PDA

View Full Version : stepping off the trail

taylorbena
11-28-2004, 02:04
has anyone every taken a few days off of a through hike? The reason I am asking is that it turns out my sister is getting married the end of May. I am affraid that if I step off the trail I will become too comfortable and not want to return to my hike. On the other hand she is my sister, so I guess I amm obbligated to go. I dont know if I should be talking about this on a forum or with a shrink!
Thank You-
Taylor

The Hog
11-28-2004, 08:14
It's a good question. I took a week off my thru hike, picked up where I left off, and never looked back. But I have to admit, it was hard getting back on simply because the weather happened to be threatening cold rain that particular day. I think it would help if you could be flexible about your return to the trail - ie. watch the weather and pick a nice, sunny day.

If your resolve turns out to be weak about returning, perhaps it says something about whether thru hiking is an appropriate goal for you. If thru hiking turns out to be NOT what you really want to do, I wouldn't fight it. Why push yourself through all the hardships if deep down inside, your heart's not in it?

Lone Wolf
11-28-2004, 08:47
Took a SOBO to the bus station Friday to catch a bus to Greensboro then a plane to Barbados for a week to attend a wedding.

Peaks
11-28-2004, 10:37
From what I have read in various journals and books, it's very common to take a "vacation" during a thru-hike. People attend family obligations, such as weddings, go into DC or NYC for several days, go to the beach, the shore, or the Cape for several days.

If you find that this other life is too comfortable and you don't want to return to the trail, then you should reexamine your reasons for doing a thru-hike.

Dharma
11-28-2004, 11:18
With 2.5 weeks to Big K, I left the trail for a week to visit friends I see every summer. It was great and my body loved the down time! I couldn't wait to start walking again. Just go with the flow and visit your sister, everything will work out.