PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle NOC to New Found Gap??

wornoutboots
09-10-2010, 17:44
Is it easy to hitchhike from NOC to NF Gap? If not what are my Shuttle options? BTW - it will be @ the 11th, 12th or 13th of October

Peace

restless
09-10-2010, 18:47
That would be a difficult hitch, if not impossible. Not sure if NOC runs shuttles but if you look elsewhere on this site, or check out ALDHA's website you should be able to find something.

generoll
09-10-2010, 19:09
check out the shuttle bus from Cherokee. I think they have a daily scheduled run up to Newfound Gap. The folks at the Hike Inn near the NOC will shuttle you to Cherokee or all the way to Newfound if you want to pay for it. I'LL shuttle you there if you want to pay for it.

cowpoke
09-10-2010, 19:30
Call Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn in Fontana...not actually in Fontana but close...cheers

wornoutboots
09-11-2010, 17:55
check out the shuttle bus from Cherokee. I think they have a daily scheduled run up to Newfound Gap. The folks at the Hike Inn near the NOC will shuttle you to Cherokee or all the way to Newfound if you want to pay for it. I'LL shuttle you there if you want to pay for it.

So it may be better to make it a 2 part hitch? NOC to Cherokee then Cherokee to NF Gap?

generoll
09-11-2010, 18:10
check the shuttle bus info out of Cherokee to NF gap. The simplest solution is what was already mentioned. Have the folks from the Hike Inn shuttle you to NF.

restless
09-11-2010, 18:23
So it may be better to make it a 2 part hitch? NOC to Cherokee then Cherokee to NF Gap?

Only if you're too cheap to pay for a shuttle. A shuttle would be a lot less hassle and would get you to the trailhead quicker. Hitch's are no guarantee, especially during the fall season when a majority of the people going into the park will be geriatric, leaf-peeping tourons who generall ydon't pick up hitchhikers. I know, I'm from the Smokies. Take mine and others advice-pay for the shuttle.

wornoutboots
09-11-2010, 18:40
I'm pretty cheap but I"ll take your advise. Hey you don't have to tell me 15 times......or do you : ) Thanks

wornoutboots
09-11-2010, 18:47
Anyone one else needing this Cherokee Shuttle info here is the link http://www.cherokeetransit.com/

10-K
09-11-2010, 20:07

I'll shuttle anybody anywhere if they want to pay for it.

I'll also add that everything I have is for sale except for my wife and kids. :)

restless
09-11-2010, 20:39
Anyone one else needing this Cherokee Shuttle info here is the link http://www.cherokeetransit.com/

Check their schedule out pretty close- they don't make a stop at Newfound Gap.

BSF-Hiker
09-11-2010, 20:42
This is hidden in the fine print:

"The route runs through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on Newfound Gap Road (US Hwy. 441). There will be a 10-minute stop at Newfound Gap for photos, etc., on the daytime run."

You might have to pay the full fare to Gatlinburg, but jump off at Newfound Gap.

wornoutboots
10-12-2010, 10:45
The AT worked it's Trail Magic! The last night at Sassafrass Shelter a women was there who just got on the trail & her car was at the NOC & she was headed to NF Gap, she said why dont you just take my car & leave it at New Found Gap where she needed it. Snice