PDA

View Full Version : What songs do you listen to while hiking?

Franabelle
09-12-2010, 22:49
Just curious...if you take an mp3 player with you on your hike, what are your favorite songs to listen to along the way? Or do you prefer that nature sing to you?
:banana

skinewmexico
09-12-2010, 23:22
You can listen to music anywhere. Not so with nature.

couscous
09-12-2010, 23:33
I have mostly backpacking podcasts and audiobooks on my mp3 player. If listening while hiking, I only use one earbud so I can still hear anything of interest around me.

Wise Old Owl
09-12-2010, 23:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgU8w8j6qY&feature=related

I whistle this....

JAK
09-12-2010, 23:35
The sound of the weak, growing stronger,
The sound of the fool, perhaps growing wiser,
Or falling aside, and sharing their song with the wind.

JAK
09-12-2010, 23:39
Monition

A FAINT wind, blowing from World's End,
Made strange the city street,
A strange sound mingled in the fall
Of the familiar feet.

Something unseen whirled with the leaves
To tap on door and sill.
Something unknown went whispering by
Even when the wind was still.

And men looked up with startled eyes,
And hurried on their way,
As if they had been called, and told
How brief their day.

- Sir Charles G.D.Roberts

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 00:49
Just the song(s) of nature. I've got plenty of man-made music in the civilized world - XM in my car, MP3's and CD's , cassettes, and even some 8tracks and vinyl.

IronGutsTommy
09-13-2010, 00:57
i agree. thought of bringing my mp4 but decided against it. i dont want part of my memories of a thru hike to revolve around "freebird" or "dirty deeds". I have heard ppl say it can help on those really tough mountaineering days, but if im with others id rather talk with them, and if im by myself i want to keep my wits about me. the only music ill jam to is with my harmonica and off key voice at a campfire or so. you have been warned

Bucherm
09-13-2010, 00:59
I always bring my iPod and yet I always end up not using it.

jfarrell04
09-13-2010, 01:08
As a section hiker (~1 week/year) - i like this one:

Seven Days

Seven days, seven more days she’ll be comin’
I’ll be waiting at the station for her to arrive
Seven more days, all I gotta do is survive
She been gone ever since I been a child
Ever since I seen her smile, I ain’t forgotten her eyes
She had a face that could outshine the sun in the skies
I been good, I been good while I been waitin’
Maybe guilty of hesitatin’, I just been holdin’ on
Seven more days, all that’ll be gone
There’s kissing in the valley
Thieving in the alley
Fighting every inch of the way
Trying to be tender
With somebody I remember
In a night that’s always brighter’n the day
Seven days, seven more days that are connected
Just like I expected, she’ll be comin’ on forth
My beautiful comrade from the north
There’s kissing in the valley
Thieving in the alley
Fighting every inch of the way
Trying to be tender
With somebody I remember
In a night that’s always brighter’n the day

Copyright © 1976 by Ram's Horn Music

Jonnycat
09-13-2010, 01:11
I listen to the wind, the sound of leaves rustling, my footfalls, birds, chipmunks water trickling or gushing, that sort of thing.
There are so many different sounds, all of them different.

On my section hike this year I saw a chipmunk scurry up a tree, so I whistled to him. He stopped and stared at me, and returned with a call of his own. We did this for about five minutes, until it was time for me to be on my way. For that five minutes, I was in the coolest band ever.

I also listen to the songs that play in my head, of which there are many to choose from.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 01:18
We used to live on a gravel road pretty deep in the woods of NH. One of our friends from suburbia was visiting once, and while we were having coffee early one morning on the deck a whooshing sound started and increased in volume until it was quite loud. A large hawk then appeared right over the rooftop and continued on its way, the sound of the air off its wings diminishing as it continued on. Our friend was floored - she had never in her life heard such a thing before. It's simply amazing how much of nature's sounds are drowned out by the background noise of civilization.

Different Socks
09-13-2010, 01:48
Well here is a serious answer: Chicago, Stevie Ray Vaughn, lots of different New Age Artists, Alan Parson's, Kitaro, Spyro Gyra and anything off the Dr. Demento Show. And that's just for starters.

For those of you that swear up and down that you don't carry any kind of musical appliance with you when you hike, I'll remember not to loan you the player when you're tent bound for 2 days, or it's been raining for 4 straight days and it feels like all the miles are uphill, Or the pain from your blisters and other aches and pains are driving you crazy, or when you simply just have those times when you are bored.

I enjoy nature as well and don't listen to music all the time when hiking, but I can tell you about dozens of times when music enhanced the experience of the moment.

fredmugs
09-13-2010, 08:00
I always bring my MP3 player and crank up some hardcore metal for the tough climbs.

