PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mt. Trail run

10-K
09-05-2010, 07:53
So yesterday I ran my first organized trail run in Damascus. It's named "The Iron Mt. Trail Run" and you can choose between 16, 30 and 50 mile distances.

This being my first race on trails I stayed on the conservative side and signed up for the 16 milers.

The race started at 7:00 am with perfect weather - cool and clear with no wind. The first 4.5 miles followed the creeper trail northbound out of town. Having only a slight uphill slope this was a great way to bank some time before hitting the trail. I maintained a 10 mpm pace along this section. After leaving the creeper traill, the route ran up a mountain, mostly switchbacked, to the ridge and joined the Iron Mt. trail (I'm pretty sure this is right...). The course ran along the ridge with several ups and downs but there were some pretty long runnable stretches that you could make good time on. For us 16 milers we turned around at FR 90 and ran the Iron Mt. Trail all the way back into Damascus. Looking at the elevation profile prior to the race I had hoped to make good time over the last 2 miles but wasn't able to because the last mile or so of trail coming down the mountain was steep and very rocky - I think this was the slowest part of the run for me. The last half mile or so was along the road and rejoined the creeper trail back into Damascus.

I'm still waiting on the official results but according to my GPS I finished the 16 miles in 3:21. I believe Lone Wolf was correct when he said running on the trail is easier than running on the street. I'm not reallly close to being in marathon shape and didn't want to sign up for the 30 miler because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish but knowing what I know now I'm pretty sure I could have ran and finished the 30 miler before the cutoff time. Trail running involves a totally different mindset when it comes to pacing than road running does and it's much easier on the body than the pounding you take running on pavement.

Overall, it was fun and a challenge. It's a great way to do something in the woods without taking time off from work and still feel like you've accoomplished something out of the ordinary routine of a day.

I'd like to thank Alligator and Lone Wolf for the encouragement to give it a go. I'm looking at a 30 miler in Columbia, SC in January 2011. :)

Link to google earth map and elevation profile: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47556378?sms_ss=email

JAK
09-05-2010, 09:35
Good run. Sounds like Damascus is a happening place.

rasudduth
09-05-2010, 10:58
Trail running is a great substitute for thru-ing for the times when you choose to remain at your job in the front country but still need to fulfill a sense of adventure and accomplishment. Like thruhiking, trail ultras are mainly mental challenges/journeys, and secondarily physical. Keep it up!

Egads
09-05-2010, 11:39
Pretty close to LW's 2009 time IIRC

Danielsen
09-05-2010, 15:40
This kinda thing really makes me wish I had some local wilderness bigger than 3 miles on the long side.

Congratulations on the excellent first trail race!

GeneralLee10
09-05-2010, 21:39
Grats, this something I would like to try. I'm working on atleast a 10k now for starters.

JJJ
09-07-2010, 08:55
Good Job, 10-K, and good to meet you.
That downhill in Mock Holler can be humbling especially when you're hurting and you feel you're almost home. :)
Come run with us when you can. I think our group run will be Grayson Highlands in Oct.
And there's a 15 mile race in Harlan Ky Sat after Thanksgiving we like to do.

Interesting side note:

There was a rattlesnake up at the turnaround aid station -about 20 yards off trail.
I keep watch on it cause I was afraid it would warm up and crawl out on the course.
But, it sat there all day and barely moved a muscle.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/video/video.php?v=1588493918484&ref=mf

JJJ
09-07-2010, 08:56
Oh yeah, results are up.
https://sites.google.com/site/ironmountaintrailrun/2010-results--16-milers

10-K
09-07-2010, 10:17
Good Job, 10-K, and good to meet you.
That downhill in Mock Holler can be humbling especially when you're hurting and you feel you're almost home. :)
Come run with us when you can. I think our group run will be Grayson Highlands in Oct.
And there's a 15 mile race in Harlan Ky Sat after Thanksgiving we like to do.

Is this the Mountain Masters run?

If so, I tried to register but can't find any info on the 2010 race. Does it have a website or is there a registration form available?

John B
09-07-2010, 10:51
My wife has done that race for the past four years (the Mountain Masters). It's her favorite of all races. Don't really know why she likes it that much, but she says the course is beautiful and it's low-key.

I think that Lone Wolf ran it last year, too.

10-K, you were running 6-min miles for 4.5 miles on the Iron Mt? That's impressive. No way I have that kind of speed.

10-K
09-07-2010, 12:50
10-K, you were running 6-min miles for 4.5 miles on the Iron Mt? That's impressive. No way I have that kind of speed.

Haha, I wish! No, 10 minutes per mile on the creeper trail. :)

If anyone has any info on the 2010 Mountain Master's race I'd love to have it.

JJJ
09-07-2010, 13:17
I'll let you know, about then Mountan Masters, 10-K, when specifics are posted. The RD uses a link from the main festivals site, but nothing has turned up yet. He has been thinking about a 50k option, so I'm pretty sure the 16M is gonna happen. The race is less "traily", there's about 3 miles of asphalt even, so it's a faster 16 miler than IMTR.

10-K
09-07-2010, 19:30
I'll let you know, about then Mountan Masters, 10-K, when specifics are posted. The RD uses a link from the main festivals site, but nothing has turned up yet. He has been thinking about a 50k option, so I'm pretty sure the 16M is gonna happen. The race is less "traily", there's about 3 miles of asphalt even, so it's a faster 16 miler than IMTR.

So the 50k would be more like a regular marathon since it'd be on hardpacked surfaces and pavement?

I think I could do a 50k on a trail like the Iron Mt. Trail run but I don't know if I'd want to bite off a 31 mile non-stop run. No problem on the 16 miler though - I'll run that one and hopefully can get together with you guys for some training runs. I've put together some good trail runs down here too anywhere from 6-24 miles so maybe ya'll can come this way some day. Iron Mt. Gap to the Nolichucky river is a great 20 mile run.

10-K
09-10-2010, 17:20
Just an FYI - the Mountain Masters 16 mile Trail Run registration has opend.

I just registered and am looking forward to it....