PDA

View Full Version : Problem at October Mountain Shelter

Prettywoman0172
09-12-2010, 11:29
My 13yr old daughter and I hiked into the October Mountain shelter yesterday afternoon and were greeted by "Chris" and his dog. We could see the whiskey bottles and smell the pot smoke, but we werent smart enough to just turn around and leave. It was already dark (we got a late start) and he seemed friendly enough. There were Chinese take out cartons all over the picnic table. He offered us some. We declined. He recommended we sleep in the loft and offered to help us put our packs up there. On the way down out of the loft he offered me a joint. I declined. He seemed harmless. Intoxicated but harmless.

We made dinner with the stove and while we were eating it he started.

We were called names and threatened. And it was AWFUL.

We eventually decided we had no choice but to hike back out of the woods in the dark.

I texted two friends and ask them to call the police.

We had no idea which way we had come in. At first we were running around in circles trying to find a white blaze while he stood and laughed at us. We found a blue blaze and just walked. Found a white blaze soon after. And walked some more.

He apparently followed us for a little while. But we didnt look back and didnt stop.

The whole story is here http://imaphoenixbaby.blogspot.com/2010/09/hell-at-october-mountain.html

I feel sick over this.

Ann

Bearpaw
09-12-2010, 11:45
I'm really sorry to hear about this. This sort of thing is very rare on the trail, but that doesn't make it any easier for you. I feel especially bad for your daughter. Be thankful the police caught him.

If the trail still calls to you, try to answer its call. Find friends to hike with if you need to. Eventually the trail can still be a place of peace for you. I'm wishing you all the best.

max patch
09-12-2010, 11:56
Congrats on turning your life around.

Chop
09-12-2010, 12:02
So sorry to hear about this Ann. I hope you are able to go back out and enjoy the woods with your daughter.

IronGutsTommy
09-12-2010, 12:02
yeah sorry to hear that. my radar went up just hearing about him. someone offering food is ok, but once they recommend where I should sleep, im out if im gonna let someone tell me how to hike, let them carry my pack. glad to see not much harm was done. i try to note the orientation of the shelter to the trail on my approach, that way i can always bug out quickly if needed and be headed in the right direction

Rain Man
09-12-2010, 12:05
I also am very sorry to hear/read about this! I've been hiking the AT since '03, much of it alone, and have never run into such a hiker. Though, perhaps being male, that helps me. Hikers who have to haul drugs (and alcohol is a drug) into the backwoods and on the AT are already operating with one strike against them. Plainly, this cretin continued down that path, to mix metaphors. A gun would only make matters worse. You did the right thing to leave the situation.

I hope this drunkard spends some time in jail. Good for you for reporting him, rather than leaving him to victimize the next person. Public intoxication is illegal and those folks should spend some time communing with the criminal justice system, as this is what happens until someone stands up for what's right. Good for you!

Please don't let it ruin hiking for you and your daughter. But if it does, there are plenty of other things for a mom and daughter to do together, so find one of those. Best to you both.

Rain Man

Luddite
09-12-2010, 12:07
I'm sorry that happened to you guys. Must have been scary. I wish people would like that would stay off the trail. Next time you see somebody drinking you should hike on. Drinkers, at the very least, can be obnoxious and will most likely be snorers.

IronGutsTommy
09-12-2010, 12:15
ww. just read the blog. good thing they found him. its not you. seems around 80% of ppl turn into a**holes when they get to drinking, and this guy sounds like he already had some a**hole in him before the first drop hit his lips. rest assured hes gonna mess with the wrong guy or girl and that will be that. sounds like he was lonely, was wanting to talk or more, ugh, with you and felt spurned by your refusal of his advances. good for you for calling the cops. he can be charged with simple assault and aggravated assault for his threats, and they might hit him with stalking while theyre at it. he should find plenty of guys willing to share a bunk in jail..hah

mountain squid
09-12-2010, 12:22
Wow. That is quite horrifying, but it is not typical of a night on the AT. As for the gun and/or pepper spray recommendation, typically they are not necessary on the AT. Another lesson learned though. If something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

You might want to contact ATC to make sure they are aware of this. You can send a PM to Lauriep (she works outta ATC HQ in Harpers Ferry.)

Glad you and your daughter are safe! Don't get discouraged. You will have better times on the AT.

On a side note, if you keep having 'adventures' like this and your other one, your Journal will likely be the most interesting and most viewed next year...:rolleyes:;)...(good call with the mice excuse.) (Be extra cautious with your first hitch-hiking experience on the AT.)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Cosmo
09-12-2010, 12:26
Prettywoman--
What a horrible outing. Please accept my apology as an AT volunteer in Mass. As you can see from other responders to your post, this is an extremely rare happening, and I hope it does not discourage you and your daughter from other AT trips.

Heading out with groups for a few trips, or going to places with regular caretakers like Upper Goose Pond Cabin or Sages Ravine campsite, may help you regain your confidence quickly.