Bands I listen to: Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Metallica, Cradle of Filth, Devildriver, Slipnot, Killswitch Engage, Godsmack, and Avenged Sevenfold among others.

RedneckRye
09-13-2010, 08:42
Metal, lots and lots of metal.

Also, morning traffic reports. Those are the best. Thru northern VA you can listen to DC stations and in NY / NJ the morning traffic makes me feel good. The more backed up and slow moving the interstate, the better.

Once listened to an entire 500 mile NASCAR race. They drove 500 miles, I walked 8.

What?? That is the wrong answer? I'm supposed to be all Holier Than Thou and say I listen to the music of the wind in the leaves and the babble of the brook?
Yeah, those were good for several hundred or maybe a thousand miles but then the limited playlist kind of got old.
Mp3 with FM radio is the best ounce or two in my pack.

pattydivins
09-13-2010, 09:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgU8w8j6qY&feature=related

I whistle this....

I would like to hear your whistle that drum solo mid-way through!

Kerosene
09-13-2010, 09:57
We used to live on a gravel road pretty deep in the woods of NH. One of our friends from suburbia was visiting once, and while we were having coffee early one morning on the deck a whooshing sound started and increased in volume until it was quite loud. A large hawk then appeared right over the rooftop and continued on its way, the sound of the air off its wings diminishing as it continued on. Our friend was floored - she had never in her life heard such a thing before. It's simply amazing how much of nature's sounds are drowned out by the background noise of civilization.I had a similar experiencesitting on a rock north of Mt. Lafayette on a lovely warm, clear day in September 2006. I suddenly hear something approaching from my left and a big raven glides past, not 8 feet from where I was sitting. The air through its wings was surprisingly loud in the still air, and the sheen on it's feathers from the bright sun was quite memorable.

No, I don't bring anything to listen to music on while I hike. I do, however, compose grandiose symphonies in my head while I chug up a mountain, but of course I can never recall them when I get to a piano!

FlyPaper
09-13-2010, 10:32
Just curious...if you take an mp3 player with you on your hike, what are your favorite songs to listen to along the way? Or do you prefer that nature sing to you?

I don't carry an MP3 player on the trail. I'd caution everyone to be careful what they listen to in the days BEFORE a hike. I did my first section hike when my son was almost 2 years old. As a result, I had lots of children's songs in my head.

In spite of beating my head against rocks and the occasional head first charge into a boulder, I could NOT get these tunes out of my head while on the trail. This will be especially bad if the beat of the song approximately matches your step cadence. Choose wisely.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 10:37
I'd caution everyone to be careful what they listen to in the days BEFORE a hike. I did my first section hike when my son was almost 2 years old. As a result, I had lots of children's songs in my head.

In spite of beating my head against rocks and the occasional head first charge into a boulder, I could NOT get these tunes out of my head while on the trail. This will be especially bad if the beat of the song approximately matches your step cadence. Choose wisely.

This is the song that never ends.
It goes on and on my friends.
Someone started singing it not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because,

This is the song that never ends . . .

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Chance09
09-13-2010, 10:37
break stuff by limp bizkit

Carbo
09-13-2010, 10:49
The music I take with me is in my head (lightens the load).

When setting up camp, "Papa was a rollin' stone" seems to be the current loop.

Then Loreena McKennitt kicks in with bits of "The Mummer's Dance"... the wise owls call the breathless moon in the blue veil of the night."

Hiking up the kick-ass hills has been bringing on "Eye of the Tiger".

"Axel F" (Beverly Hills Cop) and "Sailing" - Chris Cross have been randomly playing.

Every couple of weeks the songs seem to change.

Luddite
09-13-2010, 11:25
Raw Power by Iggy Pop

garlic08
09-13-2010, 11:36
Where I hike, it's extremely important to be able to listen to the music of the rattlesnake, so nothing goes in my ears.

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 12:09
Anything from Incubus > Phish > Paul Oakenfold > Willie Nelson

