PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiking with a dog?

Tiger Ninja
09-06-2010, 10:55
I am planning on thru hiking starting in march, and would love to bring my dog.I think it would be a great experince. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to make it easier on my dog, or any problems that can occur with other hikers. Also if anyone who also has a dog, would be interested in hiking together, please pm me.

IronGutsTommy
09-06-2010, 12:26
Tiger, theres a Dogs on the trail ection devoted to all things dog hiker related. tthought u might find it useful

shelterbuilder
09-06-2010, 20:52
You don't mention what kind of dog, how old, how used to hiking long distances day after day it is - these are all factors that need to be considered BEFORE you get to the trailhead.

When you hike with a dog, it ceases to be your hike and becomes "the dog's hike" - you will need to cut down your mileage to match the dog's, you will constantly have to monitor the dog's feet, food and water intake, general condition, etc., in order to NOT injure the dog. Will the dog carry it's own food and pack, or will you do that? Are you prepared to keep the dog under ABSOLUTE physical control at all times? What will you do if the dog encounters a skunk, a poisonous snake, or some other wild animal that decides to put up a fight instead of running away? If you drop down into a town for re-supply, for an AUCE, for a motel room, or for a mail drop - what will you do with the dog when it is denied access to certain establishments? Will you be prepared to tent at a shelter when the other folks who are there for the night don't want a smelly, noisy, wet dog all over the floor and all over THEIR stuff? In addition, there are several sections of the trail where dogs are simply not permitted, and will have to be boarded locally until you pass through these areas.

These are just some things to think about. I have dogs, and I've taken some (not all!) of my dogs on weekend trips and section hikes. It requires constant vigilence to safeguard the dog and to keep the other hikers "happy to see a well-behaved dog" (and some will never be happy about it). It will change your hike completely, which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing -- it just is what it is.

To paraphrase the old scuba diver's adage: "Plan your hike - hike your plan".

Lone Wolf
09-06-2010, 21:03
I am planning on thru hiking starting in march, and would love to bring my dog.I think it would be a great experince. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to make it easier on my dog, or any problems that can occur with other hikers. Also if anyone who also has a dog, would be interested in hiking together, please pm me.

totally a bad idea to hike with a dog

4eyedbuzzard
09-06-2010, 21:18
Have you asked your dog yet?
Remember, you are the one who wants to thru-hike. Your dog would likely be just as happy hanging out and going on shorter hikes with you. A 2000 mile hike is tougher on a dog than it is on you. Have a plan and be prepared to send the dog home if needed. There are sharp rocks everywhere, the potential for falls, ladders to climb in some places, cow stiles to cross, streams to ford, porcpines, skunks, bears, other dogs, and of course lots of ticks. There are also several sections of the trail where dogs are strictly prohibited - and it is enforced. GSMNP and Baxter St. Park in Maine come to mind immediately.

topshelf
09-06-2010, 21:36
remember you will have to watch over this dog your ENTIRE trip, it will be with you everywhere you go. I take mine every time I do a day hike, but will never take her on an overnighter or a thru.

If you want to go into a grocery store or post office it will be left outside, if you check into a hostel it must come in too. Think about how many places pets are not allowed that you will need to go into(including on the trail), and how you will have to carry it's food and such, just extra weight.

If it slips and hurts itself you will have to carry it, and yes TICKS...

I'd love to do it too, just a really bad idea

Lone Wolf
09-06-2010, 21:38
redeye speaks the truth

ChinMusic
09-06-2010, 21:49
I take my dog on almost all my day hikes. I take him with me on most weekend/week-long trips, where dogs are allowed. As best I can tell he loves it, but no, he can't talk. He does get excited when he sees me dragging stuff out of the gear room.

I wouldn't worry about ticks too much. If you do the Frontline treatment the ticks will die on your dog quickly. I once found FIFTY ticks, all dead or dying, on him after ONE evening. I had slept in the tent WITH him and had ZERO ticks on me. Mugsy got the trail name Tick Magnet after that trip.

