PDA

View Full Version : Tarps

Luddite
09-09-2010, 14:34
I am looking for a good ultra-light tarp for my thru-hike next year. I have considered the Gatewood Cape, The Wild Oasis, and the Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter or the SpinnTwinn. I'm about 6' 2". My pack is going to be the ULA OHM so I don't have much room for bulky gear. Anyone have any experience with these tarps? Or other UL tarps.

Mags
09-09-2010, 14:56
The Wild Oasis (and the Gatewood Cape) is a great shelter. But, many people about above 5'10" +/- find it restricting. Not that tall people don't use it/like it...just something to keep in mind.

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 15:12
I've been using an Etowah Outfitters Meadow http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/SPECTARPS.html with good results - it can be rigged as an 8 x 10 tarp or a teepee (has a door flap) but it sounds like you want something lighter - mine is about 24 oz with stakes and lines.

I've been thinking of going lighter and have been looking at tarps from OES in Spinn (Maccat) http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/ and Mountain Laurel Designs http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/ (really cutting edge and pricey stuff in Spinn and Cuben). Both get rave reviews from most users.

flemdawg1
09-09-2010, 17:08
zpacks.com has some really nice tarps as well.

Luddite
09-09-2010, 17:20
I'm not too sure about Cuben Fiber for a tarp.

Praha4
09-09-2010, 18:34
I used a Black Diamond Beta Lite tarp this spring and it worked out fine, except for a condensation problem one very damp night.

I've also used the Tarptent Moment and Contrail and like both of those too.

Miner
09-09-2010, 18:47
I'm not too sure about Cuben Fiber for a tarp.

Cuben fiber works great for a tarp. I've had my Mountain Laruel Designs Grace Solo tarp (in cuben fiber) since early 2008 and have been in heavy rain and snow with it with no trouble. I took it for my PCT thru-hike and will likely take it for my AT hike as well. However, that Zpack heximid tarp shelter does look interesting and I've considered getting one. I saw a guy with one this past spring and was pretty impressed with it. If you don't like the tarps at MLD, the Spinntwin at Gossemer Gear is a good solid tarp with many users.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-09-2010, 19:11
zpacks.com has some really nice tarps as well.
I haven't bought one of their tarps yet but I've gotten great customer service on my other orders. Definitely give them a look if you are interested in cuben minimalist type shelters.

Luddite
09-09-2010, 19:22
Do you think the Gossamer Gear would pack smaller than the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis?

Cooldays
09-09-2010, 19:45
I love my oes spinn tarp! I made my own tie outs with mason line and surgical tubing tensioners. It has lots of tie outs but was stable in the wind with 4 stakes and an under the tarp ridgeline I made from zing it and mason line prussiks, last weekend with 20 to 25mph gusts.

Serial 07
09-09-2010, 20:16
the wild oasis is nice, but it is a tight space...

Luddite
09-09-2010, 20:25
the wild oasis is nice, but it is a tight space...

Yeah I think its going to be too small for me. I won't really need to worry about bugs until about half way through my hike. I'm starting in late February. I'm hoping that bugs won't be a problem until mid-May.

Del Q
09-09-2010, 20:30
Just curious, why a tarp vs one of the new sub-30 ounce tents?

GlazeDog
09-10-2010, 00:36
I'm 6'5" tall and comfortably sleep inside the Spinn Shelter--plenty of length. The material is slightly crinkly sounding, but has never bothered me or kept me awake--although I could go pro when it comes to being able to sleep in conditions that would have others praying for morning. Got to love the light weight. I want to add a SMD Bug Bivy at some time even though it's only rated for someone 6'4" or under (but has a 6'10" floor length). But love the tarp.

Happy Trails

daddytwosticks
09-10-2010, 07:31
I'm six foot, average build. Used the Gatewood Cape a few times. Wonderful product. However, it was too claustrophobic as a shelter for me to use for more than an overnighter. Sold it. :)

Luddite
09-10-2010, 11:35
Just curious, why a tarp vs one of the new sub-30 ounce tents?

Why have a sub-30 ounce tent when you can have a sub-12 ounce tarp?

sbhikes
09-10-2010, 11:58
Watching Glenn Van Peski sqeeze into a Spinn Shelter has been compared to putting on a condom. The Spinn Twinn is very roomy.

Luddite
09-10-2010, 13:10
Watching Glenn Van Peski sqeeze into a Spinn Shelter has been compared to putting on a condom. The Spinn Twinn is very roomy.

LOL It does look a little cramped

Long feet
09-10-2010, 14:36
I Love my Gatewood Cape. It's great for the AT, where you can often stay in shelters. I'm 6' 4" and it's pretty tight, but OK. It works wonderfully as rain gear as well. If you are considering a tarp, poncho tarps are great as they double as rain gear. My shelter and rain gear come out pretty light (11 oz.) compared to a large tarp and separate rain gear. The Mountain Laurel Designs ponchos seem to be the lightest. If I made the purchase again, I would go for the MLD.

Rcarver
09-10-2010, 15:11
I love my Spinnshelter. I used it this past summer with a Bear Paw bug net. Works very well together.

