PDA

View Full Version : Gear List: Autumn LT e2e

pattydivins
09-08-2010, 18:36
Hiking the LT southbound starting sometime in the next 2 weeks. Here is my gear list:

Clothing Worn:

OR Seattle Sombrero
Patagonia Capeline 2 T-shirt
Patagonia Merino Wool long sleeve crew
Patagonia Baggies shorts
Smartwool PhD Socks
Ex Offiico Boxers
Salomon XT Trail running shoes
Komperdell Trekking Poles
Digital Watch

Clothing Carried:

Patagonia Capeline 2 Long sleeve T (kept dry for sleeping)
Patagonia Capeline 2 Leg Tights (kept dry for sleeping)
Patagonia Micropuff Vest
ArcTeryx windshirt
Merino Wool socks x2 (1 pair for sleeping, 1 backup hiking pair)
Lightweight Wool Gloves
Polyester Balaclava
Crocs (still debating bringing these)

Sleeping:

Tarptent Contrail
30 degree rated down bag (20 degree synthetic for backup)
Big Agnes Insulated Aircore Mummy Pad

Storage:

Gossamer Gear Gorilla
2 silnylon bags for food storage
1 Trash Compactor pack liner (for sleeping bag and dry clothes)

Cooking:

Vargo Alcohol Stove
2 8oz alcohol storage bottles
Vargo .7L Titanium cooking pot
Pot Holder
Windscreen
Lite my Fire spork
Bic mini lighter

Water:

2L Platypus w/hose
.5L Gatorage bottle
Katadyn water purifying tablets

Rain Gear:

DriDucks Rainsuit
Moutain Laurel Designs eVent rain mits
Pack Cover

First Aid:

Duct Tape
Hand sanatizer
Ibuprofen
Immodium

Navigation:

Compass
Waterproof Map
End to Enders guide from GMC

Misc:

Princeton Tec Headlamp
Bandana
Pocket Knife
Toilet Paper
Digital Camera
Cell Phone
Rope for Bear Bagging
Waterproof matches

I think that covers everything. If you see anything missing or have any suggestions let me know, I can also answer any questions... Thanks

Razor
09-08-2010, 18:52
I just finished an Eto E and had about the same kit . It all worked well.Be advised the weather can turn very quick there and it might be winter before you finish. Also I usually use trail runners but elected to use Keen shoes and was glad I did. The ruggedness of the trail (pathway) called for thicker soles and a stiffer support than the runners and I advise considering the stronger support. Have a great hike Razor

pattydivins
09-08-2010, 19:02
What do you mean by Ruggedness? I just did a PA hike with some rocky sections and these trail runners were fine for support. I have strong ankles, not too concerned about this.

Tagless
09-08-2010, 19:04
I hiked a 135 mile of the Long Trail last month. In my opinion you've nailed it.

Nice job! Have a great hike.

Dogwood
09-08-2010, 19:08
Cocky Little Bast^%$! But That's Good! Good! I like that!

You must be young and from South Jawsee! Oh boy! Not another one!

double d
09-08-2010, 21:46
What do you mean by Ruggedness? I just did a PA hike with some rocky sections and these trail runners were fine for support. I have strong ankles, not too concerned about this.

Haaa, please post your follow up comments when you have finish the LT!!!

Razor
09-08-2010, 22:28
Do not confuse the LT with the AT I will be looking foward to your post hike report and comments about the treadway,path, and bolder climbing. Hope you have a great time. It will be a new adventure. Razor

Nazarene
09-08-2010, 23:27
I'm a pretty firm believer in packing a tube of Icy Hot and some Pepto tablets just to be safe. But that's me. Icy Hot on a sore foot or muscle at night can really hit the spot if needed.

pattydivins
09-08-2010, 23:39
I appreciate your sarcasm about my apparent ignornance about the nature of this "ruggedness" you speak off. Of course, comparing the LT to the AT would be futile, as I have not hiked the LT at all. The mentioning of my hike in PA was simply to state that my ankles are capable of what I understand to be rugged terrain (Black Forest Trail).