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 12:25
Allman Brothers - Ramblin Man, Blue Skys,Jessica
Angels and Airwaves
Beatles - Here Comes the Sun(wake up and get going music)
Bellamy Brothers - Let Your Love Flow(play as you hike along a river or creek)
Bob Marley - Three Little Birds, Redemption Song
Bob Seeger - Travelin Man, Roll Me Away
Boston - Don't Look Back, Peace of Mind
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Cheryl Crowe - Everyday is a Winding Road
Chuck Mangione
David Grey
Eagles - Already Gone, Take it to the Limit, Take It Easy
Enya
Gloria Estefan - Get On you Feet(wake up and get going music)
Guns and Roses - Take Me Down to Paradise City, Patience
Jack Johson
Jesus Jones - Right Here Right Now There is No other Placxe I'd Rather Be(climbing music)
Jimmy Cliff - You Can Get It If You really Want(climbing music), I Can See Clearly Now That the Rain is Gone
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Joe Cocker - I Get High With A Little Help From My Friends
Kenny Loggins - Conviction of the Heart(toughing it out music)
Michael Buble - Feeling Good
Moby
Natalie Merchant - These are the Days(appreciation music)
Newsboys - Can't Keep a Good Man Down
Peter Frampton Dream Weaver
Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking(get going music), Sanctify Yourself
Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life, Roll With It, The Finer Things
Sting - Desert Rose(good for desert hikes)
Switchfoot
The Alarm - Rain In The Summertime(play when it's raining)
The New Radicals - You Get What you Give
The Verve Pipe - Bittersweet Syphony
Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dieing
Van Morrison - Days Like These
Whitesnake - Here I Go again

Asst Jazz, New Age, Contemporary Christion, Hip Hop(Eminem), Classic Rock, Pop, Hawaiian

Even though I bring an MP3 player you have to learn to turn the man-made music off and tune into the musical sounds of nature beating in rhthym with your hike just as so many posters have stated! Sometimes I enjoy a rest from the Mp3 player for a few days and tune into nature's sounds. They really are the sweetest sounds of all!

Tonus
09-13-2010, 12:27
I like to listen about an hour a day, usually at or near the end of the hiking day, especially if my feet are getting a little sore. My Pod is usually filled with a mixture of guitar heavy rock (Black Crowes, Cream, Los Lobos, Chickenfoot) and 1920's jazz, blues, and old timey country, especially stuff from the Appalachians.

Prettywoman0172
09-13-2010, 14:17
Ahhh, yes...metal. My favorite. Love all the bands you listed...but...

I have to admit I am an 80s hair metal wh*re :)

I always bring my MP3 player and crank up some Whardcore metal for the tough climbs.

Bands I listen to: Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed, Metallica, Cradle of Filth, Devildriver, Slipnot, Killswitch Engage, Godsmack, and Avenged Sevenfold among others.

Prettywoman0172
09-13-2010, 14:19
Oh, wait...you have mentioned my favorite band of all time in herre...The Black Crowes. I love them so much I have their artwork tattooed on my flesh...

I love my iPod and do think it could enhance the experience of hiking ... i cant exercise without it. If the battery dies before I am done my running pace slows considerably :)

A

I like to listen about an hour a day, usually at or near the end of the hiking day, especially if my feet are getting a little sore. My Pod is usually filled with a mixture of guitar heavy rock (Black Crowes, Cream, Los Lobos, Chickenfoot) and 1920's jazz, blues, and old timey country, especially stuff from the Appalachians.

Jonnycat
09-13-2010, 14:21
The music I take with me is in my head (lightens the load).

..."Sailing" - Chris Cross ....

How funny, I had that one in my head on my last section hike! :sun

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 14:31
I have to admit I am an 80s hair metal wh*re :) - PrettyWoman0172

Oh my gosh! Best stuff I heard all day!

Dogwood
09-13-2010, 14:35
In tribute to "Walking" Jim Stoltz I have to download some of his fine hiking music onto my MP3 player. Anyone no where I can get free downloads?

Luddite
09-13-2010, 14:45
No punks on Whiteblaze??

Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Reagan Youth
Minor Threat
Stiff Little Fingers
Ramones
?

Actually mostly when I hike I listen to early Bob Dylan

Torch09
09-13-2010, 16:33
Sometimes i feel the need to motivate those around me by bustin' out the small speaker i carry and jammin to some Dragonforce in the morning before the hiking begins. Generally while hiking i try to select music to fit my mood (or the mood i want to be in if its a bad day).

Augustana
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Cheap Trick
Coldplay
CCR
Green Day
Journey
Kansas
Linkin Park
MGMT
Nirvana
Oasis
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rush
Simon and Garfunkel
Social Distortion
Sublime
The Cure
The Eagles
The Gaslight Anthem
The Killers
The Who
Third Eye Blind
Vampire Weekend

...just to name a few

-SEEKER-
09-13-2010, 16:57
Lifehouse, Blondie, The Stones, The Who, Nickelback, Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Imbruglia, Linkin Park, Natalie Merchant, Collective Soul, Jefferson Airplane, Coldplay, Third Eye Blind, Train, Pink Floyd , Alanis Morissette , etc.
I keep the volume low enough that I have heard Timber Rattlers rattle at me.
My MP3 player uses a single AAA battery that only lasts about 6 hours of continuous play, so to lighten my load I probably won't take it with me from MA to ME next year.

perrito
09-13-2010, 17:04
It can sometimes be annoying to have a song stuck in your head while hiking, but sometimes you get lucky and have one that at least has a hiking pace to the rhythm. :rolleyes:

There she was just a-walkin' down the street, singin'
"Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do"
Snappin' her fingers and shufflin' her feet, singin'
She looked good (looked good), she looked fine (looked fine)
She looked good, she looked fine and I nearly lost my mind

Before I knew it she was walkin' next to me, singin'
Holdin' my hand just as natural as can be, singin'
We walked on (walked on) to my door (my door)
We walked on to my door, then we kissed a little more

Carbo
09-13-2010, 17:40
How funny, I had that one in my head on my last section hike! :sun
I changed the lyrics around a bit "... and if the wind is right you can hike away, and find tranquility. The trail can do miracles, just you wait and see, believe me..."

