PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Damascus in October

onesocktwin
09-07-2010, 10:07
I'm planning a section from Erwin to Damascus in October. My understanding is that there are no bear cables or privies in this section. My experience has been thus far that rarely are there trees suitable for hanging food. 1) Are bears a threat in this section? 2) Do I need to invest in a bear canister or Ursak? 3) Is it totally irresponsible/dangerous to hang food from the mouse hangers in shelters in this section? Please be kind. :D

Lone Wolf
09-07-2010, 10:09
1. no
2. no
3. no

Tennessee Viking
09-07-2010, 11:04
You will rarely see a bear in this section.

They only reports of bear problems have been around Watauga Lake and the shelter. A lot of locals and fisherman just leave food and trash around the lake, and it has attracted a couple bears. So hang your food high and away from camp here.

There also has been reports of a problem raccoon at Vandeventer Shelter

onesocktwin
09-07-2010, 11:20
Thanks for the info, I'll plan not to cook at Wautauga Lake or Vandeventer Shelters. I always carry 50ft para cord just in case.

bigcranky
09-07-2010, 13:05
What Lone Wolf said. This is a great section, no need to worry about bears.

fehchet
09-07-2010, 14:53
Yes it is a great section going north or (sorry B.J.) south. Last year I got caught in a massive lightening storm and a torrential downpour on my way from the Greasy Creek Friendly to Over Mountain Shelter. Of course we were at altitude during the height of the storm and so I was very glad to renew my close bond with the Lord as I ran along in a crouched position. I was also happy to have clean undies in my pack upon making camp for the night.

Lone Wolf
09-07-2010, 14:57
I'll plan not to cook at Wautauga Lake or Vandeventer Shelters.

that's just silly. bears smell uncooked food too. you really have nothing to worry about

The Solemates
09-07-2010, 17:07
beautiful area of the trail during the best hiking month.

have fun!

JJJ
09-07-2010, 17:55
Did most of that section last year for the first time. I really enjoyed the Roan Highlands but still favor Grayson slightly. I did see a bear cub up near the US 421 crossing. But I wouldn't worry. Good chance water will be low by then. Carry exxttrraa.