PDA

View Full Version : BMT thru hike

10-K
09-12-2010, 10:24
Well.. my plans for the rest of the year and first few months of 2011 are to bite off as much of the MST trail as I can, hike as many trails in CNF and PNF as I'm able and run all the trail races nearby that I can get to.

In April 2011, just after tax day, I am planning to start a thru hike of the BMT starting at Springer. I always figured mid-April would be a good time to start an AT thru hike so I'm guessing it'd also be a good time to start the BMT.

I've got Sgt. Rocks guide - anything else I should be looking at? I've got the Nat Geo map #229 and I'm thinking there's one more I need. Also, I know there is a BMT guide but I wonder if an update is coming out before next April - I'd hate to buy one now and have a new one come out just after.

I've been reading about the BMT a bit and going back through the old messages in this forum. My only concern is getting lost somewhere but I'm probably over-worrying about it.. If other people have hiked it I figure I can too.

kayak karl
09-12-2010, 10:36
im leaving 1/1 or 2/1 depending on work. i like Rock's guide for the BMT. blown snow is the worst. if it sticks to trees it covers blazes. carry a topo of the area, can't get lost then.

10-K
09-12-2010, 10:48
Didn't you start an AT thru in January once? I'd like to try that once. It'd be a crap shoot I reckon being at the mercy of the weather and all.

kayak karl
09-12-2010, 10:56
Didn't you start an AT thru in January once? I'd like to try that once. It'd be a crap shoot I reckon being at the mercy of the weather and all.weather was so-so but the lose in weight killed me:). i know more about calorie intake now and my pack is MUCH lighter.

Bearpaw
09-12-2010, 11:31
Besides map # 229 (Great Smoky Mountains), you'll also want #777 (Springer & Cohutta Mountains) for the Georgia section and #781 (Cherokee National Forest) for the TN/NC portion south of the Park. You may have to buy #777 as a two-map set, but the second map in the set does not include any part of the BMT.

JAK
09-12-2010, 13:33
I would like to try the BMT some day. I can't see being able to do the whole AT, so for some reason it seems like the BMT would be something I could do that would still be completing something, which is silly really because these names and boundaries are somewhat arbitrary. Anyhow, I've always liked the Rock's accounts of the BMT. Parts of the southern AT are very appealling also though. Is Damascus far from the BMT? It would be nice to end a hike in Damascus.

JAK
09-12-2010, 13:35
I think I will check out the Rock's journal again, where he did Springer to Damascus via the BMT if I recall. Is there a map where you can visualize one route vs the other?

JAK
09-12-2010, 13:46
Got it. Thanks to everyone that put that site together, and the BMT of course.
http://www.bmta.org/OverviewMap.htm
http://www.bmta.org

Bearpaw
09-12-2010, 13:49
I would like to try the BMT some day. I can't see being able to do the whole AT, so for some reason it seems like the BMT would be something I could do that would still be completing something, which is silly really because these names and boundaries are somewhat arbitrary. Anyhow, I've always liked the Rock's accounts of the BMT. Parts of the southern AT are very appealling also though. Is Damascus far from the BMT? It would be nice to end a hike in Damascus.

You could hike the full 287 miles of the BMT to where it rejoins the AT the last time at Davenport Gap on the northeast boundary of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. From there the AT is another 227 miles to Damascus. Your full hike would be 514 miles, plus side trips, road walks to resupply, and so forth.

I think I will check out the Rock's journal again, where he did Springer to Damascus via the BMT if I recall. Is there a map where you can visualize one route vs the other?

This map (http://www.bmta.org/pdfs/BMT-OverviewMap.pdf) shows the BMT (red line) versus the AT (orange dotted line) up to the BMT's end at Davenport Gap on the north edge of the Smokies.

JAK
09-12-2010, 13:57
Thanks Bearpaw. I think we posted about the same time.

I thinks its great the way these two great trails run parallel and cross. I hope it is the way of the future, rather than having just one narrow corrodor to have a network of intersecting and parallel trails and wilderness areas. Great for wildlife also. Ideally trails will extend right into and through towns and cities, not just trail towns, and even into major cities. It would be nice to see trail development go the other way and be more about nature developing its way back into civilization rather than always the other way. Anyhow, even if only this one part of the world gets it right, even part right, that is something.

royalusa
09-12-2010, 18:12
We just thru-hiked the BMT-AT loop in June. We used Sgt Rock's guidebook, the Nat Geo map #781 for the Cherokee National Forest Tellico & Ocoee Rivers area and the $1.00 GSMNP Trail Map that can be found at the ranger stations. We never felt the need for any other maps or guidebooks. Sgt Rock's guide book is awesome. We used the Nat Geo map #781 at 2 trail junctions where the trail signs were missing. The trail is very well marked, almost like the AT. Yes, you are probably over-worrying it, but we did too until we hiked it.