Unfortunately law enforcement does not always let us know about 'problem' trail visitors. I've forwarded your post to the Appalachian Trail Park Office in Harpers Ferry. Although the incident took place on State lands, there are cooperative agreements in place between State and Federal law enforcement personnel.

What happened was not your fault, and I hope you will not consider this a typical AT experience.

Cosmo

Feral Bill
09-12-2010, 12:32
I'm sorry for your misadventure. As a small plus, your daughter got a good lesson in handling difficult situations. You set her a good example that she will remember.

Carbo
09-12-2010, 12:50
This is shocking and I am sorry it happened. I'm glad you brought this to our attention. As safe as the AT generally is, it is always good to keep the radar up and go with gut feelings when in doubt.

Pedaling Fool
09-12-2010, 13:00
This can happen any where on the AT, but your chances are much, much higher near roads as is the case with this shelter. Although another way of looking at it is that you're farther away from help the futher you are from a road...I'm probably not helping much.

johnnybgood
09-12-2010, 13:12
So sorry to hear what happened to you and your daughter. Unfortunately though, sometimes the real world crosses paths with the trail .

Let this not be a deterrent from ever backpacking , because now that it has happened to you once , it will be even less likely to occur again.

Let this also be a reminder that an AT shelter should not be your only option when backpacking. A tent would have eliminated the need to stay at this shelter once you felt uneasy about this intoxicated druggie to begin with.

Reid
09-12-2010, 13:56
Id have BUSTED HIS AS* had I been there.

Reid
09-12-2010, 14:01
I liked the side note about changing your life too.

Prettywoman0172
09-12-2010, 14:11
Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the comments. Honestly, though, if the is a problem, I find it or it finds me :)

As far as the tent...We had one. We could have put it up, but we still would have been in to close proximity with the weirdo.

Thank you for the notes about changing my life also. I still cant believe I did it.

Ann

Desert Reprobate
09-12-2010, 15:16
Put a fist size rock in the toe of a hiking sock. You could beat the stupid out of someone before they even realized they are being beat.

Ironbelly
09-12-2010, 15:21
Sorry to hear that this happened. Sadly there are people like that in the world. These instances are very rare on the trail, but just like anywhere in the world stuff can happen. You made the right decision to pack up and leave.

Bear spray is dual purpose. Works great on bears and people, probally wont be needed for a bear on the AT though.

Raul Perez
09-12-2010, 15:33
I agree with Reid... I would have taken his soul

ShakeyLeggs
09-12-2010, 16:49
So sorry to hear about the troubles you had with that idiot. Kudos for keeping your head and getting out of dodge. You did exactly the right thing by reporting him.

Just keep in mind that this is a rare occurence out there on the trail. The chances of this happening again to you out there are extremely rare. But keep in mind that is does happen and can happen again. Just follow your gut and if your spidey sence gets to tingling beat feet out of there.

And no it is not you. You did nothing to provoke the situation. You did nothing wrong, PERIOD.

Don't let this deter you, keep hiking. A big CONGRATS on changing your life.:banana

Prettywoman0172
09-12-2010, 17:02
I am so sore...again. I hurt all over...but I guess carrying my pack, my daughters pack, and a few other things by hand, while dragging my 13yr old along through the woods in the dark will do that to a person :)

On znother note, the Osprey pack fit a lot better and felt much much better than the LL Bean pack. The Vasque boots I am not as happy with. It took close to 20 miles to blister in the Merrells but I had blisters at about 3 miles with the Vasque. Still learning...still learning.

I am still very enchanted with the trail. I am planning to go out again next weekend. This time my knife is going to be larger than the Squirt I am currently carrying (I know some of you are going to tell me its a bad idea, but, well...) I might look into the bear spray, and someone else mentioned wasp spray in another thread. I think I am taking a big guy with me too. :)

Ann

tlap
09-12-2010, 17:30
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, and I'm glad you got out of there safely AND that you reported him to the cops. Such bad characters are rare on the trail, but they are out there.

Keep on hiking, and I hope your next trip is completely uneventful.

As far as your boots go, maybe you needed to break them in more. For me, that's about 3 weekends of all day wear, just around town.

Different Socks
09-12-2010, 17:56
Prettywoman, what happened to the gear you left behind at the shelter?

Prettywoman0172
09-12-2010, 18:05
No idea, we didnt go back for it.

Hiker8261
09-12-2010, 18:11
I am upset to hear of your experience but I am heartened to hear that you are still looking to going out again.
I would encourage you to look into a group for trips, especially if your daughter is reluctant to go back out. There are several that are clubs like the AMC or GMC or an internet group like meetup.com (search for backpacking groups in your area)

chris
granby ct

Hiker8261
09-12-2010, 18:13
also, I have had great success eliminating my blisters by wearing a pair of thin liner socks under my heavy ones

chris

Mrs Baggins
09-12-2010, 18:57
I am so sore...again. I hurt all over...but I guess carrying my pack, my daughters pack, and a few other things by hand, while dragging my 13yr old along through the woods in the dark will do that to a person :)

On znother note, the Osprey pack fit a lot better and felt much much better than the LL Bean pack. The Vasque boots I am not as happy with. It took close to 20 miles to blister in the Merrells but I had blisters at about 3 miles with the Vasque. Still learning...still learning.

