PDA

View Full Version : swim spots?

stonedflea
09-05-2010, 07:38
hey guys! i'm planning on possibly starting my nobo thru-hike in march. does anybody know of any decent swimming holes around the upper half of the trail? theoretically, i'd like to plan my summertime zeros around nice, scenic campsites that would allow for a swim. =)

restless
09-05-2010, 08:15
Maine is one big swimming hole, but definitely take time at Pierce Pond. Shelter there. Harrisons Pierce Pond camps are still open I believe and make it one of the greatest places to zero.

Painted Turtle
09-05-2010, 08:43
Maine is one big swimming hole, but definitely take time at Pierce Pond. Shelter there. Harrisons Pierce Pond camps are still open I believe and make it one of the greatest places to zero.

As was said Maine is one big swimming hole but my favorite was Cooper Brook. While swimming a fisherman walked in and within 5 minutes, 5 casts he had 5 brookies. Still don't know how he made it out of there with them. There was about 8 of us just staring at those nice fresh fish :)

Grampie
09-05-2010, 19:28
A very nice spot to go swimming is Upper Goose Pond in Massachusetts. Stay at the cabin go swimming and get a pancake breakfast in the morning..It doesn't get any better than that.:sun

LIhikers
09-05-2010, 20:53
In NY you'll find a lake beach at Tiorati Circle.
Spend the night at Fingerboard shelter, then walk the easy mile+ to the beach. After that it's not far to the William Brien Memorial shelter. I'd suggest using your tent at both of those sites.

Memphis Tim
09-05-2010, 21:16
Believe it or not, one of the best swimming ponds on the trail is Nuclear Lake just east of NY Rt. 55. I get a warm green glow just thinking about it.

Lone Wolf
09-05-2010, 21:18
the best swim spots are on blue-blaze trails where most hikers will never go

DaveSail
09-05-2010, 22:34
One that comes to mind is Greenwood Lake . The trail goes near .
This lake lies North / South across the New Jersey / New York
border . Oddly , no swimming in New Jersey but you can in N.Y.
All the same water ! You can also rent little sailboats on the N.J. end , and there is a nice little airport a short walk up the hill , if anyone wants to fly somewhere . [ On that airport sits Howard Hughes' personal
Locheed Constelation . ] David

Tinker
09-05-2010, 22:55
I swam in just about every lake in Maine, and enjoyed "The Kettles" at Little Bigelow shelter as well (pools in the stream just south of the shelter. Pierce pond was my favorite, though.

shelterbuilder
09-06-2010, 09:14
At Hertline campsite, between Rts. 501 and 183 in Pa. Follow the blue trail down from the camping area and you'll find an old power-dam...even on the hottest days in August, the water is BONE-CHILLING. The site is under the joint ownership of NPS and Pa. DCNR, and the dam breast was recently repaired (cosmetic stuff - the dam is still structurally sound). It's a little piece of history from the time when many rural communities had their own small-scale hydro power plants.

OldFeet
09-07-2010, 08:45
Stratton Pond is a nice place to camp and swin. Also Little Rock Pond a day or two north of there. As others have mentioned Goose Pond in Massachusetts is a nice clear lake and there are bunks at the Goose Pond Cabin about a half mile off the trail.