PDA

View Full Version : Whisperlite ?

Loneoak
09-11-2010, 11:35
Just purchased a used whisperlite at a garage sale for $20. I have read some reviews on these and it seems they are well liked. My questions are, are there anythings I need to be concerned with as far as using different fuels, what size pots work best.
Any comments are welcome, thanks.

Don H
09-11-2010, 11:58
Depends on how old it is. If it's a Whisperlite International it will take other fuels. If not white gas, Coleman type fuel only. I've got one of the early ones that just uses white gas and I had to replace the pump after about 30 years. Sometimes the little jet that the fuel comes out of needs to be cleaned, the repair kit has a wire tool for that. If you have one with the shaker jet in it you just shake the stove since the little wire cleaner is inside the jet. You can get the owners manual online at: cascadedesigns.com

Spokes
09-11-2010, 12:06
Great little stove for car camping. Sounds like you got a deal.

10-K
09-11-2010, 12:06
Here's a picture of someone getting ready to light one: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://weblogs.dailypress.com/news/military/momsblog/bomb%2520suit%25201.JPG&imgrefurl=http://weblogs.dailypress.com/news/military/momsblog/2009/03/&h=750&w=1050&sz=343&tbnid=q1s_difch5I1YM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbomb%2Bsuit&zoom=1&q=bomb+suit&hl=en&usg=__GOGAGvt2yttpcxHVKgjEtzg80r4=&sa=X&ei=uqiLTI6SMsO88gaKnPCbDA&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQ9QEwBw

Don H
09-11-2010, 12:12
Must have overfilled the primer cup!
There's several demos on Youtube.

Hikes in Rain
09-11-2010, 12:32
One little trick I like with mine is to use alcohol in the primer cup instead of white gas or Coleman fuel. Much less soot buildup on the outside of the stove.

Once you fire it up, you'll find it's miss-named! Especially if you're the first one up. It is fun to watch the heads pop up out of the sleeping bags trying to catch a glimpse of the low-flying jet!

weary
09-11-2010, 12:43
One little trick I like with mine is to use alcohol in the primer cup instead of white gas or Coleman fuel. Much less soot buildup on the outside of the stove.

Once you fire it up, you'll find it's miss-named! Especially if you're the first one up. It is fun to watch the heads pop up out of the sleeping bags trying to catch a glimpse of the low-flying jet!
It was quiet compared to the svea and its brethren, which were what most people used before the Whisperlight came along.

I've owned whisperlights from almost the beginning. Though my favorites now are the zip stove for long trips and propane for quick overnight excursions, and when open fires are banned.

Weary

Cooldays
09-11-2010, 12:49
I've had one forever and consider it very reliable. sometimes its a little unstable when you are pumping/priming fuel and you can get flare ups but this is also some of the fun of it. Its a very clever design and worked well for me in freezing temps as well. I think a little broader bottom pot is better than a mug pot or heine type pot for balance reasons on the stand.

Loneoak
09-11-2010, 13:47
Thanks for the replies, it is a International, but guessing coleman fuel is still my best choice?
Would HEET be ok for a primer as well, that is what I have been using in my alcohol stoves ?

Hikes in Rain
09-11-2010, 13:53
Heet would work just fine. It's alcohol.

My Whisperlite was one of the originals, as well. Only failed me once, and that was my fault. (Lack of proper maintenance) Still a fine stove, and I like it very much.

walkin' wally
09-11-2010, 15:47

Those were my two issues with the Whisperlight. No big deals but it was noisier than I thought it would be and definitely sooty. I did not use alcohol for priming and I had a few impressive flareups when priming. I still have my stove.
I don't use it and I don't miss the soot. It is more of a weight issue now. On the plus side it has a lot of power and you don't measure out fuel by the ounce.

brotheral
09-11-2010, 16:25
That's a good price for a very reliable stove, if it's in good condition with all the parts. Best to use pot with a wider, appx 5"- 6", bottom and white gas / coleman fuel. Never had any trouble with my shaker jet model.

camper10469
09-11-2010, 18:39
Something I picked up by experiance. Make sure it is pumped till it is rock hard. The when priming, turn the valve on and when you hear the hisss, turn it off. That should be enough fuel in teh cup to prime it. Light her up n keep an eye on the cup, just before the flame goes out, turn on the stove and off you go.

If you get big yellow flames, don't panic, just shut it off. You didn't let it prime long enough n will have to do it over again. No big deal and whatever you do don't throw the stove like lots of jerks say they did or as seen in the you-tube videos.

Toolshed
09-11-2010, 19:12
Just purchased a used whisperlite at a garage sale for $20. I have read some reviews on these and it seems they are well liked. My questions are, are there anythings I need to be concerned with as far as using different fuels, what size pots work best.
Any comments are welcome, thanks.
Nice Stove - It was my first "ultra-cool" backpacking stove. If it is the standard W-lite, then you simple need Coleman fuel or some other proprietary brand of "white" gas. It isn't a good idea to use RUL (or some other auto fuel) in these as the jets on this stove weren't designed to be cleared easily of any impurities or obstructions.

I always considered trying alcohol or a starter paste, but I could never get over the idea of having to carry something to prime the stove with. In fact, I removed the wicking material from around the primer cup so that when I do Prime I could easily see how many drops were in the primer cup. I have heard folks complain and folks praise. (I am on the praise side).

You might find the o-rings and washers on the fuel pump port may need to be replaced - MSR does make a maintenance kit for it.