I am still very enchanted with the trail. I am planning to go out again next weekend. This time my knife is going to be larger than the Squirt I am currently carrying (I know some of you are going to tell me its a bad idea, but, well...) I might look into the bear spray, and someone else mentioned wasp spray in another thread. I think I am taking a big guy with me too. :)

Ann

Boot-wise: I've been wearing Hi Tec Altitude IV's for 9 years with liners and wool socks. Zero blisters, no "break in" time. Ever. I put in the insoles that I need (collapsing arches) and they are absolutely painless for me. And they're waterproof. I realize they're not a "cool" name brand like Vasque, Asolo, Merrill, but I've seen plenty of complaints about all of those boots and none about Hi Tecs. Yet. Now that I've said that, there will be those who will post complaints even if they have to make them up in order to defend their choice of higher priced chi-chi boots. :(

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2010, 21:00
. . .I am still very enchanted with the trail. I am planning to go out again next weekend.
1) Don't "advertise" where or when you are going here or in your blog.
2) PM all of us though so we can stay safe by avoiding where ever you are hiking;):D. Sorry, couldn't resist.

This time my knife is going to be larger than the Squirt I am currently carrying (I know some of you are going to tell me its a bad idea, but, well...) I might look into the bear spray, and someone else mentioned wasp spray in another thread.
Knife, check. Bear spray, check. 9mm, check.

I think I am taking a big guy with me too. :)
That doesn't always work out well either.;)

Manwich
09-12-2010, 21:25
Silly thing to think about bringing a bigger knife. Goodness knows somebody you'd need to use it against probably knows how to handle it better than you. Congratulations, you'll just be giving them a bigger weapon to take from you.

Get a canister of bear spray. That'll incapacitate any whackjob.

Luddite
09-12-2010, 21:38
Silly thing to think about bringing a bigger knife. Goodness knows somebody you'd need to use it against probably knows how to handle it better than you. Congratulations, you'll just be giving them a bigger weapon to take from you.

Get a canister of bear spray. That'll incapacitate any whackjob.

Exactly. If you pull a knife on somebody you better know how to use it. Bear spray against a drunkard would be good enough.

srestrepo
09-12-2010, 21:59
hey prettywoman, i'm in massachusetts also, so sorry to hear about your situation. i've never had an issue on the at. much like every one else has already mentioned this isn't the norm. sorry to hear about your gear, if you want i'm going to try to head up that way at the end of this week (october mountain) if i find anything that looks liek it would be your gear or anything i'll reach out to you.

if not though and you're looking for some insight on gear, i have more gear than its worth for me as i'm definitely one of those gear junkies, if its something i've got and you might want to try out maybe we can set something up and meet up at the upper goose pond cabin, close to the road, care taker on site and its just where i go to relax.

either way best of luck, hope this does not discourage you at all.

Tinker
09-12-2010, 22:15
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience. There are far fewer bad people on the majority of hiking trails in the US than there are on your average city street. That said, of course, there are no guarantees wherever you go. If you would like to do an overnight hike with a small group in this area I would be glad to join you if having others to watch out for you (and each other) will help you to regain confidence (or enjoy your outdoor experience more) in the woods. I have a few friends here that I have hiked with over the past few years and enjoy their company, so I thought pass on the suggestion to meet other hikers for breakfast, get to know them a bit, and, if you feel comfortable with them, do a group hike.
Btw: I usually hike alone, but, as it has been said, being a guy helps a lot if solo hiking is your style.
Take care and be safe. :)

excuses
09-12-2010, 22:16
You did everything you should have. Like has been noted. watch how you came into camp and where you will be leaving. Even if you don't have to hurry out, you can get turned around. The bear spray is marginal but the knife is usually a wrong idea. You have to use a weapon not show it, no hesitation. You may not be happy with the outcome. Hoping the next time is a great time. Yes you are now part of the ever questing right gear. That is why many of us have so much gear. Enjoy

Gray Blazer
09-12-2010, 22:32
Hope you start having better luck. Peace out!

Many Walks
09-12-2010, 22:59
You did nothing wrong to bring on this horrible situation, it's all on “Chris”. To your credit, through your strength and competence you managed to get yourself and your daughter out without serious injury. Maybe a couple of lessons learned in the process like heeding the warnings when alarms go off, but we're thankful you came out safe and glad you still intend to pursue hiking. Wish you the best!

IronGutsTommy
09-13-2010, 06:38
i carry a big knife. extra weight? yeah.. more useful than a small folding knife? not really. but i grew up watching rambo, i always carry a 7 inch cold steel fixed knife. i dont feel outdoorsy without it. as for the boots, ya prolly just need some break in time, as was mentioned. also, thin liner socks (like mens black dress socks) help alot, as was also mentioned. keep on hikin sister

Marta
09-13-2010, 06:52
One thing I do is the scope out the situation before deciding to stay. The scenario: Arrive at shelter. If there's anyone there, exchange a few words before you even take off your pack. In the unlikely event that there's someone there who makes you uneasy, say cheerily, "Well we'll be moving on now. Have a good hike tomorrow!" And split.

