PDA

View Full Version : For tent specifications, I've seen weight listed as...

nawlunz
09-11-2010, 14:39
"trail weight" and "packed weight"..there seems to be significant differences. What exactly IS the differences?

MkBibble
09-11-2010, 16:10
as i understand it, the packed weight includes all items supplied with the tent (stakes, paperwork, sacks, etc.), while trail weight (minimum weight) is strictly the bare essentials.

johnnybgood
09-11-2010, 16:54
Trail weight is the tent with poles & stakes. -- no pole bag or stake bag , seal kit , guylines and setup directions which would be included at time of purchase.

Reid
09-11-2010, 17:03
The weights are never exact anyway. It's just a marketing ploy if you ask me.

stranger
09-19-2010, 22:46
My understanding is the following...packaged weight is everything all up, everything the tent comes with, pegs, poles, stuff sacks, repair kit, rubber bands, tags, tent manual, seam sealer, sometimes including the box it's shipped in.

Trail weight is generally just the tent itself, meaning...tent, fly, poles only.

As others have said, these weights are rarely accurate. When I worked at Campmor we used to pull out the tents and weigh them on our postage scales, often, there was a Campmor weight as well?

Also remember, the real weight of any tent is how much the tent weighs when it's wet, cause it's going to be damp or wet every single morning in many areas!