PDA

View Full Version : Advice on flip flop hike?

AT_Dreamin
09-12-2010, 17:59
Hi everyone!
My boyfriend and I are planning a flip flop thru hike of the AT. He believes this would be the best for me (49 y/o female) ...starting at springer mountain with less severe weather and elevations to deal with. We're pretty set on a flip flop but keep changing our minds on which direction to do first.
If anyone has any suggestions or info they would like to share about a flip flop hike we'd love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks so much!

Odd Man Out
09-12-2010, 19:26
Why not start in Harpers Ferry and hike north to ME. Then go back to HF and hike to GA. PA has much less severe weather and elevations than either end.

mountain squid
09-12-2010, 19:57
:-?You've implied that age and gender...

Why not start at Springer sometime in Apr? As your hike progresses you will be able to determine when/if it is necessary to flip. Beginning in Apr will avoid some of the bad weather and will allow you to enjoy some of the social aspect.

Otherwise I concur with Odd Man Out.
Oh yeah, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB. Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2010, 20:10
There are many alternate itineraries. for a "thru-hike". Here's a few from the ATC website http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

AT_Dreamin
09-12-2010, 20:21
Why not start in Harpers Ferry and hike north to ME. Then go back to HF and hike to GA. PA has much less severe weather and elevations than either end.
I apologize....I meant to say that we would be starting at Harpers Ferry. Hiking north to ME was our first plan but then we wondered if hiking south first would possibly be better as we would at least be passing hikers that started at Springer Mountain. Then when we come back to harpers ferry we would possibly be able to hike with the (somewhat smaller group) of hikers on their way to Katahdin and be able to celebrate our completion of the trail with other hikers we had the pleasure to meet along the way.

AT_Dreamin
09-12-2010, 20:24
:-?You've implied that age and gender...

Why not start at Springer sometime in Apr? As your hike progresses you will be able to determine when/if it is necessary to flip. Beginning in Apr will avoid some of the bad weather and will allow you to enjoy some of the social aspect.

Otherwise I concur with Odd Man Out.
Oh yeah, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB. Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

We want to start fairly early....late March or early April, to make sure that we have plenty of time and I'm a bit worried that the temperatures in Georgia might be a bit cold for me and I want every chance possible to complete the trail. The reason for mentioning age is that I just don't tolerate the weather as well as when I was younger :rolleyes:

Spokes
09-12-2010, 20:34
Yikes!!!!!!!

I considered doing a flip-flop too......rationalizing all the same reasons you guys have- it's a trap!.

In the end I settled on a traditional NOBO and am so glad I did.

Nothing like having a tangible goal (Katahdin) for motivation.

Of course, ultimately your choice. Good luck.

DapperD
09-13-2010, 19:05
We want to start fairly early....late March or early April, to make sure that we have plenty of time and I'm a bit worried that the temperatures in Georgia might be a bit cold for me and I want every chance possible to complete the trail. The reason for mentioning age is that I just don't tolerate the weather as well as when I was younger :rolleyes:It sounds like a good plan, to start at Harper's Ferry and head Southbound first. Also what you could do if you were willing to wait a little would be to start at Springer in the beginning of the month of May, and hike until it get's really hot and humid, say the beginning of July, and flip up to Maine and head Southbound to where you left the trail. This would insure you will have enough time to finish (I believe this was suggested). And who knows, maybe your pace will be good, you won't mind the heat, and will decide not to have to do a flip-flop and will proceed with a straight through end-to-ender? Anyway you choose, don't forget to take your time and have fun:sun

excuses
09-13-2010, 21:24
You mentioned not liking cold and starting in March or April. You will find Georgia warmer than Harper's Ferry at that time.

George
09-13-2010, 21:46
to avoid cold S from harpers mid april, N may 1, north into PA is not as easy as south into virginia

AT_Dreamin
09-14-2010, 19:47
Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone!
I'm taking it all into consideration and who knows....maybe it will be a flip flop this time and next time a full NOBO :-)

IronGutsTommy
09-16-2010, 02:26
oh woops it says flip flop for some reason i read yoyo. Im doing a yoyo, ME>GA>ME..