Part two of that process is to 1) Have a backup plan and 2) Have enough strength and time left to execute backup plan.

I don't know if you and/or your daughters have studied martial arts. I highly recommend it. Not only are they good exercise, they also teach you how to use the strength you have effectively, how to escape holds, how to remove weapons from attackers, and how to fight back.

PS--Sons also benefit from studying martial arts. Females are not the only people who can be attacked, as the frequent revelations about pedophiles remind us.

Surplusman
09-13-2010, 06:57
I agree with the bear spray all the way. You can reach out and touch Mr. Tough Guy at more than an arm's length away, and you won't kill him...But a good blast in the face will make him wish he was dead.

canoehead
09-13-2010, 08:07
Sorry to hear about this. Just some JERK out there. Glade your family is safe. Keep your head up and don't let a JERK like that ruin your day. You and your daughter did great. PS the bear spray idea is good, but if you end up getting hit by it from back spray or a breeze you can't breath I know it happend to me. Some one was messing around with a can of it . It works YOU just don't want to be on the receiving end.
and you need a permit to carry it in MA.

Cosmo
09-13-2010, 08:26
No idea, we didnt go back for it.

We have a volunteer who is going in today (Monday) to bring out your's (and the idiot's) gear if it is still there. I'll PM you and let you know what we've got.

Glad to hear you are headed out again,

Cosmo

Don H
09-13-2010, 08:31
A MA State Trooper recommended you get a handgun?

dcmidnight
09-13-2010, 09:02
That was my question too.

But as another poster pointed out - I always have a backup plan on my map. I try to arrive at whatever shelter with plenty of time before sundown. Scope it out and then I can always rest up and book out if there's an issue.

DAJA
09-13-2010, 09:12
"A MA State Trooper recommended you get a handgun?"

Wow! As a Canadian I find that shocking, albiet, I understand American's are much more pro firearms, but wow! Sounds like the old west...

Sorry about that situation. After reading I laid in bed wondering how I would have responded in such a situation. Being male, there may not have been such a situation, but had there, not sure how I would have handled it.

Props to you for taking action and removing yourself from a potentially dangerous situation. Your daughter has a good role model!

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 09:50

"A MA State Trooper recommended you get a handgun?"

Wow! As a Canadian I find that shocking, albiet, I understand American's are much more pro firearms, but wow! Sounds like the old west...

Sorry about that situation. After reading I laid in bed wondering how I would have responded in such a situation. Being male, there may not have been such a situation, but had there, not sure how I would have handled it.

Police investigate crimes after they occur, they don't prevent them, especially miles deep in the woods. Self-defense is a personal responsibility, not the state's. The trail is generally as safe or safer as anywhere else, and statistically you are not very likely to be a victim of crime while hiking. But every statistic represents a real human life.

Surplusman
09-13-2010, 12:01
Sorry to hear about this. Just some JERK out there. Glade your family is safe. Keep your head up and don't let a JERK like that ruin your day. You and your daughter did great. PS the bear spray idea is good, but if you end up getting hit by it from back spray or a breeze you can't breath I know it happend to me. Some one was messing around with a can of it . It works YOU just don't want to be on the receiving end.
and you need a permit to carry it in MA.

Yes, you do need a permit to carry bear spray in MA. If I'm not mistaken, don't you need a firearms permit? Of course, that costs $, so it all boils down to nothing but another State of Massachusetts money-making scam. :mad:

"EVERYTHING is illegal in Massachusetts"

Tuckahoe
09-13-2010, 13:09

Well there is atleast one good cop...

Prettywoman0172
09-13-2010, 13:17

Yes, he sure did. I think his last name was Ruff?

I will need a handgun at some point, but not until later on and not for the trail. I think I would be a bit too trigger happy and would, indeed, shoot someone. :) I know my limits :)

Ann

Slo-go'en
09-13-2010, 13:57
You definately picked the wrong place at the wrong time for that trip! Sounds like you bumped into a homeless guy with mental problems (but apperently with access to enough cash to buy whisky, pot and take out). Since the State Police know about the guy, it also sounds like he's been camped out there for awhile.

The whisky bottles and take out food should have been a clue this guy wasn't a fellow hiker and had been squating there for awhile. Although this doesn't happen too often, a shelter with close proximity to a road and easy trail access increases the chances it might.

Even though it was getting late, one look around and you should have said you just stopped by to look at the shelter on your way back out to your car and left. Hinsight is 20-20, but if you ever see a situation like you had this weekend again, you'll know to push on right away.

Jonnycat
09-13-2010, 14:03
Egads, what a nightmare! I'm glad you and your daughter made it home safely.

Moose2001
09-13-2010, 14:38
Any idea what "Chris"s lastname is?