Knowing what I know about what it takes to care for a dog on the trail I would NEVER consider taking him on a thru. The logistics of resupply, hostels, restaurants, shelters, etc, etc, etc, is daunting.

stonedflea
09-06-2010, 22:29
i love how all the responses to a post on the women's forum are made by men. =P

that being said, i've read plenty of responses on the dog board of people who have hiked with dogs. head over that way and you can get a decent idea of issues that people have had.

only you are capable of knowing whether your dog will be able to make a hike or enjoy a hike. do all dogs love riding in a car? no. but my dogs wag their tails and get excited when i grab my truck keys. it's just like chin said. you'll be able to tell if your dog is enjoying itself. i would only take your dog if you know your dog can do it and wants to do it.

i know my dogs and i know that they love being with me and they love being outdoors.

i don't know about you, but i've not thru-hiked before. therefore, if i decide to take my dogs with me, i won't know a hill of beans' worth of difference between the two hikes (w/dog vs. w/o dog). granted, i will not set foot on the trail without doing at least a weekend's worth of hiking with my dogs in tow to see what 2,100 miles would be like.

yes, you might have to make some sacrifices to take your dog with you, but you'll also have to make some sacrifices to leave your dogs behind.

only you know which option will be best in the end. =) they all have their pros and cons.

all of this is, of course, assuming you're a kick ass dog owner and will take care of your pup 150%, checking his pads routinely and giving him plenty of water and making sure he's not overheating and that he's getting enough food. and, of course, that he's not being a nuisance to anyone else (because as you can probably tell from the replies that you've received, there are plenty of people who think dogs don't belong on the trails).

ChinMusic
09-06-2010, 22:51
i love how all the responses to a post on the women's forum are made by men. =P
I didn't see the word "bra" of "panties", so I didn't notice.

IronGutsTommy
09-07-2010, 00:37
plus it doesnt say its only for women, just that its about womens issues. a man can help with some topics.. now if a man gives advice on the best bra to wear, thats a different story lol

stonedflea
09-07-2010, 06:42
now if a man gives advice on the best bra to wear, thats a different story lol
lol.. one of the gals on the female forum actually voted to let guys post on the bra discussion based on the grounds that "guys have boobies in all shapes & sizes" haha =)

JaxAJ
09-07-2010, 10:46
lol.. one of the gals on the female forum actually voted to let guys post on the bra discussion based on the grounds that "guys have boobies in all shapes & sizes" haha =)

It's true. I've seen some rather large men who, if not capable of giving advice about bras, could certainly stand to hear some good advice about them.

Regarding dogs, though... It kind of depends on your dog. I was stupid and tried a week with my newfoundland once a few years ago. She's a very big puppy (122lbs) and ate according to her activity level... Which meant that I ended up carrying 15lbs extra at the start, even though her pack was full of food too, and she still lost about 3lbs by the end. And that was with the best food money could buy.

In the end, I was too tired to keep her from running into every lake and stream we passed, and too tired to keep her from chasing a porcipine. So, instead of making me feel safer and getting to spend quality time with my dog, I ended up with a miserable, hungry, neosporine covered puppy who wouldn't even come out of her crate for a treat the entire first day we were home. Since then, she and I have agreed that a walk around the neighborhood is more her thing.

But if you've got a dog breed that is often used for long-distance hauling, like a husky, and you are willing to spend more on food for your dog than yourself, you're willing to carry dog botties, and you do not have a dog that outweighs you and can get away if it sees something interesting, it might be possible. And if you can get past that sprint-sniff-sprint-sniff-sprint-take a nap routine... Maybe that's just my puppy, though.

Tiger Ninja
09-07-2010, 12:38
Thanks for everyone who responded, I know it will be harder, and potentially
it could ruin my plan to thru hike. I guess it sounds nicer to be able to hike with your dog. =) Also I dont know if I should be concerned that all men have responded to my post, in a female section...

4eyedbuzzard
09-07-2010, 12:55
Thanks for everyone who responded, I know it will be harder, and potentially
it could ruin my plan to thru hike. I guess it sounds nicer to be able to hike with your dog. =) Also I dont know if I should be concerned that all men have responded to my post, in a female section...
I guess people figure hiking with a dog isn't really exclusively a women's hiking issue. Do women care for a dog differently than men?

But in defense of those who posted, most are really concerned about dogs. BTW, stonedflea is a woman, and it's unlikely you'll find a man more in touch with his sensitive feminine side than Lone Wolf :D :banana

ChinMusic
09-07-2010, 13:54
Also I dont know if I should be concerned that all men have responded to my post, in a female section...
Many, including me, have all new posts come up on a list. I rarely know what forum a thread has originated in. I had no idea your OP was in the female forum.

