PDA

View Full Version : Alaska bound

bigcat2
11-27-2004, 18:00
I am starting to plan a trip to Denali NP in Alaska in 2006. I know it is still a long way away, but I also know it'll be here before I know it. I would like any and all information on where the best spots are in Denali, any special equipment I'll need, etc. I've done some research, but I know it doesn't compare to first hand from ppl. I thank you all in advance for the help. Be safe and hike well.

smokymtnsteve
11-27-2004, 22:28
what time of year??

TakeABreak
11-27-2004, 22:31
Bigcat2, are you driving or flying into Alaska, the reason I ask is that I drove up there in late April 01, it was an awesome drive, really cold at night too. There is also, a nice little hostel in Anchorage, that is really inexpensive, I can try and figure out where it is again if you want.

smokymtnsteve
11-27-2004, 22:57
it is cheaper to fly into ANC and take AK trails shuttle, then it is to fly into Fairbanks. this winter the shuttle fare from ANC to Healy is $74 one-way or $144 round trip.

the AK railroad is very nice to take at least one way in or out. about 8 hours from ANC to Denali station.

bigcat2
11-28-2004, 01:04
Takeabreak, if you could find that info about the hostile for me that would be great. I may want to stay there and take the AK train the next day, depending on what flights I can get.

Steve, I will probably want to go near the end of the Summer. Possibly looking close to Labour Day but no set time as of now. I will definitely be flying up there. I had looked at flying into Ankorage and taking the train mainly because I've never done a train trip like that. I think it would be wonderful to see the countryside from the train. I suppose I'm nostaligic that way. All I know is that I am already excited about going and reading your report on AK just added fuel to the fire. AK has been on my top 10 places to go and I figure I might as well stop talking about it and start planning it. That's one reason I'm going in 2006 so I have enough time to save enough to enjoy it like I want to.

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 01:20
I stayed at the international youth hostel when I was up anchorage

http://www.anchorageinternationalhostel.org/

it is right in town and 1 block from the people mover bus station , one bus from the airport to the hostel downtown, downtown ANC is nice, fopr free you can go to the public lands center and see exhibits and films, also the toni knowles coastal trail is nice ,,a bicycle is a easy way to get around ANC, it is just a few blocks to the train station from the Hostel. Very easy,

from Denali it is easy to hitchhike to Fairbanks, Fairbanks also has a bus system, Fair banks is a city that you can walk around the train station is very close to the downtown area, there is a hostel at 18th, that is in walking distance to downtown.

smokymtnsteve
11-28-2004, 01:28
Delta airlines has aquired some slots at Fairbanks International and is going to start some direct flights to FAI during summer season, look for some competitive fares.

I was up this year for the end of Aug and the beginning of Sept the weather and fall colors were amazing.

also by going during a time when you will have more dark period increases your chances of seeing some auroura, my son saw northern lights regularly at in sept.

right now you can fly RT atl-anc for around $450.

The Solemates
11-29-2004, 10:56
I would plan to at the very least spend a couple days in the #15 (I think) parcel plot in the park. Its the one nearest Denali (other than the Denali parcel, which requires special permission, etc.), and includes Wonder Lake (the lake thats always in the photos). I dont have my maps on me, but one of the parcel plots closer to the entrance in which you follow a river southwards in also great. Be sure to be flexible when entering the park. You may not get the parcel you want at first, but then the wait will be well worth it. We'll be heading to the Kenai Peninsula, AK, this summer (July 2005).

If youre interested in a train ride, the ride from Seward on the Kenai to Anchorage (and onwards North) is magnificent.

To my knowledge, you should not need any special equipment for a late Aug/early Sept hike, but do be prepared for cold weather just in case an early snow comes.

Have fun!!!