Now, if I could only carry a tune!:rolleyes:

johnnybgood
09-13-2010, 17:59
While hiking I pretty much tend to take in everything around me.

When I'm relaxing in my tent after dinner and before bedtime then it's whatever I'm in the mood for.
I have every imaginable genre of music on by nano . I'm a sophisicated listener you know .:cool:

Seriously though ... it's my daughters gift to me.:) I didn't really add much to an already diverse music library.

ChinMusic
09-13-2010, 18:06
Too many artists to list. I'll mention a few of the more obscure ones:

Adam Ant
Aliota-Haynes Jeremiah
Blue Oyster Cult
The Boomtown Rats
Bow Wow Wow
Buzz Poets
Cycle ****s from Hell
EBN-OZN
Falco
The Flying Lizards
Freedy Johnson
Harvey Danger
Kraftwerk
Missing Persons
Oingo Boingo
Romeo Void
'Til Tuesday
Violent Femmes
The Waitresses

Luddite
09-13-2010, 18:14
Violent Femmes

Come on dad, gimme the car tonight...

I love Violent Femmes

Sierra Echo
09-13-2010, 18:17
No punks on Whiteblaze??

Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Reagan Youth
Minor Threat
Stiff Little Fingers
Ramones
?

I'm a closet GG Allin fan. But don't tell anyone! Shhhhhhhhh

Windcatcher
09-13-2010, 20:27
Day hiking I don't usually listen to my I-pod, but I'll have it with me in my pack. My I-pod Nano has the radio function, so I can get local channels when car camping at local parks. On longer hikes, a playlist of some heavy stuff; Creed, Collective Soul, or Audioslave can get me pumped for a steep climb, or some easier stuff like Robert Plant & Alison Kraus' Raising Sand CD for a peaceful morning watching the fog lift & the wilderness come to life. Hanging out in the rain can bring out some Blues like; Clapton, Robert Cray, or Eddie Vedder. And of course, there's always a time when some Classic Rock might come in handy to have around.

Yes, nature is music and it's wonderful to see it unfold in front of you while outdoors, but I enjoy taking my music along for the walk.

philly
09-13-2010, 20:52
being a dead head, to me nothing is better to listen to on the trail in the camp site in my car.....**** thats all i listen to LOL

Sarcasm the elf
09-13-2010, 22:44
Good question, let me check my ipod shuffle: Ani DiFranco, Chopin, Dave Matthews (mostly live or rare performances), Eddie Vedder (Into the Wild soundtrack), Evanescence, Moby, Rasputina, Sigur Ros.

That said, I haven't updated what's on my shuffle in a year or two. I bring it whenever I go out on the trail but I usually end up only listening to it while falling asleep on the first night or two, and maybe for a few minutes here and there if I am frustrated with a section of the trail. After a couple of days I stop using it and it's actually a bit enjoyable to have the option to listen to music in the woods only to realize that you don't need the distraction.

RedneckRye
09-14-2010, 00:01
I'm a closet GG Allin fan. But don't tell anyone! Shhhhhhhhh

I saw GG way back in '89 here in Ohio.
Wow.
The most amazing , terrifying punk rock 17 minutes of my life.

7 Seconds.
Circle Jerks.
MDC.
And the best American band EVER, The Ramones.

hontassquirt
09-14-2010, 00:23
pink floyd
30 seconds to mars
crosby, stills and nash (sometimes young)
coldplay
queen
violent femmes
system of a down
blue october
kings of leon
incubus
band of horses
tv on the radio
the duke spirit
bruce springsteen
radiohead
otis redding
tokyo police club
frank sinatra
the platters
pearl jam (moreso, just vedder solo)
neil diamond
faces
johnny cash
the honorary title
james taylor
jack johnson
the killers
led zeppelin
the doors
gorillaz
elbow
fleetwood mac
harry connick jr.
ramones
ray lamontagne
shawn mcdonald
brani carlile
cat power
the cranberries
linkin park
credence clearwater revival
cream
modest mouse
lynyrd skynyrd
the who
al green
alanis morissette
the allman brothers
avenged sevenfold
billie holiday
bob dylan
bob marley

just to name a few

Bear Bag
09-14-2010, 00:39
The Happy Wanderer. Of course!