Del Q
09-10-2010, 22:06
Agree on 12 oz tarp 100%, lighter is so much better, BUT - if a tarp were 24+ ounces I would get a new tent. Bug free, easier to pitch, more weather resistant and warmer.

Luddite
09-11-2010, 15:12
Anybody know how much cheaper it would be to buy spinnaker or cuben fiber and make your own tarp? I've heard cuben fiber is expensive but what about spinnaker?

slow
09-11-2010, 20:07
Anybody know how much cheaper it would be to buy spinnaker or cuben fiber and make your own tarp? I've heard cuben fiber is expensive but what about spinnaker?

Spin is less cost and mist,noise
Cuben $ .. but top of the line...hands down.....:)

Franco
09-11-2010, 22:39
Luddite
check out :
http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#Coated%20Fabrics (http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#Coated%20Fabrics)

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/marine.html#Spinnaker%20Cloth (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/marine.html#Spinnaker%20Cloth)
Fabric is sold by the linear yard. The width is generally 45" or 60". So a yard is not a square yard

Franco
BTW, I have a problem with a Luddite talking about Cuben fiber . Are you defecting ?

verber
09-12-2010, 02:29
As others have mentioned, at 6'2" I expect you will find the Gatewood Cape and the Wild Oasis a bit too short for comfort in a locked down pitch, but it would be ok pitched off the group.

The SpinnShelter or SpinnTwinn would work well. I would also recommend checking out the tarps from MLD. Everything I have seen from MLD is TOP NOTCH.

I have been using the zpacks hexamid with the mesh for half a year or so and really like it. My whole shelter system is 12oz and it provides me a nice, bug free space. I am 4" shorter than you, depending on how much space you like, you might find it smaller than idea.

As to cuben as a material... if you have the money, it's great stuff. I would note that it's tricky to work with and you want to use tape / glue as much as possible since sewing weakens the material.

--Mark

Luddite
09-12-2010, 14:40
BTW, I have a problem with a Luddite talking about Cuben fiber . Are you defecting ?

Nope. I'm just gunna bring a canvas tarp on thru-hike. Screw it.

JAK
09-12-2010, 14:48
Don't overlook mud and wattle.

stranger
09-12-2010, 23:30
Best designed tarps I've seen are the Patrol Shelter by Mountain Laurel Designs and the Stratiform by Alpinlite Gear

Danielsen
09-13-2010, 16:44
I found a 6x8 blue poly tarp from walmart perfectly suitable for an impromptu camping night over the weekend. About $5 and two pounds, pretty durable as well. I'll be using it this coming weekend on a bike tour. If you're not familiar with tarping you might want to try it out first with an inexpensive option like this before you invest in spin or cuben.

Odd Man Out
09-13-2010, 16:56
Why have a sub-30 ounce tent when you can have a sub-12 ounce tarp?

Good question. I am in the market for one or the other and also need help deciding. But what is the weight of the 12 oz tarp if I also choose to have a ground cloth and bug net to go with it, both of which are included in the tent?

Luddite
09-13-2010, 17:05
Gossamer Gear sells a Polycryo Ground Cloth that weighs 1.5oz and a bug canopy that weighs 3oz. For example, those two pieces of gear coupled with the SpinnTwinn shelter would weigh about 15oz after seam sealing and factoring in the guy lines and 6 stakes I think. There are lighter options but some of the tarptents I've looked at don't look like they would give you much protection from the rain and they are extremely expensive.

Franco
09-13-2010, 17:48
The Spinn Twinn /Polycro Ground Sheet/Bug inner comes at $213
You can buy a TT Contrail for $199.
Sure it is about 10 oz heavier but it is faster to set up and in my opinion offers better wind /rain protection.

Real world situation.
A friend of mine has the GG Spinn Twinn.
We arrived at destination , a saddle at about 4000', about half an hour to nearly two hours (for the last two...) before a largish walking club. Got inside the refuge made a cup of coffee.
It was cold and windy but not too bad. We planned to spend the night inside.
However as more people arrived I changed my mind and set up my Contrail right in the middle of the saddle.
Everybody else was setting up their 4 season shelters at the edge behind trees.
My mate put his Spinn Twinn up also near the trees below.
As we were ready to go to sleep he decided that it was too windy so he slept inside the refuge.
About 1 hour later I had to take his tarp down because folk in the two tents next to it complained about the noise...
Franco

Luddite
09-13-2010, 18:17
The Spinn Twinn /Polycro Ground Sheet/Bug inner comes at $213
You can buy a TT Contrail for $199.
Sure it is about 10 oz heavier but it is faster to set up and in my opinion offers better wind /rain protection.