Our journal can be found here for more information, such as resupply strategy:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10946

Or if you have any questions, just PM us.

Have fun.

SGT Rock
09-12-2010, 18:57
I just got in from a hike up near Standing Indian on the AT. It looks like most folks answered your questions...

The BMT guides give detailed descriptions of each section. I don't know if it would be much use to you really. The TN/NC one is out and I don't expect them to update those annually. They are now working on a GA guide, but I have no idea when they may finish it. The BMT Data Book should be updated for 2011 but as far as I know now there aren't any serious changes to the mileages.

I plan to update the BMT Thru-Hikers Guide by April of next year. I'm putting in more town maps (and re-doing all the old ones) for the trail towns, the mileages will be updated to reflect any changes that will be in the 2011 Data Book. I've already been working some more new trail service providers, so the 2011 version should also have more options for the hiker to use. That said, you could do just fine most likely with the 2010 Thru-Hikers Guide if you had to.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost. You wouldn't be lost on the BMT, but you could go down the wrong trail a bit if you took a wrong turn. I recommend getting map #777, *781, and # 229 from Nat Geo. They wouldn't do for orienteering, but they are great for staying on the right trail at intersections.

Bati
09-12-2010, 20:48
Perhaps I have a different definition of lost, but I would be very concerned about getting lost on the BMT if you don't have a map or detailed directions. Since the trail is not consistently blazed and many signs have been vandalized by bears, you can go miles on the trial without knowing whether or not you're on the BMT or some other path. Finding your way through the Smokies by depending only on the signs at trail junctions to tell you which trail is the BMT would be almost impossible as not all junctions are marked. I noticed that in one place outside the Smokies turns at trail junctions were blazed with a single blaze and when the trail went straight it had double blazes. Turns off of forest roads are not always obvious. While you're not likely to be "lost in the woods", you could easily end up on the wrong trail and not realize it until the mistake costs you several miles. So bring your maps and a compass and check at each questionable intersection or whenever the sun seems to coming from the wrong direction. If you can negotiate the trail junctions, you'll be fine.

JAK
09-12-2010, 21:05
Bears vandalize???

Hmmm. I suppose they do.

The Vandals must feel honoured.
The Visigoths and Ostrogoths have yet one more thing to be envious about.

10-K
03-30-2011, 15:39
Well, despite fits and starts it looks like the original post I made on 9/12/10 is about to become a reality.

I've got all my maildrops packed up and will be sending them out early next week and on the morning of the April 11th I'll be leaving from Springer headed to Hot Springs via the BMT and AT.

I'm doing 4 drops (Cherrylog PO, Webb Bros, Green Cove Motel, and Motorcycle Motel at Deal's Gap). From there I'll hitch into Cherokee for resupply to get to Standing Bear Farm where I'll finally be stopping for the day/night and then on to Hot Springs to finish.

Got the maps, got the books, and got the BMT on my GPS - ready to roll.

royalusa
03-30-2011, 15:43
Have fun! Glad to see that the drop at Deal's Gap worked for you!!!!

mudhead
03-30-2011, 16:11
Are you taking that fancy barometer?

SGT Rock
03-30-2011, 19:31
Good luck. I hope I see you out there somewhere.

Hipneck
03-30-2011, 20:00
Have a great hike. If you need anything when passing through Coker Creek, the Upper Bald River WSA or Citico Creek Wilderness, give me a shout (865-617-4804)

10-K
03-30-2011, 20:22
Have fun! Glad to see that the drop at Deal's Gap worked for you!!!!

Me too.. will save a lot of time. I'd like to visit Jim and Nancy at The Hike Inn but usually when I get to a place like that I'm ready to go a few hours after I get there - not much to do but lay around and wait for tomorrow when you're out in the boonies like that. Might as well stay on the trail.

Are you taking that fancy barometer?

Sure thing - don't know why though... GPS has an altimeter and compass and I wear a watch.

Good luck. I hope I see you out there somewhere.

Are you going to be hiking - is there a chance I might run into you? That'd be pretty cool....

Have a great hike. If you need anything when passing through Coker Creek, the Upper Bald River WSA or Citico Creek Wilderness, give me a shout (865-617-4804)

Very nice, thanks. I'll put your number in the guide so I'll have it with me. Never know what might happen....

SGT Rock
03-30-2011, 20:55
Are you going to be hiking - is there a chance I might run into you? That'd be pretty cool....

I plan to be doing the Smokies section SOBO starting 29 April.