Prettywoman0172
09-13-2010, 14:45
Any idea what "Chris"s lastname is?

They said it over the radio...Faneon? Or something close to that. They spelled it. My daughter might remember. She remembers everything...she is the one that gave them the description, not me.

SMSP
09-13-2010, 15:22
That was a terrible experience and situation to be put in. As others have said, don’t give up on the trail and it is good that you are getting back out there. As far as having something for self-protection, my experience and opinion, is to make sure you are proficient with whatever that is, whether it be a hiking pole, handgun, knife, bear spray, martial arts, taser, etc…

If one takes a self-defense class and then never practices what they learn, then what they learn initially will be forgotten. The same can be said for handguns and knives. A lot of people are advocating bear spray, which can be very effective. But, bear spray is not perfect and has it’s own set of concerns as well. Wind direction can make bear spray useless and even cause one to spray themselves. One can also spray themselves by spraying the perp in an enclosed environment. Also, bear spray may not even be effective due to the perp being under the influence of alcohol/drugs. If one decides to use bear spray, I would suggest buying two canisters and practice with one so you are familiar with its operation and the other to take on the trail.

SMSP

Daydream Believer
09-13-2010, 16:10
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your daughter. I've hiked alone now and have never had any situation even nearly as bad. I met one creepy guy last May on Tray Mtn who looked me up and down with a weird look on his face, but I'm sure I was not much to look at after that climb. (could be I looked that bad!) I felt uncomfortable from his looks and just moved on down the trail. Everyone else I met were complete gentlemen and good company.

We stayed at a shelter (Woods Hole) last December that had some local hikers who had a few joints, and offered to share, but neither me nor my husband were interested in anything more than our warm sleeping bags. Otherwise they were nice enough and polite and respectful young men...not a worry at all to either of us.

I hope you will try again and choose a shelter no where close to a road or parking area.

I also carry pepper spray but I will not pack heat. Way too much weight for the rare possibility I'd ever have a need for it.

10-K
09-13-2010, 16:18
I wonder how they knew Chris' last name?

Sierra Echo
09-13-2010, 17:30
You should have had wasp spray with you! That lil buggy wouldn't have followed you!

Prettywoman0172
09-13-2010, 17:35
They asked him for it I would assume when they found him.

I wonder how they knew Chris' last name?

Pete Moss
09-13-2010, 17:42
His name should be on the report of the incident the troopers should have given you. Not to mention, it should give some other vital personal information.

Ironbelly
09-13-2010, 20:02
Blowback from bear spray or regular ole pepper spray is not much to be concerned with unless your spraying into a really strong head wind. Working in law enforement I have had to use oc spray on several occassions and have been sprayed full on in training as well as been hit by misting/blowback in the field.

Yes it hurts, yes it will make you tear up, yes it will probally make you cough and or gag. BUT it is nowhere near as bad as being on the receiving end of it. A little personal judgement before using bear spray or pepper spray is called for, if there is a head wind then it is best to spray at an angle in relation to the target so that the majority of the spray will mist away from you vice directly towards you. You can also use your forearm or similar to shield the majority of your face in a head wind situationto make it a slightly better outcome on your part. A good oc spray will work on most drunks, as well as most anyone high on anything short of pcp, especially if it's only weed.

Hikerhead
09-13-2010, 21:31
They asked him for it I would assume when they found him.

I'd call the detective and get some more info like full name, address and if he had any priors.

SMSP
09-13-2010, 21:49
I'd call the detective and get some more info like full name, address and if he had any priors.

Based on my LEO experience, even though 'Chris' may be a dirt bag, the agency cant just release his information to the 'victim'. On the other hand, if a media person wrote a news article about an incident, they might be able to obtain more information for their news article. In the agency I worked for, if a victim got a copy of the report, the other person's identifying information (except their name) was whited out and then a copy made for the victim. Perps, unfortunately, have rights too. I'm sure this varies from agency to agency and also depends on 'who' one knows.

SMSP

Rain Man
09-13-2010, 22:53
Perps, unfortunately, have rights too.

Actually, the fact that "perps" have rights is one of the finest things about our Nation. It's places like China and Iran and the old Soviet Union where perps don't have rights. NOT fortunate in the least.

Rain:sunMan

hontassquirt
09-13-2010, 23:26
you had another post in the general forum last week called "mileage for a newbie?" where you decided to sleep in a tent with camo jack (a man you had never met before) although you were uncomfortable with it, and didn't like the situation. you still did it....in the dark....in the woods...far from town. :confused: luckily nothing happened to you (or camo jack, for that matter :-?). you lived to blog about it. a week later, you and your daughter shelter up with a drunk in the dark (a harmless drunk, mind you...???) and things got sour. something just doesn't add up with judgement calls. please be more careful.

i have a bersa .380 that i used to bring in the woods with my daughter. not a recommended means for protection. especially since they require judgement calls.

Prettywoman0172
09-14-2010, 08:55
If you read my blogs you will soon learn that I do a lot of really stupid ****. Some of it, you wont even be able to wrap your mind around.