I guess the red border should have been my hint.

JaxAJ
09-07-2010, 15:57
I'm pretty sure I'm a girl... Everyone tells me to take my dog with me on hikes for protection, but, as I mentioned above, that didn't work out so well. I've also been told to take firearms, pepper spray, a friend, or my husband (presuming the big baby could make it over 2 miles without whining this time).

The only place a male or female response might differ is in terms of weight. I had a lot of trouble carrying extra food for my dog, both because I'm 115lbs and because my dog's bigger than me and needs a lot of food. And if my dog had been hurt worse than she was, I would not have been able to get her out easily. (Could probably drag her on a thermarest, but it'd be slow.)

I don't feel like I need much of anything, including my dog, for protection in the woods. It's the million other people in my city that make me nervous.

kanga
09-07-2010, 16:25
I'm pretty sure I'm a girl...

how sure are you?... just kidding!:D

(Could probably drag her on a thermarest, but it'd be slow.)

this is a GREAT idea! i carried my blue heeler out one time and law, i wish i'd thought about that!

shelterbuilder
09-07-2010, 22:03
... (Could probably drag her on a thermarest, but it'd be slow.)....

Actually, while the Thermarest would be a good cushion for the dog, it might not hold up to being dragged across the ground for very long. Now, a "drag cloth" made of, say, ballistic nylon (with a sleeve up front for a stick or a dowel and some cordage tied to the ends of the stick to drag the whole contraption) might hold up longer...would fold up flat, weigh next to nothing, and could even do double-duty as the dog's sleeping mat (which could get the dog accustomed to being on the cloth before you'd need to use it).

Pretty clever for a guy, huh? :D

topshelf
09-07-2010, 22:06
I just look at the posts from today, didnt pay much attention to the border either, didn't know it meant a female forum

rhjanes
09-07-2010, 22:15
Cowgirl on TrailJournals started with her dog.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=295659

IronGutsTommy
09-08-2010, 00:47
a couple other things to consider when thinking of thru hiking with a dog, according to the ALDHA..regulations require that dogs be kept on leashes on national park lands, which comprise 40 percent of the trail, and dogs are PROHIBITED in the great smokey mountains national park, the zoo area of the bear mountain state park, and baxter state park. yes, baxter state park is the location of katahdin, the northern terminus of the trail, which means u cannot actually complete the trail with your dog. they offer info on kennels for such areas, but you might be better off doing your first thru without your pup. as stated before, he or she might like day or section hiking with you alot more than a 6 month trek with intermittent kennel stays. just something to consider. if you still want to bring the dog along, make sure to have a tag on him, up to date rabies vaccination papers, and keep in mind dogs must have a kennel cough vaccine to stay at a kennel

Tiger Ninja
09-09-2010, 01:17
I'm not worried about the weight of the dog food. I went hiking for a month wearing a pack everyday that weighed 60 pounds, that was half of my weight!

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 01:29
Just be prepared (as in have a plan) to send your dog home or to someone who can take care of it if the dog gets injured or doesn't turn out to like hiking day after day as much as you do. I'm not saying don't bring your dog and try, just don't wind up forcing the dog along when it's had enough.

I don't mean to offend you or suggest you won't care for your dog - I just worry about dogs. Remember, they tend to push on just to please their masters long after they've had enough.

IronGutsTommy
09-09-2010, 02:11
some larger breeds are prone to hip problems as well, and ure right buzz, they will soldier on to please their masters even if it cripples em

JaxAJ
09-09-2010, 10:29
I think breed has a lot to do with it, esspecially with hip issues. My newfie tends to have her hind feet slip out from under her when the pain in her joints gets bad--but she's a working breed, bred for hauling in fishing nets and pulling 3 times her weight in a wagon.

A husky, an elk hound, bear hound, or shepard can phsyically hold up to long distances better. They also seem to enjoy covering long distances more. With a hunting breed, my only concern (other than high quality food) would be keeping them leashed so they don't take off after every furry thing they see.

Although, your determination will influence how things go, too. A friend of mine took her pug on all of her weekend/week long trips, carrying the pug the whole way, and she managed just fine.

ChinMusic
09-09-2010, 10:44
At the risk of re-posting in the female forum, I have a 30-lb Cockapoo that does great on the trail. He's like a jeep.