PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Out

ChinMusic
09-07-2010, 15:03
When are the leaves typically off the trees between Franklin and the Smokies?

flemdawg1
09-07-2010, 15:27
3rd week of October, usually.

ChinMusic
09-07-2010, 15:39
Thanks. I'm doing an 8-day section and was thinking about a night hike under a full moon. I just checked the moon calendar and will be hitting it just wrong......rats.

Pedaling Fool
09-07-2010, 15:53
I would have guessed a little later than the 3rd week of October, but I've never been there in that time frame, so I really don't know what I'm talking about -- But when has that ever prevented me from throwing in my 2 cents:D

I was near Katahdin around the 2nd week of October and the leaves were still on the trees.

True I don't know if this was an abnormal year and as for the section Chinmusic is asking about much of it is at a higher elevation. So again I don't know but I wanted to show a picture from Maine taken 11 October 2006.

Kerosene
09-07-2010, 16:07
I've hiked just north of the Smokies late in October the past two years. The leaves have turned by then, and may be on the way down, but I'd put most of the leaves falling in the first half of November.

Here's a picture from White Rock Cliffs (just north of Hot Springs) on October 26, 2009:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/imgp7573.jpg

Here's another of Temple Hill outside Erwin on October 31, 2008:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/tn27-temple_hill.jpg

ChinMusic
09-07-2010, 16:22
I figured I was gonna miss the colors, starting on Nov 5. It just turns out the new moon is on Nov 5/6, so no moon-lit hiking.

emerald
09-07-2010, 17:13
Leaf-out usually refers to the time when buds expand, break and leaves unfurl. A better term might be leaf-fall or as botanists may prefer abscission.

Hooch
09-07-2010, 17:17
Leaf-out usually refers to the time when buds expand, break and leaves unfurl. A better term might be leaf-fall or as botanists may prefer abscission.
Thanks for the correction on that, Shades of Gray.

ChinMusic
09-07-2010, 17:19
I can just see myself asking Ron Haven about "abscission". I'd get body slammed........

emerald
09-07-2010, 17:55
Thanks for the correction on that, Shades of Gray.

Maybe I should change my name to Shades of Green or just come back under another name. People bitched when I didn't change my name. Now that I have, people insist upon continuing to use it.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'll refrain from calling you by something other than your screen name.

I can just see myself asking Ron Haven about "abscission". I'd get body slammed........

I wouldn't either. He may think you're bringing up the topic of circumcision.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have better fish to fry.