IronGutsTommy
09-14-2010, 01:05
definitely queen and tom waits. if you havent discovered tom waits yet everyone owes it to themselves to hear him out

Sierra Echo
09-14-2010, 06:11
I saw GG way back in '89 here in Ohio.
Wow.
The most amazing , terrifying punk rock 17 minutes of my life.

7 Seconds.
Circle Jerks.
MDC.
And the best American band EVER, The Ramones.

17 minutes? Did he get kicked off stage that fast? LOL

double d
09-14-2010, 10:08
Ringo's song,"You know it dont' come easy" comes to mind!!!!

Benjamin Putnam
09-14-2010, 10:29
Anything that gets you in a up beat mood. I love to listen to nature but music is a great way to get your spirits and keep you going an extra few miles. I wouldn't recommend listening to it all the time on the trail because (at least with me) experiencing nature is a big part of hiking. Different Socks is right though, you will hit those days where the trail almost seems to be working against you and music is a great way to tune out the pain and keep walking. It also is a great way to kind of break up the more monotonous parts of a trail.

IronGutsTommy
09-15-2010, 01:19
a good named band for a thru hike.. Journey.. i defy you to summit one of the taller mountains while Journey's "Faithfully" is jamming and Steve perry's croaning " IM STILLLLLL YOUUUURRRRSSSS!!!!!!" and not be moved

Sweetpea-NC
09-15-2010, 10:26
On the trail, I usually like listening to the leaves and twigs crunching and snapping underneath my boots or my dogs breathing/panting along behind me. Sometimes I get a song stuck in my head, but usually it's just the leaves rustling in the wind.

mad4scrapping
09-15-2010, 13:27
All Elton, all the time.

hontassquirt
09-15-2010, 21:47
Chopin

nice.......

daylaandjasper
09-15-2010, 21:59
I like to listen to music while hiking. Back in 2001 before mp3 players were everywhere, I got a little radio in Pearisburg and carried it the rest of the way. I still felt starved for music.

I hiked 800 miles in 2010 with my husband Didgeridue who would go nuts without music- we each carried 2Gig Panasonic MP3 players that ran 80 hours + on one AA battery. And even better- when our cameras that ran on AA were done with batteries- they still had enough juice in them to run the MP3 players for probably 30 hours more.I would also suggest having a player that has a random mode.

I second carrying some Walkin Jim on your mp3 player.

I think my all time favorite hiking song is Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne.

IronGutsTommy
09-15-2010, 23:46
favorite daytime song.. under pressure by queen and david bowie..
favorite nightime hike song.. beethovens moonlight sonata, amzingly powerful, with a touch of scariness to enhance the silence

Serial 07
09-16-2010, 14:20
Lotsa bob marley...

chief
09-16-2010, 14:22
"Those who can't bear to be without a constant source of music are unbearable to both themselves and their surroundings" - IPod Anonymous (dedicated to stamping out the huh! generation)

wvgrinder
09-16-2010, 14:36
No punks on Whiteblaze??

Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Reagan Youth
Minor Threat
Stiff Little Fingers
Ramones
?

A friend of mine put the reggae tribute to Dylan (Is it rolling Bob?) on my player for my recent LT e2e. It ended up being some of my favorite hiking music. But nothing beats Paul Simon's Graceland :sun

Luddite
09-16-2010, 14:37
"Those who can't bear to be without a constant source of music are unbearable to both themselves and their surroundings" - IPod Anonymous (dedicated to stamping out the huh! generation)

Huh!

What is iPod Anonymous?

wvgrinder
09-16-2010, 18:53
I met this dude at a Dead show in '89. His music still touches my soul & is great to hike to.

http://raccoonsongs.com/

Joker4ink
10-04-2010, 23:14
When I hike, I don't like listening to music. I have found myself more keen to the surroundings and love hearing new things too. When I do turn in for the night I like keeping the iPod on for a little bit...sometimes I don't like the sounds at night.

Bear Cables
10-04-2010, 23:19
I hike to the music I provide as I make up silly songs about the hike. Sometimes I hike to old hymns from my childhood country church.

Carbo
10-07-2010, 20:11
Just having fun off the trail, Rodney Holmes is a good way to keep the beat up. Great drummer!

Lone Wolf
10-07-2010, 20:18
me? i listen to bird songs and the wind whispering thru the trees and the rustle of the autumn leaves. nature is music. so zen. peace

Wise Old Owl
10-07-2010, 22:20
My Wife! (the cell phone rings. One has to pick up.......):D:)

Carbo
10-07-2010, 22:22
On the trail, the sounds of the the wind, birds, and the music in my mind carries me away. Thank goodness for the rattler that stunned me, the bear that grunted as it ran off, and the thunder storm; all of which finally brought me back to hiking.