A funny thing happens to a person when they face death...and I have literally come back from the dead. This is my do-over and I am not missing a damn thing this time around. I will literally do ANYTHING.

I do, however, try to behave a bit more responsibly when I have my children around. The oldest has come to expect the unexpected when she is with me, and she likes it.

I am considered "alternative" and "controversial" but I am having the time of my life.

A

you had another post in the general forum last week called "mileage for a newbie?" where you decided to sleep in a tent with camo jack (a man you had never met before) although you were uncomfortable with it, and didn't like the situation. you still did it....in the dark....in the woods...far from town. :confused: luckily nothing happened to you (or camo jack, for that matter :-?). you lived to blog about it. a week later, you and your daughter shelter up with a drunk in the dark (a harmless drunk, mind you...???) and things got sour. something just doesn't add up with judgement calls. please be more careful.

i have a bersa .380 that i used to bring in the woods with my daughter. not a recommended means for protection. especially since they require judgement calls.

Don H
09-14-2010, 09:00
Did the MA State Trooper that "advised me to get a hand gun or at least some pepper spray" mention the mandatory handgun training and the licensing requirement for both gun and pepper spray? MA has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country.
Also be aware that if you actually comply with all the requirements in MA as soon as you hike across the state line you're under a whole new set of laws and your carry permit is not valid.

4eyedbuzzard
09-14-2010, 09:40
Also be aware that if you actually comply with all the requirements in MA as soon as you hike across the state line you're under a whole new set of laws and your carry permit is not valid.
Which state line? Not commenting on the advisability, but VT requires no permits.

makoboy
09-14-2010, 09:48
Which state line? Not commenting on the advisability, but VT requires no permits.

And CT is a Shall Issue state so long as you have a clean record, the class, fingerprints and a checkbook.

4eyedbuzzard
09-14-2010, 10:04
If you read my blogs you will soon learn that I do a lot of really stupid ****. Some of it, you wont even be able to wrap your mind around.
Check.

A funny thing happens to a person when they face death...and I have literally come back from the dead.
I thought you came back from being fat - not being dead.:-?

This is my do-over and I am not missing a damn thing this time around. I will literally do ANYTHING. Generally, doing ANYTHING leads to stupid and irresponsible - and some things are better off missed. Like run ins with unsavory characters in the woods.

I do, however, try to behave a bit more responsibly when I have my children around. The oldest has come to expect the unexpected when she is with me, and she likes it.
Really? And do they read momma phoenix's "naughty" blogs? When you put something like that out there in public view you tend to attract attention, and not necessarily the kind you may want in some situations.

I am considered "alternative" and "controversial" but I am having the time of my life.
That's nice. There's an old saying, think before you leap (or speak or blog).

10-K
09-14-2010, 10:27
Folks, this is the internet....

Prettywoman0172
09-14-2010, 10:27
I guess it is time to take my leave from here as well.

In reference to where I came back from...keep reading. I was literally almost drugged to death. As a result I have near complete amnesia. On the last night, I spent many hours with a knife at my throat and a gun in my mouth. I have literally survived hell on earth.

Thank you to everyone who has been supportive and offered advice.

I will make my way.

A

Prettywoman0172
09-14-2010, 10:30
Oh, and the rally good "naughty" blog is passworded. The public one is nothing.

HikerGator
09-14-2010, 12:40
Sorry this happened! I have been hiking since I was 4 (27 now) and have had only one run-in with a weirdo while hiking, two years ago. And I was with my dad, who is over 6 feet and nearly 200 lbs! But we did something we knew we shoud never do...camp near a road. I was in a tent, my dad was sleeping outside the tent and someone came up and peered over at us. My dad woke up with someone standing over him and staring and looking into the tent at me (weren't using the fly). My dad jumped up and the guy took off running. Who knows what he wanted, if anything but you don't just come up to someone camping and stand over them while sleeping. I didn't know about it until morning thank god. But it sure scared my dad. Just goes to show the trail isn't cutoff from the rest of the world and all its bad people. But now the lesson of not camping by road crossings has been learned and we'll never do it again. Good luck with your future hiking.

tiptoe
09-14-2010, 17:32
Sounds like you handled a tough situation well, and hope and your daughter won't be put off backpacking because of it. In future, avoid shelters near roads on weekends to lessen the risk.

hontassquirt
09-14-2010, 19:40
Oh, and the rally good "naughty" blog is passworded.

Um, no it's not.

Don H
09-14-2010, 20:05

Yea, VT is about the only state that doesn't require some type of permit. In my own state of MD it is virtually impossible to get a permit to carry.

Sierra Echo
09-14-2010, 20:49
Um, no it's not.

I have to agree there! LOLOLOLOL

Prettywoman0172
09-14-2010, 21:05
Yeah,..it is. There is one that is public w 3 stories...there is a passworded one with 50 or so stories.

