PDA

View Full Version : Good place in Salisbury, CT

Bill Strickland
11-27-2004, 00:24
A good place to stay in Salisbury is the private residence of Maria McCabe, a widow who loves hikers and puts them up and takes them to the next town to a good laundry and grocery store. She really is a nice lady ! She does not want mail drops, however, but it's only a short walk to the PO. Her tel. number is 860 435 0593, it's listed in Wingfoot's book.

TakeABreak
11-27-2004, 17:59
Bill, Has the lady in Salisbury or anyone else informed ALDHA or the ATC, to let them know, this would be good information to have in the next companion or the online updates available throught he ATC.

Bill Strickland
11-27-2004, 19:11
As far as I know, she is not listed in the AT guide, I found her in Wingfoot's book from '03 and '04. She sure was nice to me! Should I notify someone at ATC? Jakebrake

TakeABreak
11-27-2004, 22:25
Bill, I Would notify information services at the ATC, they have an update link to the Companion Guide, that will list it on after they contact the person to verify all of the information like name, address, cross streets, distance from trail, email, phone etc, etc, ( that is just to make that all of the data is correct, they do it for all new listings), they will then forward the information to ALDHA whom officially publishes the Companion Guide.

I volunteered there for two in 2000, they are a really great bunch of people and ask that whenever a hikers becomes aware of any information (like changes in the companion guide) that will assist others, that you just drop them a note in the mail or an email.

The email address for update information is [email protected]

rafe
06-29-2005, 23:43
A good place to stay in Salisbury is the private residence of Maria McCabe, a widow who loves hikers and puts them up and takes them to the next town to a good laundry and grocery store. She really is a nice lady ! She does not want mail drops, however, but it's only a short walk to the PO. Her tel. number is 860 435 0593, it's listed in Wingfoot's book.

I stayed at Maria's place just a few days ago. Saturday, to be precise. And I believe she is already mentioned in the ALDHA guide (I got my pages online.)

She's a wonderful, kind woman. A true Trail Angel. Needs a louder doorbell, though.

A weird thing happened during my stay. After hanging out at Maria's much of the day, I announced that I was heading for dinner at the White Hart. A bit late, around 9 PM. Maria said no problem, she'd leave the back door open, showed me how to lock it, turn off the lights, etc. I bade her farewell (as I was off to a dawn departure) and had my dinner at the White Hart.

Returning after dinner, the back door was locked. Hmm. Knocked on the door, no answer. Rang the bell, no answer. The knocks got more insistent, but Maria didn't show.

Sprinted back to the White Hart, from where I phoned Maria and told her I'd been trying to get in. Sprinted back to Maria's, the door was open.

Got a good early start and did fifteen very hot miles the next day.

Heater
06-30-2005, 01:43
JMO... but, it prolly isn't a good idea to post a person's name and tel # on the internet... no matter how well intended.:-?

TakeABreak
06-30-2005, 08:32
Good point, and by the way she get listed in the 2005 Companion.

big brother
02-14-2008, 01:13
i stayed at maria's this last summer. as stated, she is a kind old lady, and i enjoyed my stay. i talked to her at christmas, and she asked me to post a thank you to anyone who sent her a card or gift. she had been sick and could not reply to the mail she had received. so, from maria, thanks for all the cards and other mail. (she is doing better now.)

warraghiyagey
02-14-2008, 01:34
Have a SOBO firend who stayed with Maria twice. He speaks lovingly about her. I also gathered from his stories that she may not necessarily be yearning for the large throngs that some of the kindly AT folk provide for. That she loves what she does but may be more comfortable as a not so well known/discreet entity.;):sun

Simba
07-24-2010, 22:56
Maria is a wonderful individual. I was at her lovely home last night and today awaiting a ride home for a break; she treated me as well as my late grandmother's would have. When I saw her, at first, I thought she was only 70; very energetic woman with a passion to help hikers. If she wasn't talking to one of us she was looking through all the cards and albums of hikers past. It is busy for such a person, so respect is of utter importance. People need to understand their not just "crashing" at a hostile off the trail, but staying at an individual's home who loves to help hikers. Concerning this old post about using her name, well...if you all look real real hard in the companion (pg. 183) it gives her name FIRST over Vanessa Breton's name and gives home phone number and address; sure helped me find the house. And a lovely house it is to be in for a night or thrice. I can sincerely say Maria is a wise ass with a heart of gold who one can only love and cherish. I promised her I will be back to visit her and will definitely bring her a new laundry basket :D.

Simba

Tinker
07-25-2010, 00:18
Maria is a firecracker and a wise cracker :D. I stopped by and paid her a visit last year. She "made" me eat breakfast :D. You must cook your own food since she would need a license and inspections if she were to run the place as a bed and breakfast. Abide by her rules (no shoes in the living quarters, clean up your dishes, etc.) and you'll find that you've met one of the most wonderful people on the planet - Btw: she has limited space, so call well ahead.

Nean
07-25-2010, 05:34
I stayed at Maria's place just a few days ago. Saturday, to be precise. And I believe she is already mentioned in the ALDHA guide (I got my pages online.)

She's a wonderful, kind woman. A true Trail Angel. Needs a louder doorbell, though.

A weird thing happened during my stay. After hanging out at Maria's much of the day, I announced that I was heading for dinner at the White Hart. A bit late, around 9 PM. Maria said no problem, she'd leave the back door open, showed me how to lock it, turn off the lights, etc. I bade her farewell (as I was off to a dawn departure) and had my dinner at the White Hart.

Returning after dinner, the back door was locked. Hmm. Knocked on the door, no answer. Rang the bell, no answer. The knocks got more insistent, but Maria didn't show.

Sprinted back to the White Hart, from where I phoned Maria and told her I'd been trying to get in. Sprinted back to Maria's, the door was open.

Got a good early start and did fifteen very hot miles the next day.

tt,
its "wierd" you would relate such an insignificant story. Shes 80+ years old, ok? I love the woman and will F u up!!:D:D:D:D;)

modiyooch
07-25-2010, 07:45
Mamma Maria. I saw more wildlife in her backyard than the state of CT. Yes, she is listed in the companion and is a hoot. She is a lovely woman and has a very comfortable bed. So comfortable, I had to stay two nights in a row.