PDA

View Full Version : NCT IN Pa

medicjimr
09-04-2010, 09:20
Hello folks wanted to see if anyone has hiked any of the NCT in Pa the web site hasn't been touched much in the Pa portion to get any info on. Can anyone recommend any particular section I have heard some stuff about the section in marine state park that I won't discuss as is I don't agree with. but wanted to know more on the northern section clarion county north thanks

partly cloudy
10-06-2010, 14:47
medicjimr Sorry it took so long to answer your query. I can answer any question you have on the NCT in the Allegheny National Forest. I am the chapter president. You can contact me directly at [email protected] and i will respond allot sooner.
Keith

handlebar
10-10-2010, 23:21
The Allegheny National Forest section is very nice. I hiked it a couple years ago with a friend from NEOH Backpacking Club (check out their website for trips). We parked at the south end of the NF and got a shuttle from a member of the ANF Chapter of the NCTA to the north end.

smalls
01-10-2011, 22:02
I'm also curious about this. I plan on doing the 90ish miles that runs through PA this spring. How rugged is the PA stretch? This will be a shake-down/warm up for the AT, so I'm curious how much up and down to expect.

-Smalls

partly cloudy
01-11-2011, 10:37
smalls this not rugged terrain. A few 800 elevations gains but they're gradual. trail marked and easy to spot. Plenty of parking along the way at the trailheads. From the Clarion River to the N.Y. state line, you can get a map from the NCTA, ( www.northcountrytrail.org ) and go to shop,, maps,, Pa-01. This section is 97% off road and in the woods. In the ANF, ( 97.3 trail miles ) you can camp almost anywhere. Once on the state game lands,, no camping. Any questions,, e-mail [email protected]

isawtman
01-11-2011, 11:00
Partly Cloudy

Can you give us an overview of what's happening in Pennsylvania in regards to the NCT.
I have heard about the Allegheny segment which is a 90+ mile segment, but what progress is being made on the rest of the trail in PA and how is the connection to the Fingers Lake Trail coming along?

I'd rather people post their questions for you here, so I can see the answers. My first question would be, is there any shuttles or transportation that will get you back to your car?

Thanks, Tman

handlebar
01-11-2011, 17:15
Isawtman, If you PM Partly Cloudy, he might be able to connect you with a shuttle in the Allegheny National Forest Area. When I hiked that section, we parked our car at the souothern end (near Marienville, IIRC) and he drove us up to the north end at the NY border. We gave him some gas money, but he said he donates it to the ANF Chapter of the North Country Trail Assn.

partly cloudy
01-14-2011, 15:51
isawtman I can offer you a shuttle if you give me enough notice,, say a week.
The Pa. section does connect with the Finger Lakes and goes all the way to the Adirondacks. The NCTA is work with N.Y. state to lat out a path thru the "Daks" and make the final connection with Crown Point. ALSO, the Vermont Long Trail people have consented to allow us to connect up with them.
The middle of Pa, and the south-western section are complete but allot of road walk. Landowners are stubborn but the crews down there are work hard.
If ya wanna hike thru here, and you would like a map, go to the NCTA's web site. The ANF section is on map Pa-01, middle,,Pa-02,, southern, Pa-03. If ya have any other questions, just give me a hollar.

Pioneer Spirit
01-14-2011, 16:21
I would reccomend this book by Joan Young:

http://www.aldha.org/youngj.htm

It details her multi-year hike of the NCT, I obtained an autographed copy from her at a trail festival in Milford Ohio.

Pioneer Spirit
01-14-2011, 16:22
And this article too: http://www.americanhiking.org/uploadedFiles/News_Room/JoanYoungNorthCountryTrails.pdf?n=8064

bobtomaskovic
01-15-2011, 00:24
I hiked the trail from NY state line to Cooks Forest SP when I lived in Youngstown (13yrs ago?). It was a great trip for me. Only saw 1-2 people a day after I got past the resevior until the state park. There were a lot of cool things to see at that time. Thanks to everyone who worked on it!