I have to agree there! LOLOLOLOL

Alligator
09-14-2010, 21:20
Folks if you have an issue with Prettywoman0172's other blog posts, please take it to the comment section on her blog directly. Thanks.

I'm very sorry this incident happened to you Prettywoman0172 and particularly saddened that it involved your daughter as well.

tucker0104
09-15-2010, 00:34
I would've let my dog loose on him. If he would've touched my dog then I would've shot him.

Rain Man
09-15-2010, 00:43
I would've let my dog loose on him. If he would've touched my dog then I would've shot him.

Then you would be the criminal.

Rain Man

rickb
09-15-2010, 07:06
Then you would be the criminal.

Rain Man

In this thread "Chris" has been referred to as "the idiot", "just some jerk", a "homeless guy with mental problems" and "a dirtbag".

Those seem like rather charitable descriptions.

Isn't making threats of rape and murder in this context criminal? That's a rhetorical question, btw. It definitely is, and the threats should be taken very, very seriously.

Was the individual arrested? If so does he remain in custody?

If he does not remain in custody (and perhap even if he does), shouldn't the ATC and maintaining clubs be getting the word out-- they let us know where cars are broken into and this is far, far worse.

Thankfully Pretty Woman and her daughter are safe, but what of the next people traveling through this area?

The ATC and maintaining clubs' silence on these kinds of incidents is deafening.

Sierra Echo
09-15-2010, 07:19
Or the question of the day. Did it even happen? hmmmmmmm?

10-K
09-15-2010, 07:41

TOW
09-15-2010, 07:54
My 13yr old daughter and I hiked into the October Mountain shelter yesterday afternoon and were greeted by "Chris" and his dog. We could see the whiskey bottles and smell the pot smoke, but we werent smart enough to just turn around and leave. It was already dark (we got a late start) and he seemed friendly enough. There were Chinese take out cartons all over the picnic table. He offered us some. We declined. He recommended we sleep in the loft and offered to help us put our packs up there. On the way down out of the loft he offered me a joint. I declined. He seemed harmless. Intoxicated but harmless.

We made dinner with the stove and while we were eating it he started.

We were called names and threatened. And it was AWFUL.

We eventually decided we had no choice but to hike back out of the woods in the dark.

I texted two friends and ask them to call the police.

We had no idea which way we had come in. At first we were running around in circles trying to find a white blaze while he stood and laughed at us. We found a blue blaze and just walked. Found a white blaze soon after. And walked some more.

He apparently followed us for a little while. But we didnt look back and didnt stop.

The whole story is here http://imaphoenixbaby.blogspot.com/2010/09/hell-at-october-mountain.html

I feel sick over this.

AnnI am glad you are alive. Do what that cop said and get some good bear mace or a small can of pepper spray,,,,,,,,,

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2010, 07:55

According to MA State Police at Barracks B-1 that patrols that area, there was no assault complaint filed, nor any arrest made. There was an incident of "disoriented hikers" who required assistance, to which MA State Police responded.

dcmidnight
09-15-2010, 07:57
According to MA State Police at Barracks B-1 that patrols that area, there was no assault complaint filed, nor any arrest made. There was an incident of "disoriented hikers" who required assistance, to which MA State Police responded.
You beat me to it, I was going to say this sort of incident should be easy enough to confirm with a few phone calls. Especially if an ATC club member calls and says that for their safety they want to let their members know what happened.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2010, 07:57
if i walked up to a shelter with my 13 year old daughter and saw some dude drinking and smoking dope i woulda kept on goin'. what parent would put a kid in that situation?

Lone Wolf
09-15-2010, 07:58

she is quite the story teller

TOW
09-15-2010, 08:00
She never said anything about the perp being arrested in her blog, here is the quote on the police handling of the situation......

"We pulled away from the trailhead, not wanting to wait and see if “Chris” followed us out of the woods. The police asked us to stop at a cross road and wait for them. Four state police cruisers arrived and two officers asked for a statement. They sent another group of officers onto the trail to locate him. They found his dog at the shelter but not him. A ways up the trail we had taken to get out of the woods is where they found him. He had been following us. The police said knew who he was and said that there had been problems on the trail with him before."

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2010, 08:01
if i walked up to a shelter with my 13 year old daughter and saw some dude drinking and smoking dope i woulda kept on goin'. what parent would put a kid in that situation?

You got that right LW. But real life hiking is usually too boring to attract much attention.

TOW
09-15-2010, 08:02
where did you find that and is this the same girl?

dcmidnight
09-15-2010, 08:03
She never said anything about the perp being arrested in her blog, here is the quote on the police handling of the situation......

"We pulled away from the trailhead, not wanting to wait and see if “Chris” followed us out of the woods. The police asked us to stop at a cross road and wait for them. Four state police cruisers arrived and two officers asked for a statement. They sent another group of officers onto the trail to locate him. They found his dog at the shelter but not him. A ways up the trail we had taken to get out of the woods is where they found him. He had been following us. The police said knew who he was and said that there had been problems on the trail with him before."
Arrest or not, with a date and time, incidents like this are easy enough to confirm.