Have fun with it!!

Graywolf
09-11-2010, 20:21
Purchased mine in 1990. Still have it.. Works like a dandy.. Fell out of the canoe once (my fault) and managed to fish it out of the river. Still worked great after it was dried out. Noisey, yes, but this little stove is winner in my book.

Just one little ditty. Get the maintence kit. Every now and then you may need to clean up the jets a little and replace parts, but that is every now and a LONG then...It is a very durable stove. Colin Fletcher thought highly of them too.

tzbrown
09-11-2010, 20:34
Once you get the hang of it you can simmer with this stove very well also.

Only put enough air in the tank to make it prime, and then after it is going use minimal air to keep it going.

I have also found that when turning it off, if you blow out the flame there will be less soot on the stove, and less cleaning of the fuel cable inside the line required.

brotheral
09-12-2010, 06:24
As TZ Brown stated you can simmer just fine with a little practice. Cooked many "Lipton Sides" with mine...:)

peakbagger
09-12-2010, 08:32
One little detail on setting it up that can save you grief. There is an oring on the part that plugs into the pump. If you put a slight amount of silicone grease on it, it should last a real long time. If you dont grease it, it will work fine for awhile, until one day when it will leak. Unless you have a magnifying lens, the oring look fine but it is actually damaged. If you have the repair kit, there is a spare O-ring, but greasing the O-ring rather than sliding it in dry is a lot easier than doing a field repair.

While you are greasing things, a little grease on the pump cup never hurts.

Spokes
09-12-2010, 09:17
Q- How many shelter floors have "whisperlite tattoos" ?

A- All of them

bigcranky
09-12-2010, 09:48
Depending on the age of the stove, and the storage conditions, you might want to do some pressure testing outside on a nice fireproof surface -- I use my concrete driveway. Put the stove together, pump it up, and let it sit for a few minutes. Is any fuel dripping out of the bottle or the pump assembly? If so, STOP -- your stove pump needs maintenance. If not, go ahead and light it, but keep an eye out for flames coming from anywhere along the fuel line or around the pump. Again, anything like that requires some maintenance on the pump assembly. (The maintenance kit is not expensive.)

The o-rings on the pump assembly will dry out over time. Also, the leather cup in the pump will dry out and all the pumping in the world won't pressurize the stove. These are both easily fixed with the kit.

Tinker
09-13-2010, 00:08
I've owned a Whisperlite since 1987, and it's my go-to winter stove for group hiking.
One tip I'll give you is to blow out the little flame that comes out of the jet after you turn the stove. That little yellow flame causes a whole bunch of soot buildup. If you blow it out, unburned fuel and air come out for a few seconds until the pressure in the preheat tube drops, and you will have fewer soot problems.

Graywolf
09-13-2010, 13:58
Q- How many shelter floors have "whisperlite tattoos" ?

A- All of them

I have to disagree here. The Whisperlite is on a stand which keeps it up off the floor. BUT, alcohol stoves (which i do use. Not putting them down) unless you have something to put them on, rest neatly on the floor. They get hot enough to put a little burn ring on the tables and floors. I know. I tested this with my trangia. I have a neat little "ring" on my picnic table in my back yard...

Graywolf
09-13-2010, 14:01
One little detail on setting it up that can save you grief. There is an oring on the part that plugs into the pump. If you put a slight amount of silicone grease on it, it should last a real long time. If you dont grease it, it will work fine for awhile, until one day when it will leak. Unless you have a magnifying lens, the oring look fine but it is actually damaged. If you have the repair kit, there is a spare O-ring, but greasing the O-ring rather than sliding it in dry is a lot easier than doing a field repair.

While you are greasing things, a little grease on the pump cup never hurts.

This technique is also mentioned in Colin Fletchers "Complete Walker 111". I never done it, but it does seem obvious. Most seals are usually used with some kind of lubricant to help protect it

brotheral
09-13-2010, 14:48
I have to disagree here. The Whisperlite is on a stand which keeps it up off the floor. BUT, alcohol stoves (which i do use. Not putting them down) unless you have something to put them on, rest neatly on the floor. They get hot enough to put a little burn ring on the tables and floors. I know. I tested this with my trangia. I have a neat little "ring" on my picnic table in my back yard...

I was struggling with that too. I just figured Spokes knew his stuff :-? I never left any "Tatoos" with mine...

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 14:56
Definitely a good garage sale find. And yes as other people have said there are 2 different kinds of Whisperlites, if not 3. Some can take different fuels, some only white gas, and others can use different fuels (ranging anywhere from jet fuel to diesel and white gas).

chiefiepoo
09-13-2010, 22:11
I've had this type of stove for over 10 years. Good, reliable and a real attention getter when you dump too much fuel into the priming cup.
Two thoughts to share.
Living in Fl where ambient temperatures are moderate I test the stove before heading out to colder regions in the fall. Put it in the freezer for a few hours and take it out and run through the pumping and priming sequence. Found a few weak o ring seals doing this. Might be a good pre trip check no matter where you live.
Second, I had to replace the pump assembly due to a hairline crack in the housing where the metal twist valve is seated. I think this may have been caused by me over tightening the valve in the closed position. It was leaking fuel very badly.

Dkeener
09-18-2010, 11:19
Wisperlite is the gold standard of white gas stoves. Replacement parts are available to completely rebuild them if necessary. Fuel is now available in less than gallon size and in a pinch you can use auto gas.

Dennis