PDA

View Full Version : shuttles, cash or check?

Egads
09-11-2010, 08:40
What's the etiquette for payment? Is a check ever acceptable?
I just paid for a shuttle with combo of cash & check since the bill was several hundred. Banks were closed & I don't carry an ATM card. The check is as good as cash. He was disappointed.

10-K
09-11-2010, 08:44
I've always done cash or credit card but I've also known about payment methods prior to making the shuttle arrangements.

Ask what payment methods are available when you before or when schedule the shuttle.

generoll
09-11-2010, 09:08
cash works for me. I've never had a shuttle that was "several hundred". guess I live in the wrong part of the country. I did shuttle one guy out who claimed an injury and had no cash. He promised to mail me the money. Fool me once shame on you,.................

bigcranky
09-11-2010, 09:31
Not sure how I could hike without an ATM/debit card, but in any case I would have made sure of payment options in advance. The last expensive shuttle I had took credit cards in advance. Good idea, from the shuttler's perspective, and makes it easier on the hiker.

weary
09-11-2010, 11:32
I've always done cash or credit card but I've also known about payment methods prior to making the shuttle arrangements.

Ask what payment methods are available when you before or when schedule the shuttle.
I find some small service type businesses prefer cash. It eliminates paper trails. Serving hikers especially tends to be a labor of love, not profit. Most rarely would come out ahead at the end of the years if they used standard accounting rules.

Don H
09-11-2010, 12:05
I always have paid by cash. For a 100 mile section hike I've never paid more than $100 before tip.
Where to you go that cost several hundred dollars?

Phreak
09-11-2010, 14:07
I always have paid by cash. For a 100 mile section hike I've never paid more than $100 before tip.
Where to you go that cost several hundred dollars?
We were picked up in Blowing Rock, driven to Pisgah Inn to pickup some gear we left behind, and then to Cherokee, NC. It was a long shuttle.

Miner
09-11-2010, 15:10
A check is NOT good as cash since a check can bounce or be frauduent (I've been on the receiving end of this too many times). People write bad checks all the time which is why many businesses don't take them. Just from your comment about his reaction, it sounds like he only reluctantly took it from you since he didn't have a choice if he wanted to be paid. I hope you asked your shuttle driver ahead of time about giving him a check because otherwise it wasn't a nice thing to do. I always pay cash or by credit card if they have a way to take it. I always ask ahead of time for the approx. cost so I know how much to bring.

hontassquirt
09-11-2010, 16:25
what's everyone's tip % they normally give?

jesse
09-11-2010, 16:36
Checks??? I haven't seen my checkbook in years.

Ranc0r
09-11-2010, 17:11
Yeah, I'm not humping my checkbook around. If a credit/debit card isn't part of your daily life, then at least consider a pre-paid debit card for a thru. Maybe, MAYBE, traveler's checks, but I consider those a cash-substitute, or a means of getting cash without incurring cash-advance fees on a credit card. Likely a good way to recharge the pre-paid card, since traveler's checks really ARE just like cash, and many pre-pay cards MUST be re-charged with a cash purchase - can't put credit on a credit card and pay with another credit card, in many states.

I tip 15-20% as a rule, more if the service provider goes above and beyond, less if they provide poor service or otherwise leave me with a bad experience. Restaurant or cab, shuttle or bar. 'Course I also believe in a $2 minimum tip, unless service was exceptionally crappy.

Hike your own hike, but please tip the bartender.

Ranc0r

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2010, 17:11
Having worked in and run several small businesses over the years I concur with the folks that have said that a lot of folks don't want to have to deal with personal checks, out-of-state checks, etc. A check is a promise of payment and that's ALL it is. Problem is, a lot of these promises are no good and are very difficult to collect on later.

As 10-K said above, check ahead of time with your shuttler or provider, especially if the amount is large. To expect a complete stranger to accept a personal check, especially an out-of-state one, for a large amount of money, is asking a lot.

Most shuttlers prefer cash. Those customers who wish to do so can always ask for a receipt if they feel this is in any way irregular.

generoll
09-11-2010, 18:12
hikers give tips?

