PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shoes vs Boots...thinking about going with

nawlunz
09-06-2010, 19:53
hiking shoes for the JMT thru hike, and want to reduce weight....has anybody ever worn the Merrell hiking shoe? In particular, looking at the Men's Pantheon Waterproof Hiking Shoe.....specs look good, but looking for an honest opinion on performance and satisfaction.

Del Q
09-06-2010, 21:01
My personal experience with Merrell's, feel great, break in easily, AT chews them up! Not tough enough.

topshelf
09-06-2010, 21:14
Agreed on the durability, ive never had a pair of merrell's last more than 150-200 miles, and I felt like that was stretching their lifetime. I will never buy another pair of merrell's because of it.

Look at any pair of trail running shoes. I personally enjoy any new balance or ASICS shoes with a superfeet insole.

nawlunz
09-06-2010, 21:23
Agreed on the durability, ive never had a pair of merrell's last more than 150-200 miles, and I felt like that was stretching their lifetime. I will never buy another pair of merrell's because of it.

Look at any pair of trail running shoes. I personally enjoy any new balance or ASICS shoes with a superfeet insole.

running shoes are more durable? I know I will have a lock of rock lined trails on the JMT...durability will be important.

topshelf
09-06-2010, 21:28
From my experiences the running shoes have a harder bottom tread with more grip. The merrell hiking boots have a softer rubber bottom in my opinion. Someone else can weigh in with their opinion. This is just my experience as a trail runner and hiker.

300winmag
09-10-2010, 23:46
YIKES!!!
I just purchased TWO pair of Merrill Moabs, one a low cut "Ventilator", the other teh Moab Mid GTX lined boot.

I hope to he!! that my pairs each last a lot longer than a couple hundred miles.

Eric

leaftye
09-11-2010, 00:39
The Merrell's I always here about from thru hikers are...
Ventilator
Moab

You may also want to take a look at the Inov-8 Terroc 330. It should hold up and it has a wider footbed.

I will admit that I haven't tried any of these shoes, although I do currently use and am happy with Inov-8.

Oh, and neither are waterproof, but I don't see the point if you're going during normal thru hiker season.

Jester2000
09-11-2010, 03:14
Regardless of what brand you end up going with, I definitely recommend a trail runner type shoe over a boot.

JAK
09-11-2010, 06:19
I should think that hot weather and hard surfaces really take a toll on soft rubber, as it does with winter tires. Still, 200 miles, that sucks. I wonder if you can treat then with something like pine tar, or shoe goo. I wonder if thinned shellac might penetrate in some, without leaving too hard a surface. Gotta be a way to toughen the rubber. I wonder if you could vulcanize them some how.

JAK
09-11-2010, 06:35
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization

Maybe experiment with cheap shoes and a microwave oven.

Sierra Echo
09-11-2010, 06:53
My feet and I HATE merrills!

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 14:53
running shoes are more durable? I know I will have a lock of rock lined trails on the JMT...durability will be important.

Even with the flimsiest trail runners I've worn I've never had a pair of shoes totally wear out in such a short time as the JMT normally requires.

Look for increased protection underfoot from sharp rocks in the form of a thicker sole in whatever kind of shoe you finally decide upon for the JMT. Might want some added ankle protection too, especially if you have weak or untoughened hiking feet, muscles, ligaments, joints, etc.

Luddite
09-13-2010, 15:01
Both pairs of Merrells I've owned have fallen apart way too quick. The stitching always fails around that piece of rubber that goes over the toes. I bought a cheap pair of Hi-Tecs and they are just as good.

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 15:08
I have been debating this myself. I am not an extended long trip backpacker, usually only limiting my trips to a couple nights. As this is unfortunate, it is all that my schedule will allow me to do. How ever. I still feel that a good solid pair of beat in boots, has always been easier on my ankles than a pair of "Gortex" shoes. They say gortex on the side, but my feet have always gotten wet in the so called water proof shoes. My view is this = Full leater, gortex bootie boots. Have never failed me in snow, rain, mud, etc. And then retire to crocks once at camp.

sbhikes
09-13-2010, 15:41
Wow, so much hate for the Merrells. Lots of PCT hikers wear those and the PCT is the JMT (mostly) for that portion. I would think they'd work great. I just did an 80 mile section along the JMT in Chaco sandals and those worked great.

sbhikes
09-13-2010, 15:43
Oh, and one more thing. You didn't say when you were doing the JMT, but if you were planning on an early summer trek, you'd have very wet feet all the time. Running shoes would probably be more comfortable than boots. The trail is a river of snowmelt. Mid to late summer and fall the trail is a dust-bowl.

skinewmexico
09-13-2010, 17:27
I think Salomon trial runners are great. Or Vasque. Hate waterproof shoes though, they never dry.

Cherokee Bill
09-14-2010, 18:31
:-? Danner Mountain Lite II, best boot there is!;)