PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Virginia

Nazarene
09-06-2010, 15:57
Hello! I've done a search for this, but didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for so I'll just try a new thread.

I've never set foot on the AT, but am looking to head down with a few friends early in October for a 3 day trek. We live in Indiana, so I figure the closest spot for us to drive to would be somewhere in Southwest Virginia in the Blacksburg/Roanoke areas. I used to live in Blacksburg, but not long enough to make it to the Trail.
What do Veteran hikers suggest is the best little stretch in VA? I'm looking for advice on scenic areas, places where parking is easy/easy to find, places where we may be able to commute back to our parking space, good camp sites (planning on sleeping on tarpes under the stars), just good advice on the area in general. This is my first post, so any info will be helpful. Thanks!!!!

Lone Wolf
09-06-2010, 16:22
Damascus to VA 603. 40 miles

Roughin' It
09-06-2010, 16:26
I dont have my guidebook on me for the mileages, but IMO the best stretch of Virginia is indeed around the Roanoke area. There are 3 amazing vistas that are all close together; Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob, and Tinker Cliffs. If i recall, I went up and over Dragon's Tooth, slept at a shelter one mile before McAfee's Knob, woke up to hike up M.N. for sunrise, and finished the day seeing Tinker Cliffs, and went into Daleville.
Those 2 days for me were somewhere around 30+ miles, but for a 3 day trip that could make it three 10+ mile days, hitting each vista per day. Hope that wasn't too confusing. And It shouldn't be too hard to get a ride back from Daleville to wherever it is you may park.

Deerleg
09-06-2010, 16:53
I dont have my guidebook on me for the mileages, but IMO the best stretch of Virginia is indeed around the Roanoke area. There are 3 amazing vistas that are all close together; Dragon's Tooth, McAfee's Knob, and Tinker Cliffs. If i recall, I went up and over Dragon's Tooth, slept at a shelter one mile before McAfee's Knob, woke up to hike up M.N. for sunrise, and finished the day seeing Tinker Cliffs, and went into Daleville.
Those 2 days for me were somewhere around 30+ miles, but for a 3 day trip that could make it three 10+ mile days, hitting each vista per day. Hope that wasn't too confusing. And It shouldn't be too hard to get a ride back from Daleville to wherever it is you may park.

Triple crown!
One option would be to drive to Daleville (close to Roanoke and Blacksburg ) and park at the commuter lot at I81 and Rt220 get a shuttle south( AT shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%208-17-10.pdf) )(or park your other car) on St Rt 620 and hike back to Daleville...easy 3 day hike and some of the BEST of VA!
Welcome to WB

topshelf
09-06-2010, 19:38
I would say Damascus to Highway 16 at the Mount Rogers Headquarters, but anywhere from Damascus north past Grayson HIghlands, but anywhere in Virginia when the leaves are changing colors is great.

Wild Type
09-07-2010, 09:48
Lonewolf has it right. Nothing finer than the Mt. Rogers area of VA. Unfortunately, you will miss the blueberries. Need to hit the highlands by mid-August for those; worth a second trip next August.

Nazarene
09-07-2010, 11:41
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I would love to go and hike Mt. Rogers someday, but I think we decided that as far as time and ease of getting in and out, we are going to go with Mcafee's Knob.
Let me know if you think this is a good idea:
Our plan as of right now is to drive down to VA 331 (a parking spot we found on the map on the Appalachian Conservancy website) trying to shuttle over to the Daleville area, and then hiking back to VA 331 and leaving. We've looked at a few maps and can't really decide if it's 20 or 30 miles. It was written on this thread that Daleville to Dragon's Tooth is 30, but it looked like more on the map.
Any comments????

fredmugs
09-07-2010, 11:46

What he said. I did this stretch two Octobers ago and it is still by far my favorite hike.

For mileage and other info check this out:

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Deerleg
09-07-2010, 13:05
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! I would love to go and hike Mt. Rogers someday, but I think we decided that as far as time and ease of getting in and out, we are going to go with Mcafee's Knob.
Let me know if you think this is a good idea:
Our plan as of right now is to drive down to VA 331 (a parking spot we found on the map on the Appalachian Conservancy website) trying to shuttle over to the Daleville area, and then hiking back to VA 331 and leaving. We've looked at a few maps and can't really decide if it's 20 or 30 miles. It was written on this thread that Daleville to Dragon's Tooth is 30, but it looked like more on the map.
Any comments????

My book says 19.8 from 331 to Rt220 Daleville...to add Dragons Tooth you would have to start or finish at VA620 and the total miles from there would be 33.6....sounds like you have a good plan though. One suggestion would be to contact your shuttle service and get their advice on whether to park in Daleville or at your 331 trailhead.

Rain Man
09-07-2010, 14:22
I haven't done all of Virginia ... yet, but it seems hard to go wrong anywhere in the state.

You might contact both the ATC and the local hiking club for whatever section you choose to do. Ask them for current conditions (nothing like finding out about a shelter being torn down or a new one built, or a trail re-route or a bridge out, or other problem), for the first time as you come upon it in the woods). They are "the horse's mouth" that you want to go to. Also ask about hunting season! Definitely wear plenty of blaze orange in that event.

Have a great hike.

Rain:sunMan

J5man
09-07-2010, 14:32

This would be a great outing excellent itineray for a 3 day trip. When you get to Daleville, treat yourself to a Blue Collar Joe's donut. Or if you did this backwards, you could end up eating at the Homeplace if it is a Thursday or later. Either way, great trip.

Nazarene
09-08-2010, 18:35
We decided to do it backwards, so that we can finish more with Mcafee's Knob, instead of seeing it quickly, and then not having a great site to look forward to.
How available is water on this stretch? How much should we take with us?