice all is good.

Pedaling Fool
09-12-2010, 08:16
...Also, I add more water than required because it makes it easier to clean the pot. So basically I eat a rice stew and it's very good, I even like it without the hiker appetite. As for spices I'm always changing that up.
Thanks Sarber, you reminded me of something I should have emphasized.

I know you're talking about pre-cooking rice, but it reminded me that I should have said that when I add more water for cooking I don't spill any out. With all the spices and flavor from the dehydrated foods the rice stew is not watery tasting, so pouring any out would be a waste of nutrients.

Also, I always carry some type of oil to mix in the stew.

brotheral
09-12-2010, 08:35
Maybe, dig up some re-runs of "Survivor" and see how
they prepare THE RICE :ee Just Kidding :banana
Pretty Woman, I enjoy reading your threads / posts and understand your excitement....

sarbar
09-12-2010, 11:06
John, I bet it is a very hearty/satisfying stew indeed! The extra water in it would help with getting rehydrated in the evening as well :) (One reason I LOVE thick chowders in cool weather is I get dinner and a ton of water!)

Scrapes
09-12-2010, 21:30
Thanks for starting the thread. Rice recipes are something I've been meaning to look into but never remember when I'm on. Thanks

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 12:26
Rice-A-Roni!!!

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 12:26
and sometimes a can of tuna