PDA

View Full Version : SNP at the end of October

Missadventure
09-12-2010, 08:10
Hi,
Am planning a hike through SNP for the last week of October. I will be carrying a day pack only, and my intent is to get off the trail at the end of each day. I would like to start from Rockfish Gap and head toward Front Royal - depnding on my days out and how far I hike each day, will go as far North as I can get in the time I have. I hope to do 15 or so miles per day.
I would greatly appreciate any advice on an itinerary - ie. places to get off the trail to get food, sleep (don't care if I sleep in my car). I contacted MV shuttle and got info from them on costs, but would also appreciate any other suggestions on shuttles - if anyone has had good experience with one or another, etc. Will also check on ATC website for shuttle info.
Thanks for any advice anyone can give - if anyone wants to join me during that time, let me know!
Karen

Bucherm
09-13-2010, 02:19
That doesn't sound very fun.

Bucherm
09-13-2010, 03:14
I suppose I should give a response with more substance.

Why are you, essentially, just doing a long string of Day hikes? Day Hikes are fine, and I've day-hiked all over the Northern and Central sections of SNP(mostly blue trails), but if you're planning on hiking the length, why not spend the nights in the woods? It's a damn odd thing, in my mind.

I mean, Hiking 8 hours and then farting around waiting for a shuttle? Then trying to shuttle in the next morning? You're now taking your schedule out of your hands and placing them in someone else's.

Missadventure
09-13-2010, 05:24
Unable to backpack due to back issues - can walk as far as I want to, though. Have section-hiked four states so far on day hikes, and have had a great time. This is the way I will get it done.

Bucherm
09-13-2010, 05:27
Roger, I'm tracking. Seems that relying on shuttling services every day would be expensive though...

Missadventure
09-13-2010, 06:07
yep, it will be - that is why I want to see what options are out there for shuttles

dcmidnight
09-13-2010, 08:49
IMO this is going to be extremely expensive and I'm not even sure how it would be done in that I dont know where you would be staying every day.

For comparisons sake I did an overnight from Thornton Gap to Front Royal and had MV drive me from FR->TG. It was $65 and that was a one way, relatively short drive since they charge per mile driven not just per mile driven when you are in the car. So for going all over SNP 7 days in a row?

Also at the end of October most waysides will be closed so you will not have resupply options on the trail.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 10:53
Unable to backpack due to back issues - can walk as far as I want to, though. Have section-hiked four states so far on day hikes, and have had a great time. This is the way I will get it done.

Not knowing what your back problems or limitations are, but for the future if you rehabilitate to the point where medically you're capable of backpacking, I have found my Aarn pack to really help. They combine a backpack and front pack to balance the load so you walk more upright instead of the slight lean required to balance a normal pack. The suspension system transfers virtually all the weight including the front packs to the hipbelt below the spinal lumbar joints. For reference, I've had 3 blown disks (HNP's) at different levels (all lumbar) and this pack technology really helped me.

http://www.aarnusa.com/

http://aarnpacks.com/

Missadventure
09-13-2010, 11:22
thanks for all the feedback