PDA

View Full Version : march NoBO hammock gear

eagle-keeper
11-28-2004, 01:20
I am trying to get my gear list set up for my March thru-hike next year. I have been hammock camping back in the scouts over 14 years ago but have yet to use the HH or hammock camp in cold weather. I am trying to figure out what I need to keep warm that is not overkill and I can still use it in a shelter if the need arises. I would also like it to be adaptable enough that I could use parts of the gear for the whole hike mailing home some parts for the summer months. I am a fairly warm sleeper (I grew up in the northeast with parents that didn’t like to spend money on heat in the winter) so I don’t need anything extreme.

Here is what I have decided on so far:

Explorer ultralite A-sym hammock, I am 6 foot tall and I think the extra room would be worth the added weight

MacCat deluxe Tarp, for the camp comfort and extra dry space this seems worth the weight. I also think that in a really cold storm this Tarp could be staked flat to the ground (forming a tent) giving better wind/snow/rain protection then the tarp that comes with the HH.

JacksrBetter Nest, from what I have read in the forums this works great during all times of the year and is a must have for cold weather

Now what I can’t decide on is what to use as a sleeping bag/quilt on top to get me threw the spring weather and threw the mountains.

Would the JacksrBetter 3 season quilt set (the nest and no sniveller *plus extra clothes*) keep me warm for the start and end of the thru-hike? On the site it says that the top and bottom quilts can be combined to form a sleeping bag. Would this be adequate for shelter sleeping in the cold combined with a ¾ length foam pad?

Would the 4 season Quilt set (nest, no sniveller, old rag mtn) be a better option for the start of the hike or overkill?

I guess my final option would be to get the nest and add a regular sleeping bag. The big agnes bags or the W/M pod bags catch my eye because of the pad pocket that could also be used for hammock camping and in the shelters. With the price of the bags this becomes an expensive option.

What do you more experienced hammock campers take with you? What would be a good combination for the start of a thru-hike? Thanks for your time and sorry to post so long. Any help would be great. Thanks

orangebug
11-28-2004, 08:06
I just did my first long distance with a hammock and have mixed thoughts on it. My set up was a Speers Hammock, Peapod, Western Mountaineering PUMA bag used as a quilt and bag, Target closed cell foam pad and (as extra insurance) a 3/4 Thermorest Guidelite that doubled as the back pad from my backpack. There was also an 8X10 tarp.

First, very comfortable. I was never cold although had to learn how to trim the pad to make it easier to close the PeaPod.

Second, a bit complicated to learn to set up initially, especially when dealing with impending weather. I had rain but did not get wet. Stuff got wet that stayed on the ground - like my shoes.

Third, bulky! This is a lot of stuff to keep for a shelter. I know that it was heavier than my Wanderlust Nomad tent, which I switched to for the last 4 nights of my section. I suspect that a smaller thinner sleeping bag/quilt would have done as well as I did get hot.

Fourth, adaptable. I slept on night in the Roan High Point Shelter rather than used the hammock. Everything I had worked for shelter stay very nicely.

Fifth, nothing is perfect. Even after changing to my Nomad, I got hit by that cold front a few days ago, with 3 inches of driving wind and rain Wednesday night before the Thanksgiving snow. My tent got wet. I am certain that anything would have been wet, including the nearby shelter. You will have to be as adaptable as your shelter choice, including your knowledge that your tarp has multiple uses.

Glee
11-28-2004, 12:35
I just got back about a month ago from spending 6 months on the AT with my HH. I've been spending every night outside trying to find the right combination for different weather. So far it has only gotten down to 30 degrees. I will keep a ongoing report of what is working best for me here.

neo
12-27-2004, 03:41
i stayed warm with no problem on my last hammock trip was windy and 30 degrees,used a 24x50 in sleepling pad,and a 30 degree ed speer quilt in my
hh hammock:sun neo

titanium_hiker
12-28-2004, 14:46
have you seen the travel pod?

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

gravityman
12-28-2004, 15:01
i stayed warm with no problem on my last hammock trip was windy and 30 degrees,used a 24x50 in sleepling pad,and a 30 degree ed speer quilt in my
hh hammock:sun neo

I would say you need to be prepared for 10 degree nighttime weather. We had 2 deg in the smokeys in the middle of march in 2001.

Graivty

treetrunks
12-28-2004, 15:12
I have been working on the same problem. I think what I will do is bring a ground cloth and ridgerest and warm sleeping bag, on cold nights I will sleep under the tarp on the ground. When it is warm enough I'll use the hammock.

bailcor
12-28-2004, 15:26
I did a section hike of about 150 miles back in Oct.. Some of the temperatures got down to 30 and I found that the Hennessey System with the closed cell worked very well. I think it might be challanged down into single figures though. The Jack "R" Better underquilt combined with the closed cell pad of Hennessey would be up to the task I bet. I intend to try it out soon so will let you know. Providing I survive of course. I got the python skins and found that it gobbled up the hammock and the underquilt very well. The underpad packs down very small and I keep it in the same bag.

humvee
01-05-2005, 02:40
after all i have read I think I am going to start my Thru this year in a HH. I think the combo of the Jacks "R" better underquilt and a close cell would do just fine. and if it gets that bad I can always just hop out of the hammock and sleep under the tarp.

Do you guys think the MEGA-lite bag would be enough?

oldfivetango
01-05-2005, 09:20
I would like to know what you were wearing on your person during
that windy 30 degree weather.I have been sleeping in the yard on cold
nights(much to the chagrin of my wife and amusement of my grown daughters
who think their dad is a nut) in order to experiment with cold weather sleeping in
my HH Expedition Asym.Does the term "bridge freezes before road" have an all new
significance to you?It will when you start hammock camping-which at my age is the
ONLY way to go.
I am doing pretty good at temps above freezing with a Slumberjack 0 degree bag
and the HH cell pad under me along with their top and bottom cover.I have some
lightweight extra warm clothers on order before i spring for the JacksRBettr underquilt which i may have to do.Also plan to try bivvying out on the ground as
soon as we get another cold night.It's HOT in Georgia at night now- like in the 50's
and 70's during the day.But since it is Georgia we could have a blizzard like the one
in '93 just anytime.
Cheers