PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking problems for Canadians?

Canada_dan
09-10-2010, 11:57
Hey guys, I want to thru-hike the AT but thought of a potential problem. I'm from Canada (BC) and I believe they only give you a three month visitor stamp on your passport when you enter the USA. Does anyone know more on that? Any Canadians have any or no trouble hiking the entire thing? Seems to me you could probably do it without worry but I've talked to a few other canuks and they've only hiked sections....most likely for this very reason. Well thanks for your help.

SouthMark
09-10-2010, 12:37
Met a father and son from Winnipeg two weeks ago in the 100 mile wilderness finishing their thru hike.

couscous
09-10-2010, 12:46
You'll probably need a B-2 Visa which is good for 6-12 months, with a possible 6 month extension. U.S. Embassy in Vancouver (http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/vancouver.asp) - Nonimmigrant Visa Application (https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/)
You might find ma & pa's (http://hikers99.homestead.com/index.html) journal interesting.. they spent 5 months on the trail in 1999.
So you would be about 2000km west of "Dog River" .. I've got all the DVDs.

JAK
09-10-2010, 12:50
I think you can get special permission to stay longer than 3 months if you tell them exactly what you are doing, and assure them that you will not be working or changing you plans. What the want mostly is a more or less fixed return date, and fixed travel plans. Still, it might come down to the person at the border. Crossing from New Brunswick into Maine they would be familiar with the AT. Crossing at a busy airport in Vancouver you would have more issues. I hate crossing at airports. If I cross by road if there are issues there is no rush to sort them out and I can always return home if I need more paperwork or whatever.

Canada_dan
09-10-2010, 14:45
Hey thanks for the visa info, I don't know much about travelling to the states....only been to airports (san francisco, LAX) on the way to New Zealand and Australia. Yeah I think I'll try for that non-migrant visa.....US customs scare the hell out of me, when I got back to canada (in march)they didn't even ask what I was doing, just where I was and thats all!

Canada_dan
09-10-2010, 14:47
Oh, and to Couscous.....I didn't know they show "Corner gas" down there....they all watch it religiously down under. You must know about trailer park boys then eh?

couscous
09-10-2010, 16:02
Yep .. and I've got Strange Brew & Two-Four Anniversary & most of the Red Green stuff. "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" - Red Green

ChinMusic
09-10-2010, 16:17
Just enter across our southern border and no one will question you.....:cool:

I know that tons of folks have thru-hiked the AT from abroad. If they were granted the correct paperwork I'm sure you won't have any issues.

I'm headed to Manitoba in a couple weeks.

Mags
09-10-2010, 16:34
Lack of poutine?

JAK
09-10-2010, 16:43
Serious lack of poutine, lol, and donairs. The beer situation has improved seriously over the last 30 years though. Not that I don't like American lager on a hot day, just that there is more to life. Say want you want about all those liberal commies in the seattle area, but I think they were the ones that brought in the microbreweries. American pizza is way better than ours in my opinion, and usually much cheaper.

BBQ... Don't get me started on Southern BBQ...
I'm choking up...
I can't write anymore.

Talk amongst youselves.

Mrs Baggins
09-10-2010, 18:06
Lack of poutine?

We finally tried Poutine (lived in Montreal for a year and didn't try it) last week. It wasn't terrible, definitely better than what we imagined, but we all (hubby, son and me) said we probably wouldn't order it again. Actually my son, unable to translate the french menu at the burger place, ordered it by mistake as part of a combo meal :) But then I'm a fries purist - just salt. No ketchup or anything else. I can see how it would give you a nice fat padding for the winter!

Mrs Baggins
09-10-2010, 18:09
Oh, and to Couscous.....I didn't know they show "Corner gas" down there....they all watch it religiously down under. You must know about trailer park boys then eh?

Watched it during my 3 week stay in Montreal recently. Reminded me of the old "Northern Exposure" series. Great fun! And it was in English! That doesn't happen a lot on Montreal TV.

leaftye
09-10-2010, 18:19
Just enter across our southern border and no one will question you.....:cool:

Unless you are a pale American. My brother and I have been caught several times. One time a whirly bird circled me and an elderly pale skinned hiker for ten minutes. I certainly can't complain about the time I was questioned by a super cute BP agent. Oops, this is irrelevant.

I bumped into a couple of canadian hikers on the pct this year. My group found one of them to be unpleasant so I'm having a bit of a time remembering much about them. I'll post again if I can find their journal.

Hooch
09-10-2010, 20:25
Just go hike. INS ain't gonna chase you down on the trail. :rolleyes:

Daydream Believer
09-11-2010, 07:24
This couple, The Canadian Geese, have been on the trail for months. I've been following their journals and they just entered Maine. They are an amazing pair!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8813

trixie
09-11-2010, 08:30
Wow Red Green - haven't seen that in ages!

Odd Man Out
09-11-2010, 19:38
Learned about poutine about 20 years ago when we visited a friend living in Montreal. I asked her if there was some sort of local specialty we should try in the local restaurants and she just laughed.

leaftye
09-11-2010, 23:00

No need. We just got a fancy new drone.

IronGutsTommy
09-12-2010, 00:25
strange brews classic. the red green show i find on alot, late night. not sure the channel. never csred much for corner gas. it had its moments. for quirky humor, a good episode of scrubs never hurts

Old Hiker
09-14-2010, 12:00

If nothing else, you'll get a free ride back home!

Old Hiker
09-14-2010, 12:02
Lack of poutine?

Retired military - eyebrows went up and over my head when I read this. :eek: Good thing I read further: beer, just beer! Whew!

Beer, right? Right?? <*crickets chirping in the background*> ;)

Suttree
09-14-2010, 14:41
Canadians do not require a visa so long as they stay less than six months

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/canadians.asp

Carry your passport at all times and be ready to show proof of sufficient funds at the airport/border. It might be helpful to have your maps/guidebook accessible to confirm you are indeed hiking a long trail.

This information is based on my personal experience hiking the AT in 2009 and the PCT this year.

-ed
(Toronto, ON)

Mags
09-15-2010, 00:12
Retired military - eyebrows went up and over my head when I read this. :eek:

Er...um..ah..different word you are thinking of...

Poutine is a Quebecois dish that is found all over Canada now.

The polite translation is "garbage cheese"...

Fries, cheese curds and gravy.

It is a gut bomb and a half..but oh so good for winter months.

IronGutsTommy
09-15-2010, 00:36
it is amazing, i make it at the restaurant im at in michigan, sells well too. but michiganers love them some curds and are glad to not have to go to A&W to get their fix. i make a chicken/syrup gravy for chicken and waffles but they love that on fries as well. crazy kids