Just the way it is. Does it get any better?

Dogwood
10-08-2010, 01:03
Up with the sun, Gone with the wind
And, she always said I was lazy

Leaving my home, Leaving my friends
Hiking(running) when things get too crazy

Out to the trail(road)
Out underneath the stars
Feeling the breeze
Passing the trees(cars)

Woman have come
Woman have gone
Everyone trying to cage me
Yeah
Some were so sweet I barely got free
Others, they only raised me
Sometimes at night I see their faces
I feel the traces they've left on my soul

And, those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul
I tell ya, those are the memories that make me a wealthy soul

Travelin Man
Love when I can

TOW
10-08-2010, 07:55
"I scratch my butt and pick my nose with the same finger" by "The One Finger Band."

brotheral
10-08-2010, 08:06
me? i listen to bird songs and the wind whispering thru the trees and the rustle of the autumn leaves. nature is music. so zen. peace

I never thought of listening to "Music" while hiking. I like to breath in everything around me....

StorminMormon
10-08-2010, 09:09
Here's a list of songs I listen to leading up to the trail, and sometimes "on" the trail. I usually only listen to music for a little bit just before sleeping or maybe just after waking up. When I'm actually hiking - I use my ears to enjoy the outdoors and to help keep me safe. I like Eddie Vedder, Bob Dylan, Neil Diamond, and a lot of other contemporary stuff to help me get excited about hiking...helps get me energized.

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/19571051787

BostonPro
10-12-2010, 10:01
I definitely listen to music. I'll go on hiking for a while but like someone had mentioned before, the playlist of babbling brooks, crunching leaves and the wonderful wind blowing gets REALLY OLD. I love nature as much as the next hiker but I also am a music junky. So yes, I listen to a lot of music- reggae, hip hop, alternative, jazz, motown, anything really.

sly dog
10-12-2010, 10:29
Deffinatly gotta carry tunes, dont always use them but love to have them when the mood strikes. Dylan, the dead, talking heads, Del McCoury (or any good bluegrass).

Poodles!
10-12-2010, 10:35
I don't listen to music when hiking normally. In camp, in my bag, under the stars (hopefully) is when I listen. My tastes change frequently. My current outdoor tunes favorites are:

Fugazi
Gogol Bordello
John Prine
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
DeVotchka
Iron and Wine
Robert Johnson
Arlo Guthrie
Ani Difranco
Otis Redding
Tool
Quicksand
Inside Out
Grotus

mudhead
10-12-2010, 10:51

Leaves sound dry yet?

SassyWindsor
08-07-2012, 16:36
Dave Loggins should do a song about the AT. He lives near the trail (Mountain City, TN) and I'm sure he could do it. He did a good job on the Master's Golf Tournament Song "Augusta".

Hairbear
08-07-2012, 18:09
classical, jazz, blues, rap,solid gold countrybut mosty black label society,ac dc ,hendrix, zepplin,doors,kinks,dead,neil young,buffalo springfield,stevie ray,mellisa ethridge,anything sammy except van halen.if you want to see me die screaming play bruce spingstien.

rocketsocks
08-07-2012, 19:20
Lately I've been into audio books, recently finished and will revisit "One Mans Wilderness" about Richard Proennecke, who lived in the woods at Twin Lakes, Alaska....great book, like Thoreau he built his own cabin, and was content to just be......and in doing that, had a full life filled with things not held in the hand...and the things that were....many he made himself....check it out, also a Documentary.

Currently listening to "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau, enjoying it very much, he's a little angry bout things, I like that......

I also have some "Dead" on my ipod, just to break things up a bit...

Train Wreck
08-07-2012, 19:50
Monition

A FAINT wind, blowing from World's End,
Made strange the city street,
A strange sound mingled in the fall
Of the familiar feet.

Something unseen whirled with the leaves
To tap on door and sill.
Something unknown went whispering by
Even when the wind was still.

And men looked up with startled eyes,
And hurried on their way,
As if they had been called, and told
How brief their day.

- Sir Charles G.D.Roberts

I like this poem very much!
:)

Train Wreck
08-07-2012, 19:56
On any hard stretch of trail, the sound of the world's tiniest violin as my hiking partner p*sses and moans about the climb, his knees, the climb, the trail, the descent, his knees, etc...same song , different verse :p

Papa D
08-07-2012, 19:59
If I want to do a really big mile day - - like 40 or so, I might listen to some epic rock stuff like Boston, Queen and Rush along with some pop songs - Key$ha, Lady Gaga, and then some indie stuff like Modern Skirts and Of Montreal - - now, that said, I RARELY listen to music "WHILE HIKING" because I like the sounds of the forest so much: the crickets, the birds, the wind, water, etc.