TOW
09-15-2010, 08:06

Arrest or not, with a date and time, incidents like this are easy enough to confirm.

Dam ..........
I found that blog, it does lead one to wonder if it ever happened the way she said or if it ever happened at all.........:-?

dcmidnight
09-15-2010, 08:07
Part of her story says "I pulled out my phone and there was a text message from the state police telling me they were enroute and to call 911" and that four cruisers arrived - so certainly there will be a report of this incident.

10-K
09-15-2010, 08:08

I think the point being made is that there is no record of it at all - not if anyone was arrested or not.

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2010, 08:09

They found him TOW, but no arrest was made. If a guy with a history of causing problems on the trail was accused of threatening to rape and kill them by two witnesses, Ann AND her daughter, there would have been an arrest made.

That or we have a huge hush up /cover up going on by MA State Police, which I am inclined not to believe.

TOW
09-15-2010, 08:09
I think the point being made is that there is no record of it at all - not if anyone was arrested or not.
yep.........i am beginning to see that this is just an attention getter

TOW
09-15-2010, 08:11
and another sad story hits the rocks, poof!

10-K
09-15-2010, 08:13
This reminds me of the story last year about the 2 guys thru hiking and said they had to quit their hike because Uncle Johnny took all the money from their debit card and wouldn't give it back.

Turned out his hiking partner (who was the cardholder), just wanted to quit hiking and made up the story about Uncle Johnny and his debit card.

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2010, 08:14
Again, I talked to MA State Police at Barracks B-1, and was told there was no assault complaint filed, nor any arrest made. There was an incident of "disoriented hikers" who required assistance, to which MA State Police responded. The Sargeant went on to say that any other spin on the story was inaccurate.

Pedaling Fool
09-15-2010, 08:26
This thread is killing me...just close it and let's all talk about something fun and cheerful...like global warming...

Toolshed
09-15-2010, 08:33
OK, So I have been following this since her first post since i have nothing better to do as I just got out of the hospital last week after yet a 3rd aortic valve replacement surgery.
My stink detector was flickering a little - seemed strange, but then again, it COULD happen. I googled the MA Barrington area news a few times looking for a report of this incident, but found nothing. So I kept waiting for teh other shoe to fall...
Then I read the where Camojack took her out for an overnight and "invited himself into her tent" which seemed kind of dramatic and started to wonder if she is much like VictoriaM that twisted and caused drama in everything she did/said.

PS as for a MA concealed carry - Not that hard to get - as long as you know you local police chief and are not a troublemaker and have about $350-$400 for applications and a safety course, then you are good to go. I got mine within 4 months of moving to MA. Granted I had already had a PA and a NY concealed carry, but others have suggested they are extremely difficult to get in MA. Not so. The handguns are more difficult to get since only a few manufacturers bonded themselves with the state in order to have a license to sell to MA gun dealers. (This was the case in 2005 anyway).

Gray Blazer
09-15-2010, 08:53
This thread is killing me...just close it and let's all talk about something fun and cheerful...like global warming...

I love Global Warming!

OutdoorsMan
09-15-2010, 08:54
Put a fist size rock in the toe of a hiking sock. You could beat the stupid out of someone before they even realized they are being beat.
This is not good advice in my opinion. Someone who is drugged up/intoxicated sometimes has super strength and often doesn't feel pain the way a sober person does. I am on the side of those who recommend a firearm/pepper spray and now I have an interest in the hide-away knife. I don't carry any type of weapon on the trail but have no objection to law abiding people who do. I think that this is especially prudent for a woman.
Of course deadly force should be the last option. You did the right thing by leaving. Like others here, I wish that I could have been with you to take care of this character.

Your personal story is inspirational. This incident is terrible and I hope that your daughter (and you) do return to the trail, perhaps prepared with a tool(s) for self defense although it is unlikely that you will encounter a similar situation again.

Spokes
09-15-2010, 11:08
Bummer..... Hope your next hike is uneventful.

Luddite
09-15-2010, 11:44

LOL Thats the same woman?

Alligator
09-15-2010, 12:52
If anyone has any additional information about this incident please send it on to any of the General forum mods, supermods, or me and we will work to get it posted. For now, people are getting a little too personal due to the non-hiking blog posts so the thread was closed. As noted, there is a comment section on her blog.

Prettywoman0172
09-16-2010, 08:54
No incident report was filed because there was no assault. There is a log note for september 11, 2010 at approximately 10pm. All that is noted is that" two people, believed to be at October Mountain Shelter texted a friend needing help and the police."

This information was obtained by calling the Cheshire Barrachs in 413-743-4700

The barrachs that responded on September 11,2010 was unit B-1 from Lee. The last name of the officer that advised me to obtain a handgun is Ruff. He can be reached by callling 413-243-0600

Why on earth would I have EVER hiked out of the woods late at night and requested the police if I had not felt threatened?

Unbelieveable are the PMs, comments and private email I have received regarding this incident. There are many of you that should be very ashamed.

Karma is a b*tch.

A