PDA

View Full Version : Sad news about Walkin' Jim Stoltz

m_factor
09-05-2010, 22:54
Just passing along the sad news. Walkin' Jim will be missed...

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 08:19:05 -0600
To: Leslie Stoltz<[email protected]>
Subject: passing on news about JIm

Everyone, With great sadness we share with you news of Jim's death. Jim died at midnight last night. His best friend and former wife Leslie was with him. Jim's health status, including organ failure and extreme difficulty in breathing, deteriorated very very rapidly.
Jim's two sisters and brother are en route to Helena . The shortness of time simply did not allow them to make travel arrangements and complete their journey before Jim died. Jim's inordinately quick death leaves all of us somewhat stunned but such is the nature of cancer.
Jim had a great day on Friday. He laughed with those fortunate enough to spend time with him and inspired us as we looked out on a magnificent blue sky and the beautiful Big Belt Mountains . Jim loved the fellowship and deeply valued being part of our community. He was very fond of all of you and found great comfort in your company. Your warmth and welcome gave Jim the community he always wanted and found in the fellowship.
Jim was beloved by all of us and the thousands of children and others with whom he shared his deep understanding, profound respect, and unconditional love of nature.
Jim's body is being cremated per his wishes. A memorial service involving the fellowship is in the offing. As you know, numerous tasks come with Jim's death and will be attended to in the coming days. Of course, we will keep you apprised as things evolve.
All of you made a wonderful difference in Jim's life as he did in ours. We know that Jim's music and friendship will live on in our memories as we turn now to celebrating Jim's life. Be gentle with yourselves and others.

Peg and Patrick
Leslie
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Tinker
09-05-2010, 22:59
I'm shocked. I was hoping for the best, but it was not to be. I never met Jim personally but felt I knew him through his music through which he will live on, hopefully, for future generations who share in his love of the outdoors.

Elder
09-05-2010, 23:10
He's making music on a new trail now.

Lyle
09-05-2010, 23:27
I met Jim a couple of times, exchanged a couple of emails with him over the years. Last time I saw him was when I volunteered at one of his concerts in Ann Arbor. He was always a very inspiring and gracious man. He will be missed.

daylaandjasper
09-06-2010, 00:26
I saw walkin Jim play at several Gatherings. I had hoped to see him play again someday and will miss his talent. Cancer sucks. I am also a cancer survivor. he will be missed.

Jan LiteShoe
09-06-2010, 00:38
I haven't been on here much due to a crushing workload and other diversions, but I had to check back in when I heard the news. It was a sock in the gut.

Such a kind, funny gentle man, and his sudden illness and decline was a shock, although if anyone knew how to value each day as if it might be the last, it would be a man who had been given a second chance at life (via an organ transplant). His moving shows always made me want to quit the day job and dig the pack out the next morning.

His passing leaves a rip in our collective fabric. Thanks Mara for passing the news along.

IronGutsTommy
09-06-2010, 01:13
As life goes on, the path grows strange
with faces new, and near the end
the milestones into headstones change
beneath every one, a friend.

Pilgrim2K
09-06-2010, 01:18
I am so sad to hear of Jim's passing. I first met Jim at my first Gathering
in 1983. His music, photography, and the man himself was always bigger than life.
I will miss him tremendously, but know that his music will live on.
Hike on Jim.

northernstorm
09-06-2010, 01:49
sad sad news. however he is in pain no more. walking wherever his spirit leads him.

Wolf - 23000
09-06-2010, 01:51
Walking Jim was truely one of the Greats. He gave so much of himself sharing not only his stories of being in the wilderness but also doing so much to preserve it. I remember meeting him for the first time at the Gathering and again on the PCT as a hiker. He was so full of life. He will truely be missed.

