PDA

View Full Version : Waynesboro, VA

sharky
09-06-2010, 23:37
I'm doing a sobo of Shenandoah NP and plan on finishing up in Waynesboro. Has anyone ever stayed there? I've heard bad things about the Inn @ Afton.

I'm planning on walking back to my car at the Quality Inn and spending a day or two in town. All I require is a town that has a good burger, good beer and a clean place to sleep.

Waynesboro
09-07-2010, 13:16
I'm doing a sobo of Shenandoah NP and plan on finishing up in Waynesboro. Has anyone ever stayed there? I've heard bad things about the Inn @ Afton.

I'm planning on walking back to my car at the Quality Inn and spending a day or two in town. All I require is a town that has a good burger, good beer and a clean place to sleep.

I've never stayed at the Inn at Afton, but I give hikers rides into Waynesboro and have heard negative comments. All that I can see is their big shredded sign outside to give an indicator of their care for the facility.

The Quality Inn is where most hikers stay during their visits to Waynesboro. For your burger & beer, you have several choices, from Buffalo Wild Wings to Ruby Tuesday to Outback Steak House, most of the chains are here. If you want a more local option, Weasies has burgers, but I don't think they have beer. They do usually have a good crowd of folks who will ask you about your journey.

Greg

wvgrinder
09-09-2010, 10:04

When are you starting? I'm doing a SNP SOBO soon myself. I'll be starting in a couple of weeks-if not less.

Hobbler
09-12-2010, 10:14
Sharky...

If you do stay downtown in Waynesboro...You might want to reconsider your lust for burgers and do the Ming Garden...It is not to be missed! The place is first class with a well done interior. The buffet is all quality food with something for all tastes and I am sure that you will find meets your needs. It is located right behind the Post Office and has 3 large flat screens running sports and news...Oh, and they do serve beer! You can walk there from the Quality Inn and walk around town to settle your full belly before bedding down for the night. I live 10 miles from there and it is one of my favorite places to chow down....and most hikers who have been there will agree!...Hope that this helps!

10-K
09-12-2010, 10:18
How do you spell Afton Inn? D-U-M-P

johnnybgood
09-12-2010, 10:43
I've never stayed there as an overnight guest but I've heard not so appealing comments from those who have.
My impression only goes a far as the front lobby area from the one time I left my truck there for a 3 night hike in SNP.

It sounds like the owners have either run out of cash or have decided to wait out the struggling economy to see what they should do with the Afton Inn .

Pony
09-16-2010, 15:21
I was told the Inn at Afton was closed when I was there in May, not sure if that is true or not. The Quality Inn was accomodating, but be aware that just because your guide book may say there is a hiker rate, they can still charge you whatever they want. Stayed there on a friday night and they charged us $120 because it was a weekend. The Chinese buffet is at the top of my list for chinese buffets. I don't think the church hostel is still open, but they were extremely nice there. Overall I thought Waynesboro was a great town with a lot of people willing to help hikers out.

Rain Man
09-16-2010, 17:27
My wife and I stayed at the Tree Streets Inn last summer, when I finished a section hike at Rockfish Gap. Nice place. We'd go back.
http://www.treestreetsinn.com/

But there are a couple more in town too, if you like B&B's.
http://www.irisinn.com/
http://www.bellehearth.com/

Rain:sunMan

Spokes
09-16-2010, 17:38
Sharky...

If you do stay downtown in Waynesboro...You might want to reconsider your lust for burgers and do the Ming Garden...It is not to be missed! The place is first class with a well done interior. The buffet is all quality food with something for all tastes and I am sure that you will find meets your needs. It is located right behind the Post Office and has 3 large flat screens running sports and news...Oh, and they do serve beer! You can walk there from the Quality Inn and walk around town to settle your full belly before bedding down for the night. I live 10 miles from there and it is one of my favorite places to chow down....and most hikers who have been there will agree!...Hope that this helps!

+1 for Ming Garden!!!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!!