Tractor
09-11-2010, 18:21
No cash, or not enough? Bring that ATM/credit card next trip. You/they can always find an ATM machine. I, too, have been on the receiving end of some of those worthless checks and it is no fun, for me, let alone the wait for the bad news....... "Money is in the bank" doesn't mean it will still be there when my bank wants to get theirs/ours. Twenty+ years ago I would accept or deny based on gut but not anymore.

10-K
09-11-2010, 18:31
When Earl picked me up to go to The Cabin in Maine he point blank asked me if I needed to go to an ATM almost as soon as I got in the truck.

Walkie Talkie
09-11-2010, 18:37
No tips here.

generoll
09-11-2010, 20:33
sounds like Earl is a wise man. I learned my lesson the hard way. A friend of mine told me a story about one of his shuttles. When they got to the destination the hiker said he didn't have the money but would mail a check. The shuttler threw his pack back in the car and told the hiker he'd send it on as soon as the check arrived if the hiker included enough money for shipping.

Big Dawg
09-12-2010, 08:38
what's everyone's tip % they normally give?

0%...........

Don H
09-12-2010, 08:56
As long as they are on time picking me up I'll tip them, usually about 20%.

bigcranky
09-12-2010, 09:51
Shuttling hikers isn't the most lucrative business, and some of the shuttle drivers I've had are just employees of the outfitter making their usual low wages. So a nice tip is appreciated and appropriate. 20% is reasonable.

kayak karl
09-12-2010, 09:57
only EX's get checks:D

Nazarene
09-12-2010, 10:34
A shuttle for several hundred?????? I've never taken a shuttle, but am scheduled for one in October. I think it's about 20 miles. How much do you think that will cost??? The guy never mentioned payment, but I was planning on paying him anyway. Suggestions???

10-K
09-12-2010, 10:50
A shuttle for several hundred?????? I've never taken a shuttle, but am scheduled for one in October. I think it's about 20 miles. How much do you think that will cost??? The guy never mentioned payment, but I was planning on paying him anyway. Suggestions???

Just ask... Average would be $20 for a normal shuttle. If you're hooked up with an "All miles driven" service double it.

generoll
09-12-2010, 11:03
I charge based upon from my house to destination(s) to my house. hourly rate with an upward bias for off paved roads. I tell people that if they want to figure out the cost go to mapquest and work it out for themselves.

weary
09-12-2010, 11:08
sounds like Earl is a wise man. I learned my lesson the hard way. A friend of mine told me a story about one of his shuttles. When they got to the destination the hiker said he didn't have the money but would mail a check. The shuttler threw his pack back in the car and told the hiker he'd send it on as soon as the check arrived if the hiker included enough money for shipping.
Earle and Marge have also taken in hikers with no money as long as they are honest and upfront about it. Quite often, they have found that the hiker will do as they have promised and send the money when they get home.

The Cabin is more of a hobby than a business as near as I can tell. Trail maintainers always get to stay for free, for instance. But Marge and Earle are long retired. They have very limited funds. The "business" has to at least break even.

Weary

Nazarene
09-12-2010, 11:12
Cool. Thanks!

10-K
09-12-2010, 11:18
Earle and Marge have also taken in hikers with no money as long as they are honest and upfront about it. Quite often, they have found that the hiker will do as they have promised and send the money when they get home.

The Cabin is more of a hobby than a business as near as I can tell. Trail maintainers always get to stay for free, for instance. But Marge and Earle are long retired. They have very limited funds. The "business" has to at least break even.

Weary

Yeah, by the time I left and heard Earl's stories about how many people he helped or gave services to for free I was pretty certain I was the only person he charged full price to in the last 20 years. Kinda made me feel like a patsy really.

When I left I overpaid the amount due enough to cover one nights lodging for hiker that might come in behind me with no money so it ended well.

If I were to go through Andover again I'd check out Pine Ellis.

weary
09-12-2010, 11:51
Yeah, by the time I left and heard Earl's stories about how many people he helped or gave services to for free I was pretty certain I was the only person he charged full price to in the last 20 years. Kinda made me feel like a patsy really.

When I left I overpaid the amount due enough to cover one nights lodging for hiker that might come in behind me with no money so it ended well.

If I were to go through Andover again I'd check out Pine Ellis.
Most people pay full price. It's just that they like people and recognize that by the time hikers reach Maine many are approaching being broke, which both have been at various times in the past.

Weary