Wolf

Jan LiteShoe
09-06-2010, 02:16
There are a few clips on YouTube.
Here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_27vQMvWU&feature=related

Bearpaw
09-06-2010, 02:49
I'll miss him. I am lucky to have seen him in concert a couple of times. He did great things and shared it with all of us.

moytoy
09-06-2010, 08:13
Here is on of my favorites from 1990 Mt. Round River Rendezvous.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23313091

Lyle
09-06-2010, 10:35
Here is on of my favorites from 1990 Mt. Round River Rendezvous.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23313091

Great Clip. Thanks for posting.

gamtns2000
09-06-2010, 12:30
I had the privilege of seeing him at a few Gatherings. This past Fall, I took
my wife to see him at Berry College here in Georgia. His music spoke to
my soul. The first time I heard him singing "All Along the Great Divide" in
a presentation at a Gathering, I had to find out who that was, because that
song spoke so eloquently of why I love to backpack. He will be greatly
missed, but he will live on in his music.

Wandering Soul

Mags
09-06-2010, 13:49
Always a gracious man who inspired many people. Fortunate enough to see him at ALDHA Gatherings and once when he was here in Boulder.

He'll be missed.

Rick Hancock
09-06-2010, 14:34
I was first introduced to Walkin' Jim's music in the late 70's/early 80's. I always found great meaning and inspiration in his songs. I introduced my daughter Sierra to his music when she was about 7-8 years old, when she first heard his voice she said "He sounds like an old grizzly." A few years later she met him and stated, "You even look like a grizzly!" Jim took it as a great compliment being compared to one of the animals he loved so well.

I will miss his music and his message.
Rick Hancock

Trailbender
09-06-2010, 16:00
I haven't been on here much due to a crushing workload and other diversions, but I had to check back in when I heard the news. It was a sock in the gut.

Such a kind, funny gentle man, and his sudden illness and decline was a shock, although if anyone knew how to value each day as if it might be the last, it would be a man who had been given a second chance at life (via an transplant). His moving shows always made me want to quit the day job and dig the pack out the next morning.

His passing leaves a rip in our collective fabric. Thanks Mara for passing the news along.

Yeah, I have felt the same way sometimes. Just drop college and all these student loans and go live free on the AT. I finished my thru hike on August 12th, and I often find myself missing the AT.

Red Wolf
09-07-2010, 10:34
He's making music on a new trail now.

A-MEN to that !

TOW
09-07-2010, 10:42
wow...............

No Belay
09-07-2010, 10:52
If God issues "Hiking Wings", I'm sure Walkin got a matched set. His photos were always an inspiration for us and the main influence behind my mantra of "Savor Happy".

ma budda
09-07-2010, 11:23
James Stoltz
(June 8, 1953 - September 3, 2010)

