PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair Gap to Wesser NC

MadHiker56
09-07-2010, 16:39
How is parking at both ends of this hike? How is the hike itself? Planning to do this hike between Oct. 8th and 11th. Any info would be helpful.

Old Hiker
09-07-2010, 16:51
Hike is fine - water was short the last week of July. NOC parking was OK. Can't remember Winding Stair.

jesse
09-07-2010, 16:51
The hike is great. I did it in May. Had my wife drop and p/u. Winding Stair is on the main hwy, so thats always risky. I'm not sure about Wesser. Cal the NOC, I bet you can arrange parking there.

MadHiker56
09-07-2010, 18:36
Thanks for the info guys. What is the NOC? Also, I read on here about wayah bald shelter. Where exactly is it located? I've been looking at Google trailmaps and I haven't seen it. Thanks MH56

Roots
09-07-2010, 18:44
Park at NOC--Nantahala Outdoor Center! It's free and safe...or at least I've never had a problem in the numerous times I have parked there. Wayah Shelter is about a mile north on the AT past The tower on Wayah bald. It's only a couple yrs old so some sources may not have it listed. :)

Marta
09-07-2010, 20:43
If you're spotting cars at both ends, I think they're both safe enough. I've parked at Winding Stair without incident, and usually see other people parked there, too.

If you're only spotting a car at one end, Wesser is safer, and more fun to hike into because you can have some ice cream (or beer, or both) and soak your feet in the river when you're done.

Praha4
09-07-2010, 22:38
parking at NOC is safe. Rather than leaving a car at Winding Stair, call Ronnie Haven at Franklin Motel, he does shuttles to Winding Stair and will let hikers leave their cars at one of his motels in Franklin

jesse
09-07-2010, 23:50
If you're spotting cars at both ends, I think they're both safe enough. I've parked at Winding Stair without incident, and usually see other people parked there, too.

If you're only spotting a car at one end, Wesser is safer, and more fun to hike into because you can have some ice cream (or beer, or both) and soak your feet in the river when you're done.

Oh yes, you can only hold your feet in the river a minute or so, but what a way to bring life back into tired and wore out feet.

Gray Blazer
09-08-2010, 07:55
You will love it!!