PDA

View Full Version : Solar Shower?

Teeycp
09-08-2010, 10:46
Hi, I am planning a June, 2011 hike from above Lehighton down to the Maryland Line. I was thinking seven days but is that accurate? I think younger than I am! I also wondered about facilities along the way with showers or should you use a solar shower?
Thanks

BAG "o" TRICKS
09-08-2010, 12:00
Hi, I am planning a June, 2011 hike from above Lehighton down to the Maryland Line. I was thinking seven days but is that accurate? I think younger than I am! I also wondered about facilities along the way with showers or should you use a solar shower?
Thanks

By Lehighton I assume you mean the Lehigh Gap or Palmerton area. Seven days to Penn-Mar from the Lehigh Gap is really pushing it through the PA rocks, unless you are in 'fantastic' shape. Suggest at least a week and a half maybe two and possibly starting a few more miles north at Delaware Water Gap. Why not do the entire state? Plenty of place to shower along trail, in towns at Palmerton @ Jail House Hostel, Port Clinton @ PC Hotel, Duncannon @ The Doyle Hotel, along with swimming holes on or near trail (creeks & rivers and an old dam 100yards south of trail at Hertlein campsite. There are also solar showers (usually cold unless first to use) at the Eckville and 501 Shelters along with a lake and a pool with showers at Pine Grove Furnace (lake) and Caledonia State Park (pool).

Pedaling Fool
09-08-2010, 12:22
I wouldn't worry about showers, it's all part of hiking. As for solar shower are you talking about those personal shower kits? I've only seen them in the store, but I think those are more for campers than hikers.

Jonnycat
09-08-2010, 13:36
Solar showers are great, but as John said, they are more fore camping than hiking. For end of day cleaning, heat up a couple cups of water, dip your washcloth (I use a microfiber one from the auto parts store), in the water, and scrub your skin.

You don't need soap, and you don't need to do your hair; just a good rinsing with the hot water wilkl remove the salts and such from your skin.

When you are done, wring out your washcloth, and use it as a towel to dry yourself.

flemdawg1
09-08-2010, 13:43
I just use my hydration bladder hanging from a tree branch. You probably won't have enough time to heat the shower thing in the sun, plus you can drink from the bladder also.

Bags4266
09-08-2010, 15:50
I just use my hydration bladder hanging from a tree branch. You probably won't have enough time to heat the shower thing in the sun, plus you can drink from the bladder also.

x2. I modified mine by taking the shower nozzle from the solar shower from coleman at Walmart. Put the nozzle on a 5 inch piece of plastic tubing to my platy 3l hoser. I have manged to completly wash myself on one liter of water.

This is a very opinionated topic. One of personal choice. I perfer to get 10 hours of sweat off me for a nights sleep.

Mr. Right
09-08-2010, 16:23
I agree with Bag "o" Tricks, in that you will probably want to give yourself more than 7 days for that section.

Also, for the same price as buying one of those shower kits, you can stop off at The Doyle and pay for a room.

Bags4266
09-08-2010, 17:29
Here are 2 pics on what I did. Spray setup weighs .7 oz9182

Miner
09-08-2010, 17:52
Platypus made a shower attachment for their bladders. I cut the tube short and it doesn't add hardly any weight to my pack. Though I rarely use it.

leaftye
09-08-2010, 20:42

Nicely done.

sbhikes
09-10-2010, 11:55
A bandana and some cool water feels great at the end of the day in summer time. I also like to stop at a nice creek and splash my face.

leaftye
09-10-2010, 12:16
I have been wanting to find a light & compact way to add a shower to my kit. I hate the idea of adding more gear, but I sure do get stinky, especially when I use my vapor barrier. Has anyone here tried putting small holes into a cap for a water bottle/bladder?

flemdawg1
09-10-2010, 12:18
I have been wanting to find a light & compact way to add a shower to my kit. I hate the idea of adding more gear, but I sure do get stinky, especially when I use my vapor barrier. Has anyone here tried putting small holes into a cap for a water bottle/bladder?