Real world situation.
A friend of mine has the GG Spinn Twinn.
We arrived at destination , a saddle at about 4000', about half an hour to nearly two hours (for the last two...) before a largish walking club. Got inside the refuge made a cup of coffee.
It was cold and windy but not too bad. We planned to spend the night inside.
However as more people arrived I changed my mind and set up my Contrail right in the middle of the saddle.
Everybody else was setting up their 4 season shelters at the edge behind trees.
My mate put his Spinn Twinn up also near the trees below.
As we were ready to go to sleep he decided that it was too windy so he slept inside the refuge.
About 1 hour later I had to take his tarp down because folk in the two tents next to it complained about the noise...
Franco

With the SpinnTwinn and the Neoair I'm probably not gunna be too popular on the trail :D

Franco
09-13-2010, 19:26
I believe that with some skill and a bit of luck you can get most shelters to work.
Typically whichever one likes will work but anything can be made to fail if one really tries.
You can always pitch that Twinn Spinn right down to the ground. For one it is definitely large enough to do that...
( I like my Neo..)
Franco

Danielsen
09-13-2010, 19:42
I'm in the process of making a Mylar tarp. I'll probably have to camp a little ways away from anyone else so as not to drive them crazy with the noise. :p

Deb
09-13-2010, 19:53
Mylar - Sounds fragile?

Danielsen
09-13-2010, 22:34
Mylar - Sounds fragile?

It is. So you have to be careful with it. The load-bearing is done by fiber tape that holds the whole thing together. I'm planning on it using the same principles as these: http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~geist/Philmont/2-man-shelter.pdf (http://www.csm.ornl.gov/%7Egeist/Philmont/2-man-shelter.pdf)

No guarantee it'll work. But I intend to try nonetheless!

Franco
09-13-2010, 22:41
Depends on the type. Mylar , like Tyvek, is the name of a family of products. Comes in different finishes and thickness.
The type of Cuban fiber discussed here is two layers of Mylar with a "fabric" core , but that is very different from a single Mylar layer.
Franco

Franco
09-13-2010, 22:45
Here it is :
http://www.grafixplastics.com/mylar_types.asp
Franco

Miner
09-13-2010, 23:33
Yeah, the spinniker fabric tarps are real noisy when they are brand new. After they get some use, they quiet down some. A friend got a SpinnTwin for his birthday this past spring and we went to Death Valley to do some backpacking so he could try it out. The rest of us slept up wind from him, so the noise didn't really bother us, but the strong desert winds kept him awake most of the night and he was convinced that we were going to kill him due to the noise. One thing you can do to quite it down when its new is throw it in a dry with no heat and some tennis balls. But this issue is another reason I like cuben fiber tarps better.

My MLD Grace Solo Tarp (cuben fiber) + MLD bivy sack weigh less then 15oz including line and stakes. But I paid about twice what a good tarp tent would cost. I think the flexibility is worth it as this setup matches my hiking style, but not everyone would agree or be as happy with it. I always recommend people start off cheap with tarping until they see if they like it, then you can go for the Mercedes of the tarp world.

Danielsen
09-14-2010, 10:50
Depends on the type. Mylar , like Tyvek, is the name of a family of products. Comes in different finishes and thickness.
The type of Cuban fiber discussed here is two layers of Mylar with a "fabric" core , but that is very different from a single Mylar layer.
Franco

This is true. I'm referring to the metallized thin mylar sheets typically sold as "emergency blankets." Very lightweight with a high tensile strength, but also very noisy and with a very low puncture/tear strength. Hence the need to be cautious not to damage it and to design the tarp so that the actual load is borne by the tape (as in the design I linked to).

Luddite
09-14-2010, 11:45
Yeah, the spinniker fabric tarps are real noisy when they are brand new. After they get some use, they quiet down some. A friend got a SpinnTwin for his birthday this past spring and we went to Death Valley to do some backpacking so he could try it out. The rest of us slept up wind from him, so the noise didn't really bother us, but the strong desert winds kept him awake most of the night and he was convinced that we were going to kill him due to the noise. One thing you can do to quite it down when its new is throw it in a dry with no heat and some tennis balls. But this issue is another reason I like cuben fiber tarps better.

My MLD Grace Solo Tarp (cuben fiber) + MLD bivy sack weigh less then 15oz including line and stakes. But I paid about twice what a good tarp tent would cost. I think the flexibility is worth it as this setup matches my hiking style, but not everyone would agree or be as happy with it. I always recommend people start off cheap with tarping until they see if they like it, then you can go for the Mercedes of the tarp world.

I have to try it out for myself. Everyone said the Thermarest Neoair was really loud but I don't think its noisy at all.

Is Cuben Fiber weaker or stronger than Spinniker?

Miner
09-14-2010, 13:52
Is Cuben Fiber weaker or stronger than Spinniker? Its stronger and lighter, but more expensive. It's main weakness is abrasion which is really only an issue if you were to use it as a floor..

Chance09
09-14-2010, 14:52
any thoughts on the Ray way tarp? It provides a huge area of shelter at around 16 oz.

Miner
09-14-2010, 21:39
People have obviously thru-hiked with the Ray way tarps without trouble. While the rain coverage is excellent, its size means you have more staking to do to keep it stable in strong winds (think giant sail). They are palaces compared to many tarps so if you were to spend a rainy day under one instead of hiking, that would be a good choice. However, its about twice as heavy as a GG Spinntwin which is still pretty roomy if you are by yourself (though its tight if its 2 people).