Walkin’ Jim Stoltz set off on his last forever wild hike on Friday, September 3, 2010. Our master troubadour and dear friend fought a heroic battle with cancer in Helena, MT. He was 57 years old.
Walkin’ Jim is widely known throughout the U.S. for his unique combination of long-distance hiking, original songwriting, and photography. Jim was an adventurer, artist, poet, photographer, author, and environmental activist.
In his lifetime, he accomplished numerous long-distance treks including the complete lengths of the Pacific Crest Trail, the Appalachian Trail, an east to west cross-continent hike, the entire U.S. Continental Divide, trips from Yellowstone to the Yukon, and many others. In total, he hiked over 28,000 miles of long-distance trips. When not on a long trip, Walkin’ Jim could be found on any of the many trails in southwest Montana for a day hike with family and friends. He was also an avid cross-country skier. Jim also enjoyed wilderness travels by canoe. Between trips, Jim would create, produce and perform original shows of his travels with photography and music, always incorporating his keen sense of environmental awareness and justice for all things wild. His musical, hiking, and environmental career spanned 45 years. Jim was born in Royal Oak, MI, June 8, 1953, to Wilbur and Audra Stoltz. He graduated high school from Royal Oak - Kimball High School. Walkin’ Jim began playing the guitar when he was in the 4th grade. He performed in several bands during the 1970s. He attained his love for the outdoors and hiking beginning with the Boy Scouts. His first long-distance hike was on the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in 1973. The following year, Jim began his Ocean to Ocean walk beginning in West Quodyhead, ME, and ending on the Olympic Pennisula, WA. The entire trip followed dirt roads, railroad tracks, and trails.
Jim’s first recording was “Spirit is Still on the Run,” in 1986. He also recorded, “Forever Wild,” “Listen to the Earth,” “The Long Trails,” and many others. Walkin’ Jim produced over eight musical albums and one music video for children, “Come Walk With Me.” Jim was an accomplished poet. His poetry was published as, “Whisper Behind the Wind.” Walkin’ Jim wrote a book, “Walking with the Wild Wind: Reflections on a Montana Journey,” highlighting his inspirational travels and wilderness philosophy. A few year’s ago, Jim discovered his talent for painting. He developed an extensive array of work in oils specializing in interpretive environmental themes. He liked to work in the medium of oil-based cattle markers on canvas. Many of his paintings reflected themes from his songs and poetry.
Walkin’ Jim founded Music United to Sustain the Environment (MUSE) with Craig Wagner, and Joyce Rouse. MUSE is a group of professional touring musicians who are concerned about the health of our planet. Many of them draw their inspiration from the land, and feel the need to give something back toward protecting it. Walkin’ Jim stood at the forefront of many environmental causes throughout the U.S. Jim helped with the planning and design of several trails throughout the American Southwest. A short segment of U.S. Forest Service trail in northern Arizona was recently created and named the Walkin’ Jim Trail.
To spread his love of people and song, Jim was employed for nearly 30 winter seasons at Lone Mountain Ranch, Big Sky, MT, driving horse-drawn sleighs to festive dinners where he performed his extensive repertoire of music. Jim’s life is richly entwined by a web of countless dear friends, including thousands of children throughout the country who have learned and loved his stories and songs. Walkin’ Jim is survived by his true friend Leslie Stoltz, Big Sky, MT, brother Mark Stoltz, Honor, MI, and sister’s Susan Grace Stoltz, of Fairbanks, AK, and Lisa Mohr, Wixom, MI, and many nieces and nephews.
Jim’s life work and dreams centered on his desire to share the beauty, the unique character, the mood, and the value of wilderness through his music, writings, art, and activism. He leaves a special and enduring legacy to his family, friends, and enumerable list of fans. A legacy directing all of us to live lives of happiness while sharing in and protecting all things wild.
A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, September 8, 4:00 p.m., at Last Chance Ranch, 2884 Grizzly Gulch, Helena, MT. Directions for contributions will be determined in the near future. Updated information will be available soon at www.walkinjim.com. Arrangements are under the care of Retz Funeral Home. To offer a condolence to the family or to share a memory of Jim, please visit www.retzfuneralhome.com.

SawnieRobertson
09-07-2010, 18:10
After the whallop to the gut, reading the oh-so-sad news, thoughts of what he would have suffered in his remaining days tell me that he was without question spared and blessed as he should be. His way of sharing with us that his time was getting very near was by telling us that it looked as though the rest of his life would be spent on chemo--well, I cannot imagine how hard that would have been on him as well as on those who were actually with him, supporting him.

Those who have described him as "gracious" really hit the nail on the head really got it. I seldom feel this way or even use this phrase, but RIP, Jim.--Kinnickinic

fiddlehead
09-10-2010, 06:47
I just got the news and it makes me very sad.
RIP Jim.
You are an inspiration to us all!

Red Wolf
09-10-2010, 14:16
:sun Just received this today from "Ragar", a hiker friend in Maine and thought I'd pass it along (see attachment) :

Red Wolf
09-15-2010, 12:07
:sun Here's a "Tribute to Walk'in Jim Stotlz " I thought to pass along to you. ~ Red Wolf

warren doyle
09-15-2010, 13:50
A great light has been extinguished. I will never forget his brightness and the depth/width of his illumination.

Dkeener
09-17-2010, 17:43
He will be missed greatly.