I just squeeze the bite valve with my hand, no mods needed for me. You'd be surprised how little water you need to get clean.

leaftye
09-10-2010, 12:27
I wouldn't want that type of cap. They get too dirty for drinking and they're too heavy just for a shower. I was thinking of the flat caps.

Yep, I don't want much water. I need to find some needles. I'm thinking drill bits will allow too much water. A hot flame and some needles should get the holes small enough.

JAK
09-10-2010, 12:28
I like the idea of a bag you can hang, and if it is a dark colour it could heat up water for washing and rinsing stuff in general as well as for showers. If the sun is not out or you haven't time you should still be able to heat up some water to put into it, for whatever washing you have in mind. Good way to save fuel if you can't use something like a kelly kettle. I wonder if you could also use it for preheating water for tea or coffee or meals. I don't see why not, except perhaps the wrong time of day for breakfast or supper.

I don't think I would actually use it for showering though. I prefer using a wash basin and a wash cloth. When I need the big rinse and soak I go for a swim. Waterfalls are great, but of course we don't have those everywhere. Rain showers work. Sun showers are awesome, when you get them.

Bags4266
09-10-2010, 13:09
While small holes in a cap will work, you have now way to stop the flow once hanged.

leaftye
09-10-2010, 14:22
I won't be hanging it. I live in southern California. Most hikes I'd have to lay on the ground to appreciate a shower hung from the plant life. I do usually carry a black 10 liter water bladder, so I could do a full on solar shower, but it's just too much trouble to fill and heat that thing.

Alligator
09-10-2010, 14:29
I have been wanting to find a light & compact way to add a shower to my kit. I hate the idea of adding more gear, but I sure do get stinky, especially when I use my vapor barrier. Has anyone here tried putting small holes into a cap for a water bottle/bladder?Yes that works, I carry one like that for my Platypus. I use it mainly to wash dishes. Once in a great while I will use it for a shower but usually a regular shower can be had before long on the AT.

While small holes in a cap will work, you have now way to stop the flow once hanged.I just stand it against a tree. However, in the past, I took a mesh beg (lemon or onion), made a mesh stuff sack, put an extra loop in the stuff sack, and hung the Platypus. I find it easier though just to stand it up rather than finding a good branch to hang it from.

I used a drill bit to make the cap, works fine. Use the Platypus cap or even a soda cap.

Alligator
09-10-2010, 14:33
I won't be hanging it. I live in southern California. Most hikes I'd have to lay on the ground to appreciate a shower hung from the plant life. I do usually carry a black 10 liter water bladder, so I could do a full on solar shower, but it's just too much trouble to fill and heat that thing.I just boil about a liter and top off a three liter bladder. You just need enough to get the chill off the water. If you already use a hydration system, the only thing extra is the drilled cap.

XCskiNYC
09-10-2010, 14:39

Did you homebrew that or is it the shower attachment that Platypus discontinued? If that's the former Platypus product, it's a shame they discontinued it looks like it only weights an ounce or two and adds shower capability.

Right now the only purpose-made shower attachment I know is very difficult to find, though if you poke around a bit there is one available.

It may add a few ounces to your rig, but what price monkey butt?

Bags4266
09-10-2010, 14:48
XCSKINYC, thats a homebrew. I bought the Coleman 5 gallon solar shower bag from Walley World for $7.00 just for that little spray cap. Weighs .7 oz.
I also heat the water when brisk out. 1L for my 3L platy. Gets the water just about right.

sbhikes
09-10-2010, 14:59
By the way, Sea to Summit makes a drybag with a shower nozzle on the bottom. I brought it on my PCT hike last year. I think I used it only once as an actual shower. Otherwise I put my sleeping bag inside.

innermountain
09-10-2010, 15:39
one great solution that I love for washing your face and neck each night is to make hot herbal tea, and once you're one with it, use the tea bag (warm, moist, and smells good) to wash your face and neck. It even has a bit of a scrubbing effect - be careful though of the tea bag breaking and ending up with tiny bits of herb all over your face.

leaftye
09-10-2010, 18:09
That's some bait your threw out there.

flemdawg1
09-10-2010, 23:08
Tea bag busted all over your face eh?

Just like t-ball here tonight.

Jonnycat
09-11-2010, 01:05
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4871/confusedman.jpg