PDA

View Full Version : anyone hike the art loeb trail?

coastalhiker
09-06-2010, 15:15
looking to take my twins on a backpacking trip on the art loeb, starting at the southern Davidson River end and ending up at the Boy Scout camp. Can anyone here give me any info on getting from the end to the start (shuttles available?), and what kind of weather i might expect up there in October and/or November? thanks much...

Reid
09-06-2010, 16:41
October is a great time to go. It can and will get cold quick just like anywhere else. Your talking about hiking the whole thing I guess?

Reid
09-06-2010, 16:45
It's not hard to get back and forth directions wise but shuttles you may have to track something down but I'm sure that's doable too. You may try hiking the opposite way too as it will be easier. I use to camp on balds but I prefer to get down in the cut somewhere and get all the natural protection I can find. Art Loeb is one of the most overlooked trails there is. I guess cause it's so short.

coastalhiker
09-07-2010, 07:41
Yes, we would like to do the whole 30 miles. I figured with the elevation it would get cold, just wondered if we were talking waking up to 3 feet of snow! thanks for the advice about north to south...do you know anything about water availability? i have heard it can be dry in October....thanks...

Marta
09-07-2010, 21:42
It's a lovely trail. Probably the main logistical challenge is the water--there are not that many water sources along the way. We brought extra carrying capacity and were just fine.

winger
09-08-2010, 10:12
I went South to North, and be sure to fill up H20 containers whenever you can as there are areas that it can be difficult to locate other than at the shelters. Should be beautiful scenery during October. North to South would be preferable if you are planning on youngsters being with you, as some of the climbs going the other way could be challenging for little ones. Have fun.

Puppy
09-08-2010, 13:39
Info on Art Loeb shuttle, water, etc....

http://www.pvadventures.com/transportation/index.html

The Solemates
09-08-2010, 15:29
perfect weather - thats what kind. im jealous.

Johnny Thunder
09-08-2010, 20:31
Well then...I'd also echo that you would be better starting at the scout camp and finishing at davidson...both for ease of hiking and for water logistics.

i hiked it this past spring (the rainy season) and had to carry water from north of the balds all the way to the first shelter. something like 10 miles and a dry camp in-between. And that was mostly downhill. i wouldn't want to do it the other way (i.e. climbing up almost 2k ft to dry camp with 10 miles to go). i mean, you can do that if you want to but why?

also, i found the stretch south of the parkway to be forgettable. if you're looking to spend as much time up high and in the open i'd recommend hiking south from the camp...hanging a right onto the mst...then hanging another right onto the green ridge (or green knob trail. it might not be marked). there's sweet camping on both sides of green knob. but if you do this make sure you go up from the scout camp and not the other way.

tucker0104
09-15-2010, 00:33
The wilderness area can get confusing. The trails are not marked.

coastalhiker
09-15-2010, 12:09
Thanks to all of you for your input, not sure if we are going to make it in October, "Hurricane" Earl screwed up our long weekend, and now school is in session on those days we were going to take off.....we could try a shorter trip in November, but i imagine its even colder then! might have to wait til April.

tucker0104
09-17-2010, 18:52
I recommend staying on top of black balsam knob. Cold but beautiful

Adayak
09-18-2010, 17:47
I've been thinking about the Art Loeb, but I don't think you can have camp fires up on the balds ... and this time of year you might really need a fire, not only for food but warmth.

Are there any other trails in Pisgah similar to Art Loeb that allow camp fires?

tucker0104
09-18-2010, 19:18
I had my stove going up there. Plenty of spots where the grass is low and very minimal chance of a fire spreading. I wouldn't make a camp fire but stoves should be fine.

chelko
09-21-2010, 12:07
Fires are not allowed only in the shinning rock wilderness area of the Art Loeb this is from Ivester Gap to Camp Daniel Boone only about 12 miles or so. I have seen people up ther in the winter November and December with fires and even saw a US Forest Service Ranger write a guy a ticket for his fire. It was $75.00 he felt it was worth it.

sevensixtwo187
09-21-2010, 12:35
We have been planing to make the hike from Black Balsam to Cold Mountain during the second week of October. I have allotted 4-5 days to do it and I feel that should be plenty. I am concerned about water so i was wondering if this route was the dry section or if it was after Black Balsam? :-?