When I camp, I like what is referred to as "alt-country" - - Son Volt, Wilco, Railroad Earth, the Jayhawks, Neil Young, Drive by Truckers, the Grateful Dead, etc.

P-Train
08-07-2012, 21:02
Don't really listen to music because I need to listen to my surroundings when I hike. Going to sleep is a different story.

Fleet Foxes or My morning Jacket

Hairbear
08-07-2012, 21:06
I met this dude at a Dead show in '89. His music still touches my soul & is great to hike to.

http://raccoonsongs.com/ did this guy play with the outlaws late in the 90s

Hairbear
08-07-2012, 21:12
Lately I've been into audio books, recently finished and will revisit "One Mans Wilderness" about Richard Proennecke, who lived in the woods at Twin Lakes, Alaska....great book, like Thoreau he built his own cabin, and was content to just be......and in doing that, had a full life filled with things not held in the hand...and the things that were....many he made himself....check it out, also a Documentary.

Currently listening to "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau, enjoying it very much, he's a little angry bout things, I like that......

I also have some "Dead" on my ipod, just to break things up a bit... do you think ol henry david would say water was free

Hairbear
08-07-2012, 21:15
richard proennecke what a legend.the thigs he acomplished were amazing

Deer Hunter
08-07-2012, 21:32
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Allman Brothers
Jefferson Starship
ELO
Earth Wind and Fire
Fleetwood Mac
Grand Funk Railroad
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Marshall Tucker Band
Pink Floyd
REM
The Doors
Van Halen
Willie Nelson

Nar Nar
08-10-2012, 10:42
Metalcore. It's heavy and really doesn't fit the scenery but it's heavy and it keeps me determined to push on. I find that the music I listen to can be as emotionally attaching as hiking can be for me, so why not combine the two?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69I_rNX3ZdQ

Altarboy
08-11-2012, 17:23
Nothing while hiking, but later by the fire I love to listen to John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Seals and Croft, Al Stewart and the like. I love older metal and especially Frank Zappa-just not in the woods.

SCRUB HIKER
08-11-2012, 17:54
"The Mountain Song," by Donovan. Chorus:

First, there is a mountain,
Then there is no mountain,
Then there is.
First, there is a mountain,
Then there is no mountain,
Then there is.

There's some other stuff about caterpillars, snails, avalanches and an apostrophic cry to a mystery woman named Juanita at the end, but for summing up the AT in a single chorus, nothing beats this.

chiefiepoo
08-11-2012, 20:11
None while walking. Breaktime some Celtic, Blues, Classic C&W, 60's R&R, . Night time to wind down is classic with Coplands Appalachian Spring, some Nocturnes or Chopin being favorites. As of 8/1 added Beatles When I'm 64.

BradMT
08-11-2012, 20:13
I will NEVER understand backpacking with an ipod stuck to one's head. Never.

Sarcasm the elf
08-28-2012, 21:18
Personally I rarely listen to music while hiking. I do bring an iPad shuffle that I listen to when I'm going to sleep the first few nights on the trail. Its got a lot of music on it but I almost always end up listening to pearl jam or Eddie Vedder when I'm falling asleep, in my tent.

That said, I just heard this absolutely awesome cover today, this is going on my iPod for my next hike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBg7Aj6PJko&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cookerhiker
08-28-2012, 21:24
#1 Choice is the White-throated Sparrow. Other good ones in the AT corridor are chickadees, towhees, and cardinals.

In the west, I settle for the Stellars Jay.

Sarcasm the elf
08-28-2012, 21:25
#1 Choice is the White-throated Sparrow. Other good ones in the AT corridor are chickadees, towhees, and cardinals.

Excellent answer.:sun

johnnybgood
08-28-2012, 21:47

Me like those too.:) I also like listening to the Mourning Doves,Veerys,and Barred Owls.

Sarcasm the elf
04-26-2018, 23:26
https://youtu.be/hibS2kQAFxQ

https://youtu.be/hibS2kQAFxQ (https://youtu.be/hibS2kQAFxQ)

MuddyWaters
04-27-2018, 13:09
Occassionally part of a random song becomes cadence in head....lasts for a long time...hrs to days. All of a sudden you realize you subconsciously singing it..then its stuck there.

evyck da fleet
04-27-2018, 15:34
I carried an MP3 player to listen to music while doing laundry in town and in my tent at night before I could fall asleep and/or to block out others who were still up nearby.

The unanticipated benefit to listening at night was to replace the crappy song I heard in town or on the radio on the ride back to the trail out of my head.