I like to climb over boulders and swim around in mud. I enjoy standing outside in hurricane induced rain showers simply for the enjoyment of getting drenched to the bone...... Now say you, do you think I have what it takes?

Razor
09-09-2010, 15:34
My intention was never to put dispersion on your ability but only to open up the possibility of considering possible options and why it might be practical. One can hike through anything and then one can thru hike enjoyably . I thought you wanted imput and opinion ,that was it. Razor

Moose2001
09-09-2010, 17:55
Patty - I envy you. I lived in Vermont for 15 years just off the LT at Smugglers' Notch. Hiking the LT in Sept is glorious. The Fall colors will be at, or near, peak, no bugs, warm days, cool nights. It should be a memorable trip for you.

Looked at your gear list and I think you might want to put some more cold weather gear in your pack. Nights at elevation in Sept can be cold in VT. A 30 degree bag and the clothes you have might leave you shivering at night. If it were me, I'd dump the tights and the T shirt you have for sleeping and go with a set of polypro underwear. YMMV

The rest of your gear looks spot on. Enjoy your trip. I see you're going south. You'll do the wildest section first. Hope you have a great time. Take LOTS of pictures!

pattydivins
09-09-2010, 21:50
It's hard for me to imagine how my clothes would leave me cold, however, I am starting to doubt the 30 degree down bag. I like the idea of having the 20 degree for cold nights at high elevation. I also like the idea that the 20 degree bag is a synthetic (I hear VT is wet)

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 22:08
Well, the weather has actually been quite nice lately. We've been getting showers, but no protracted rain and temps are moderate for this time of year. Looks pretty good over the next ten days as well, some showers but otherwise very nice. Leaves are just starting to turn as well. You should have a very nice hike and be out of northern VT before any really cold weather hits.

Graywolf
09-09-2010, 22:24
Thanks for the gear list. I am assuming, being a late September hike in VT will be similar to a late November Hike is Georgia.. I could use this list as a template..Thanks..

Graywolf

Praha4
09-10-2010, 01:09
how has that Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack worked out for you on other extended hiking trips?

pattydivins
09-10-2010, 11:57
I love it. It is very comfortable for me (I am 6' 1", 185 lbs with an athletic build and I use a medium). The shoulder straps are very wide, which displaces the force around my upper torso more evenly, which makes it more comfortable. I also am a big fan of the outer pockets- very practical for storage, makes things easy to get to when taking the pack off.

pattydivins
09-10-2010, 16:18
I think I am going to go with the 30 degree down bag. If I am cold, I have the Patagonia Micropuff vest, gloves, balaclava, and warm socks. I cannot justify bringing the extra 2 pounds or so for the synthetic bag and also the approximentally 50% more room it will take up in my pack. I think my system for keeping the down bag and dry clothes in a trash compactor bag will do fine to ensure keeping the down dry. Any thoughts?

Praha4
09-10-2010, 21:10
I think going with the 30 degree down bag is good choice, with the other winter clothes you'll be fine. I also use the Patagonia Capiline2 base layers for 3-season hiking.

I used a Marmot Hydrogen 30 degree down bag on the A.T. from GA to TN in April-May and it worked out great. I use one ultralight Sea to Summit ultra-sil dry bag for my sleeping bag, and another dry-bag for clothing, and also use a trash compactor bag inside my backpack. I've never had a problem with clothes or a down bag getting wet in my pack, even in the worst typhoons on the trail!

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7

pattydivins
09-17-2010, 11:19
I am heading out tomorrow to stay in North Troy for the night, then I will be hitting the trail on Sunday morning. I am very anxious about the trip. I am going to take it slow at first to build up strength in my legs/knees. I will probably be cruising right along after a hundred miles or so.

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 12:16
Have a nice hike. Possible first frost of the season tonight but overall the weather looks cool but nice.