PDA

View Full Version : First Backpacking Trip

Sheryll
09-08-2010, 14:31
Well, we finally did it! My husband, 16 year old son and I went on our first overnight backpacking trip and we loved it! We greatly underestimated ourselves though. did not get nearly as far as we wanted to, but still had fun. learned a LOT. (like what we can live without and need to leave at home):)
we were going to do 2 days, but ended up only doing one. we have muscles hurting that we didn't know we had!!:eek:
I have a couple of questions that I would like to throw out to you guys.
1). water situation. we ran out of water. our map showed that water should be at certain places, but we never came across it. how far off the trail would it be? (we hiked standing indian) our map shows it near the shelter, and then also down one of the other trails (forgot the name) but we never found it, till we hiked nearly back to the standing indian campsite.
2). my son only wears skateboard shoes. they have no support, I had bought him some hiking boots and he said they hurt his feet badly, so this weekend he hiked in his skate shoes and his feet hurt, but not as bad as in the hiking boots. I told him I would look into some "trail runners" since they are low-tops and seem to be more like tennis shoes.
Anybody have issues like this? got any ideas for hiking shoes for him? (I have RA, and fallen arches in my feet and have to wear hiking boots ALL the time, so he could have inherited some issues from me)

I think all 3 of us are addicted to backpacking now, even though I hobble and limp along slower than molasses, I loved it! (my son called me "Ms. Limps-a-long" all summer):D
I have gotten a lot of advice from you guys for the last year, and want to say thanks. it helped a lot!

JAK
09-08-2010, 14:34
Awesome. One two counts. Family doing something together. Outdoors. Totally awesome.
Details don't matter.

Jonnycat
09-08-2010, 14:52
2). my son only wears skateboard shoes. they have no support, I had bought him some hiking boots and he said they hurt his feet badly, so this weekend he hiked in his skate shoes and his feet hurt, but not as bad as in the hiking boots. I told him I would look into some "trail runners" since they are low-tops and seem to be more like tennis shoes.

Big leather boots can be tough for kids, as their feet keep growing. By the time they are broken in, they no longer fit. Your idea of using trail runners is probably the best option, as they can have support, but don't have nearly as long of a break-in period (part of the break-in period is your feet getting used to the shoe).

The best advice for hiking footwear is to wear them in daily activities for a period of weeks, or months, before they are actually used on trail conditions. This gives the user time to get used to them.

Glad to hear everything went well; I still learn something every time I go out, and it keeps on getting easier and easier.

sevensixtwo187
09-08-2010, 14:59
Awesome. One two counts. Family doing something together. Outdoors. Totally awesome.
Details don't matter.

Couldn't agree more! I love backpacking with my Wife & Son! :D

couscous
09-08-2010, 15:04
1) water situation - creek at the Indian Mtn. shelter is 70 yards down the mountain.. should have been a sign.
2) shoes - my youngest (17) just wears his tennis shoes backpacking.. since he normally wears them all the time.

mister krabs
09-08-2010, 15:05
Definitely get trail runners or running shoes, it will make an amazing difference. Water is scarce in the early fall, it's the driest time of the year in the south.

Nazarene
09-08-2010, 22:12
I hiked for 2 straight weeks through the Negev, Israel in an old pair of Nike running shoes. I was one of the few people in my group without foot problems at the end. I was very pleased with the decision to take the runners.

Marta
09-09-2010, 05:22
The water source for Standing Indian Shelter is across the AT and down that steep hill. It's not far away. I haven't been there recently--after all this dry weather it may be hard to see.

daddytwosticks
09-09-2010, 07:27
Did a day hike up to SI mountain from Deep Gap on Labor Day. The water supply (creek) was flowing. I've seen it better. There is no sign for the water source and the sign for the shelter turnoff looks like a 5 y.o. did it (no offense to the tots!). :)

Old Grouse
09-09-2010, 09:58
My 30 yr old daughter hikes in sneakers. I keep urging her to get trail runners but she hasn't yet, even though she admits the rocks hurt the bottoms of her feet. I can't figure it out, since she's always seemed to have 20 pairs of sneakers dedicated to her various sports.

skinewmexico
09-09-2010, 15:44
Did your son have his skate shoes laced up tight? Or was he wearing them like...........skate shoes?

LIhikers
09-09-2010, 18:37
Congrats!
It only gets more interesting, and in a sense easier, the more trips you have under your belt.

Sheryll
09-10-2010, 09:03
No, he didnt have them laced up tight. But they were tied (I wont let him run around with his laces tucked in, I make him tie them) I also wont let him run around with droopy drawers. but that is another story.
he didnt get blisters or anything, said it hurt under his arch. but he does not like shoes that have a lot of arch support... says that hurts too.
think he is too picky? :)
might just take after me and have screwed up feet.

sbhikes
09-10-2010, 11:53
At some point no matter what you do, walking hurts. It may be after a shorter distance if you haven't hiked a lot, or it might take back-to-back 30 mile days. But eventually it hurts. Doesn't mean it's a problem. If feet hurt at the end of the day but feel fine in the morning, everythings just fine.