TakeABreak
11-29-2004, 13:49
Bigcat2, SmokyMtnSteve's Hostel is closer to where you will be (airport, train station, downtown) the one I stayed at was at the edge of town coming into or going out of Anchorage, it was convenient for me because I drove in and they let me work on my truck in there parking lot (I had to replace a brake caliper that started sticking on the way into anchorage).

But I will try find the name of of it and it's exact location, as you said there is plenty of time before you go.

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 18:59
spenard probably,

http://www.alaskahostel.org/

Dances with Mice
11-29-2004, 19:13
Steve - is your employer going to be running the Iditarod next year?

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 19:17
his racing focus is the YUKON QUEST,

glaciers tours near juneau in the summer.

http://daltonga.hades.ultraservers.net/

check out his racing history

Dances with Mice
11-29-2004, 19:37
http://daltonga.hades.ultraservers.net/
check out his racing history

Continuous improvement, he must be one of the favorites this year.

I see his competition this year will include some familiar names from the Iditarod: Jon Little, Lance Mackey, and Kelley Griffin.

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 20:32
I'm looking forward to learning from Dave....

I've always had a Jack London "call of the wild" fantasy.

for reading this winter I'm working on a Carl Sagan, i've got a couple John Steinbeck's to read, to be read the completed works of stienbeck, so I'm looking forward to that.

plus I should have some prime Aurora viewing,

also ravens and eagles are bad to hang around dog yards to steal meat.

TakeABreak
11-29-2004, 20:55
I looked at the link to Spenard, it does not look like the place nor does the map look right. the place i stayed at on the edge of town going towards TOK, there was a NAPA store and Walmarts both within 5 minutes away.

bigcat2
11-29-2004, 22:47
What a great society we live in when we can relate everything to a Wal-Mart location :D . All of the information so far has been quite helpful. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 23:22
Guy moving to AK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2004-11-29, 3:12PM AKST

You are not alone! Many people have already left their wives to move here. Some of them probably even killed their wives before they came. In fact that is why they are here. Its called being on the run from something may it be life's failures or just felonies. That is what Alaska is all about. So even if you have not or will not beat or maim your wife then hopefully you have some other really scarey things in your closet. We have lots of free social services and we give lots of money to you every year for doing absolutely nothing. Its all free and no taxes....
Don't come here because its beautiful or the air is clean. Please come here for all the wrong reasons and hide. many Alaskans have, but not all

Welcome aboard!

this is in or around AK
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Bloodroot
11-30-2004, 02:46
I also have been thinking about a trip to Denali in the near future. I know this has been asked, but what would the special equipment needs be for a summer visit? Is the skeeters really as bad as everyone says? Or is that just up in the bush?
I am another one who ponders this same fantasy about moving there. No wife to kill, but if I think about it, I'm sure I can committ a felony somehow. I really think once I visit, good chance I won't wanna leave. How is the employment?

smokymtnsteve
11-30-2004, 09:40
I also have been thinking about a trip to Denali in the near future. I know this has been asked, but what would the special equipment needs be for a summer visit? Is the skeeters really as bad as everyone says? Or is that just up in the bush?
I am another one who ponders this same fantasy about moving there. No wife to kill, but if I think about it, I'm sure I can committ a felony somehow. I really think once I visit, good chance I won't wanna leave. How is the employment?

skeeters big and bad,

employment?

pretty good check out the classifieds

http://www.news-miner.com/

http://www.adn.com/

seasonal oppourtunites in tourism are very plentiful.

when the natural gas pipeline begins construction the AK economy will boom.

Knowledge of Japanese langauge is a big asset.

Freighttrain
11-30-2004, 09:52
if your planning on climbing Denali, I heard its only open to climbers in early summer..

Pencil Pusher
11-30-2004, 23:50
It's open to climbing year round. Probably what you heard was most attempts are in the early summer, May-July.

The Solemates
12-01-2004, 11:05
Ive always heard that even earlier than May-July, say late March, is better. that way you know that all of the crevasses are still frozen and not unstable, but at the same time you dont get harsh winter conditions.