PDA

View Full Version : 7-day section in NC/TN?

stevehollx
09-05-2010, 00:03
Looking to get away from things for a week this fall, and I've got an inkling to fulfill a lifelong urge of backpacking (to date, I've never been able to find anyone to go with).

I'm looking for a ~7-day section of the AT to backpack, so I guess about 80-100 miles. It'll likely be a solo trip, and my first time overnight hiking. I've been on tons of day hikes and camping trips, so I'm fairly comfortable doing a trip of this length solo on the AT, since it is so well traveled.

I'm looking for a scenic section of the AT in the NC/TN area to do, which would be good for about a week long trek. Ideally, scenic mountain vistas and waterfalls/streams are preferred. Woudn't be bad to be on a stretch where I can hit a small town or two in case I need that morale boost.

Anyone have any recommendations?

gungho
09-05-2010, 00:18
Looking to get away from things for a week this fall, and I've got an inkling to fulfill a lifelong urge of backpacking (to date, I've never been able to find anyone to go with).

I'm looking for a ~7-day section of the AT to backpack, so I guess about 80-100 miles. It'll likely be a solo trip, and my first time overnight hiking. I've been on tons of day hikes and camping trips, so I'm fairly comfortable doing a trip of this length solo on the AT, since it is so well traveled.

I'm looking for a scenic section of the AT in the NC/TN area to do, which would be good for about a week long trek. Ideally, scenic mountain vistas and waterfalls/streams are preferred. Woudn't be bad to be on a stretch where I can hit a small town or two in case I need that morale boost.

Anyone have any recommendations?

goodluck with all that.....................one step at a time:welcome

ChinMusic
09-05-2010, 00:29
Dick's Creek Gap to Fontana is just a tad under 100. Got Franklin and NOC to break things up.

Jim Obermeyer
09-05-2010, 05:42
Waterville Exit on I 40 to Erwin TN. about 100 miles. Hot Springs,NC for a moral booster. It's about 35 miles from the Waterville Exit. For scenic view, one spot would be Max Patch.

Stir Fry
09-05-2010, 07:04
Waterville Exit on I 40 to Erwin TN. about 100 miles. Hot Springs,NC for a moral booster. It's about 35 miles from the Waterville Exit. For scenic view, one spot would be Max Patch.

Second this ,I did it 2 yr ago. Eat, sleep, and resuply in Hot Springs. I would think 1st 2ed week of Oct, would be good. Parking at Oc Johnnys

MoodyBluer
09-05-2010, 21:42
I vote for the stretch between Erwin and Damascus...Beauty Spot, Overmountain Shelter, The Humps...not sure about distance but I think that might be around a week long trip.

Stir Fry
09-05-2010, 22:26
I vote for the stretch between Erwin and Damascus...Beauty Spot, Overmountain Shelter, The Humps...not sure about distance but I think that might be around a week long trip.

Its 133 miles takes more that 7 days. can be done in 12 though.

daylaandjasper
09-06-2010, 00:55
the 75 mi or so of the Smokies is great- you can go into Gatlinburg, but you would need a permit and you have to stay in shelters which can be kind of confining. I did the above mentioned 100 mi or so from north of end of Smokies to erwin- great hike with Hot Springs to break it up.

Erwin to Damascus is all pretty good- to shave it down from 133 miles- you could start at Carvers gap and avoid the climb up Roan (but miss beauty spot and Roan views), then stop at whatever point you could get to in the time you have. Damascus would be 90 miles from Carvers Gap.

There are hostels at 19E (Mountain Harbor) and Dennis Cove Rd (Kincora) for R& R and resupply. Waterfalls: you would hit Jones Falls, Mountaineer Falls and Laurel Falls. Scenery- the Humps are spectacular and there are some nice vistas before Damascus, watauga Lake is nice.

Deerleg
09-06-2010, 16:34
I've done all the above sections, and they all are great, but for a great first long hike experience and great scenery my pick would be the Smokies if your OK with using shelters...
If you want to just work on you outdoor skills any 60-80 mile stretch in the Erwin / Damascus stretch would be rewarding.

Marta
09-06-2010, 20:32
I'd recommend heading up to Grayson Highlands State Park for a weekend overnighter before you head out for a week. There are loops of all lengths available around Mount Rogers, and you can check out your gear and refine your plans before your big trip.

The whole NC section is great. Deep Gap to Fontana Dam is a great section. Ron Haven in Franklin can help with logisitics on that section.

The Smokies are fantastic, and since you have to stay in shelters (and have reservations for each one) you can dispense with a tent.

I-40 to Erwin, TN, is a great section, too.

Have a great hike!

chelko
09-07-2010, 11:53
For your first trip of this type I would go with the smokies. Well established trails, the likleyhood of other hikers (in case of accident or problems) and plenty of early bail out options with side trails. Plus you can't beat the AT through the smokies for scenery in the fall.