PDA

View Full Version : New Jet Boil

Stir Fry
09-12-2010, 14:07
Has anyone seen the new Jet Boil "SUMO" I think? Looks like it might address some of the problems wiht the Jet Boil. Artical said Spring 2011 is there a day set yet.

Torch09
09-12-2010, 15:43
The Jetboil is a solid product and I love mine, but I believe the main issues it has are price and weight. I have an older model and including fuel, it weighs about 20oz. That's enormous compared to my Snow peak 700 with homemade alcohol stove (about 5.5oz). If i'm going to spend another $100 or so on a Jetboil, it needs to be half the weight and self cleaning!

ShakeyLeggs
09-12-2010, 16:36
I just took a look at the Sumo. From what I can see it is just the cup without stove. It does expand the capacity by being larger but no stove included. It is designed to fit on a JetBoil stove you already own.

I like the look of the Sol TI weighing in at 9oz without canister.

leaftye
09-13-2010, 00:35
The Jetboil is a solid product and I love mine, but I believe the main issues it has are price and weight. I have an older model and including fuel, it weighs about 20oz. That's enormous compared to my Snow peak 700 with homemade alcohol stove (about 5.5oz). If i'm going to spend another $100 or so on a Jetboil, it needs to be half the weight and self cleaning!

How much does the alcohol weigh to do the same job as the 20 ounce Jetboil system? There seems to be a consensus that alcohol is heavy for frequent cookers.

IronGutsTommy
09-13-2010, 00:42
alchol is lighter by volume than fuel, but from my own tests fuel seems to give you more bang for your buck. maybe the alcohol stove i was testing wasnt a sufficient one, idk. since im winter hiking im packing a unfortunately heavier MSR Reactor, but the fact that its self contained, windscreen free design is good on fuel conservation, plus the fact it works well in wind and cold and ill need to be heating up extra water besides the meal's for hot cocoa/coffee made me fall in love with it. if i do a nobo in the spring ill prolly mail it home and downgrade to a lighter pocket rocket, we shall see

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 00:46
Check out these articles on stove and fuel efficiency

http://hikinghq.net/stoves/stove_compare.html

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/stoveweight_vs_time_14days.php

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles/stoveweight_vs_time_28days.php

There are others but I can't find my list of links right now.

Different Socks
09-13-2010, 02:20
alchol is lighter by volume than fuel, but from my own tests fuel seems to give you more bang for your buck. maybe the alcohol stove i was testing wasnt a sufficient one, idk. since im winter hiking im packing a unfortunately heavier MSR Reactor, but the fact that its self contained, windscreen free design is good on fuel conservation, plus the fact it works well in wind and cold and ill need to be heating up extra water besides the meal's for hot cocoa/coffee made me fall in love with it. if i do a nobo in the spring ill prolly mail it home and downgrade to a lighter pocket rocket, we shall see

It's always good to see that someone else uses a cartridge or Coleman gas stove. I do, really do, see the benefits of an alky stove......but other than heating up water for your dinner are they really capable of anything else? And if it's windy, forget about using those few ounces a person normally uses. can anyone here at Whiteblaze tell me if they have actually used an alky stove to cook a noodle dinner, rice dinner, or other similar fare cuz I just don't see it happening.

Different Socks
09-13-2010, 02:24
BTW I use an MSR Whisperlite. It's been with me from the Ice Age Trail to the Long Trail to the CDT to the PCT to the OHT to the CT to the ADK's, to Glacier, Rocky Mtn, Grand Canyon and other parks and points inbetween. Only problem I've ever had was a leaky gas line that MSR replaced for free.

dcmidnight
09-13-2010, 08:45
I love my jetboil and while I would like it to be smaller I have no complaints about it.

One thing I frequently see is people comparing the weight of a JB to that of another stove. But to be fair/picky it should be compared to the stove, fuel, pot and whatever you light it with.

Not saying the JB is lighter by any means but in terms of efficiency and convenience I am more than happy with it.

mudhead
09-13-2010, 11:18
According to Jetboil customer service this cup fits on older burners. Not sure I would want that much water at a time, but might be able to fit your hand in there.:)

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 12:12
Have never used a Jet boil, but have heard great things about them.