PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway

Egads
09-11-2010, 12:10
Bikepacking
Phreak & I just finished cycling the Blue Ridge Parkway section from Okanaluftee visitors center to Blowing Rock in 4 days. Pretty awesome ride. ~17,780 feet of climbs, 189 mi with side trips, 13.1 mph avg, 44.3 mph max on the racer (2 sport was faster but had no computer), dropped 1.8 lbs (disappointment - was hoping for 4 lbs)

He rode a 2 sport with rack bag, handlebar bag, and backpack. Heavy bike but enough gears to climb a 30% grade. Bike hauled ass on the descents.

I rode a carbon fiber racer with saddlebag & backpack. Gearing 52/42 - 25/11. The CF racer out climbed the 2 sport bike due to weight advantage

Lessons Learned:
1. Ride on weekdays when the traffic is light

2. The weather (temps) is awesome the week after Labor Day

3. Hotels & Inns discounted their rooms the week after Labor Day

4. Start early every day to maximize recovery for next day. We were done with our rides by lunchtime every day except the first day when we rode 62 mi from the GSMNP visitors center to Pisgah Inn. This section had over 8500 ft of climbs up to 7% grade

5. Leave the camping gear behind. We dropped food, stoves, extra clothing at the Pisgah Inn. Hotels & Inns are close enough to each other to ride w/o the gear.

6. Be sure to pack wind shirts & light hats for the descents

7. I carried 155 oz of water on our first day. It was not enough. We were wise to cache water at the 1/3 & 2/3 points

8. Keep the effort in the aerobic zone 3. There are 18 mile climbs

9. Eat often. Gu is a wonder food to keep you energized for the climbs

10. Try to keep the weight off the back. Our first day had ~20# packs & sore backs. Our last day had ~10# packs and was much better

11. Don't forget the rear red blinkies & head lights. There are scores of long dark tunnels.

daddytwosticks
09-11-2010, 12:47
Very cool! Sounds like you had a blast. Thanks for sharing. :)

garlic08
09-11-2010, 13:24
Excellent! I recently applied lessons learned from backpacking to a bike tour, too. Dropping the weight helps tremendously.

scottminot
09-11-2010, 16:13
Awesome! I've driven most of the parkway. I've been an avid cyclist for 22 years and would love to ride the entire B.R.P.

modiyooch
09-11-2010, 21:41
The Mountain to Sea trail follows that route for the most part. Resupply is difficult for backpacking. Parkway is beautiful. Behind the scenes is even prettier.

The Solemates
09-11-2010, 23:42
i've always wanted to bike the parkway. so much to do...so little time. looks like you guys had fun!

DapperD
09-12-2010, 22:22
Awesome! I've driven most of the parkway. I've been an avid cyclist for 22 years and would love to ride the entire B.R.P.I've also driven most of it. Must be great to bike it! I think though no matter how you enjoy it, it will always be great!:sun:D

Johnny Thunder
09-12-2010, 22:24
that sounds like a great trip. my partner and i did asheville to damascus (and back) as 4 days this past spring...and asheville to mt michell as a two day.

i agree that you need to have as little (or even no) weight on your back as possible. for light weight gear it's cheap to get a basic rack and strap your pack to the top. paniers can be expensive but are a lifesaver. i can't imagine riding 10 hours bent over with weight on my back.

also, rain gear is surprisingly useful on bikes (in a way that it isn't while hiking). haven't used rain pants yet but will probably later this year as my new gig has me commuting by bike (summer and winter).

next week jess and i take off for a week on jeju (the largest island off of korea) for about 220 km of vacation touring.

I highly recommend you sink the cash into a dedicated tourer and some solid panniers. my ortlieb's are downright amazing. and the bike makes it enjoyable.