Traveler
04-27-2018, 19:27
I find German beer hall fight songs to be of particular interest these days....

BuckeyeBill
04-28-2018, 13:24
I don't listen to anything while hiking. I prefer to hear what is around me, be it friend or foe.

MtDoraDave
04-28-2018, 17:44
That.
And what Muddy said. A song (or verse) will pop into my head and stay for a while, until something takes its place.

I like music, but never needed it on cycling workouts or for hiking.

I do like to listen to books, but wouldn't do that on a hike. After the hike, I could tell you about the book(s), but I couldn't tell you about my walk. I'm out there for the experience. Listening to music or books would take away from that. For me.

RangerZ
04-28-2018, 23:25
I don't listen to anything while hiking. I prefer to hear what is around me, be it friend or foe.

+1 but maybe dowop at night. At Fontana and haven’t listened to any yet.

Knee Jerk
04-30-2018, 11:16
I don't listen to music at all when hiking or biking or kayaking or working out. It's too distracting.

Gambit McCrae
04-30-2018, 11:34
For years I listened to music while hiking...Every since my 16 day trip last October, I just don't have a desire. Too many wonderful sounds of nature and now I enjoy listening to that.

Traffic Jam
05-06-2018, 08:06
Occassionally part of a random song becomes cadence in head....lasts for a long time...hrs to days. All of a sudden you realize you subconsciously singing it..then its stuck there.
My entire life, my dad has made up songs with only a few words that repeat over and over. I like to sing them when hiking but then hear ‘Pinto beans, pinto beans, we’re gonna have some pinto beans’ in my subconscious all night long.

Irish fiddle tunes are a problem also. Last night is was McFarley’s Reel.

:)

greenmtnboy
05-06-2018, 10:12
Bird songs, I can't imagine wearing headphones in the outdoors.

Heliotrope
05-06-2018, 11:25

Usually nature sounds on MP3 player. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foodbag
05-06-2018, 14:13
Any Sesame Street tune will do, for a continuous loop that runs in your head for miles and miles and miles. I also find that listening to the theme song from The Jetsons in my head will accomplish the same thing. No music player required :(

MtDoraDave
05-06-2018, 16:21
Any Sesame Street tune will do, for a continuous loop that runs in your head for miles and miles and miles. I also find that listening to the theme song from The Jetsons in my head will accomplish the same thing. No music player required :(

Here's another, no player required:

Mana Mana
Do Doo do doodoo
Mana Mana
Do doodoo do....

BuckeyeBill
05-06-2018, 16:30
Sounds of a bear grunting, a rattle snake rattling, the birds speaking several different languages (none of which I know but they sound great), the sounds of the elk in rut and all of this can be heard without any electronic hardware to carry.

TSWisla
05-07-2018, 23:03
I don't listen to music, but if I did, I would listen to the Brian Jonestown Massacre!

Jayne
05-08-2018, 00:23
There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go, no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone

shelb
05-08-2018, 22:30
The track from "Into the Wild." Not only inspiring, but relaxing too!

greenpete
05-09-2018, 09:32
I love both music and nature too much to combine the two and have one distract from the other. I feel the same way about music and sex.

illabelle
05-09-2018, 10:46

I don't listen to music at all when hiking or biking or kayaking or working out. It's too distracting.

For years I listened to music while hiking...Every since my 16 day trip last October, I just don't have a desire. Too many wonderful sounds of nature and now I enjoy listening to that.

Bird songs, I can't imagine wearing headphones in the outdoors.

Sounds of a bear grunting, a rattle snake rattling, the birds speaking several different languages (none of which I know but they sound great), the sounds of the elk in rut and all of this can be heard without any electronic hardware to carry.

I love both music and nature too much to combine the two and have one distract from the other. I feel the same way about music and sex.

I didn't have much interest in this thread and hadn't opened it until now when I saw that it was up over 100 posts. How refreshing to see so many others who treasure the "music of the spheres."

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--
His hand the wonders wrought.

The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,
He speaks to me everywhere.

O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King: let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let earth be glad!

My apologies to the atheists. Just scroll on by.....

Lnj
05-09-2018, 12:11
I didn't have much interest in this thread and hadn't opened it until now when I saw that it was up over 100 posts. How refreshing to see so many others who treasure the "music of the spheres."

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--
His hand the wonders wrought.

The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass,
He speaks to me everywhere.

O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King: let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let earth be glad!

My apologies to the atheists. Just scroll on by.....
:banana:clap:clap

randy.shopher
05-09-2018, 15:14
Hi-ho, hi-hi.it's off to work we go.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

randy.shopher
05-09-2018, 15:15
Hi-ho, hi-ho. it's off to work we go.